• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employed or Self Employed ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employed or Self Employed ?

Hello everyone, I am so confused with this I am hoping someone can help me, I will be as brief as I can be.

For the past 3-4 years I have worked as a Door Supervisor, at the same ( and only club ) I worked set nights, set times, hourley pay,
    and have worked nowhere else during this period, I was told what to do, Example, stand on the door, stand upstairs, stand in the smoking yard, go to town with the assistant manager and check if other clubs are busy, I had my own accountant, have been a sole trader ( Security Company ) and within the last 4 weeks have opened a Ltd company Security Company, although I have no other work and never have either as a sole trader or Ltd Company, I invoiced the owner with the amount of hours worked and total cost with an invoice from my sole trader or ltd company, one other thing is that I had another door supervisors pay on my cheque, when the cheque cleared I gave him his wages, now I have spoken to ACAS about my rights, and they said the fact I have another doormans wages on my cheque means nothing, the CAB said because of how I work etc etc etc I am an employee, even though I have a sole trader/ltd company, one solicitor said I have all the signs of an employee but the fact other peoples pay goes on my cheque indicates I am a company, I am so confused with all this, I have been dismissed so unfairly, and wrongly by my employer ( or new management ) more to the point, I was told of my dismissal over the phone with no reason given after years of loyalty professionalism and reliability, I have clearly been pooped on from a great height and don't want to start greivence letters/ tribunal proceedings if I have no chance of winning, can anyone advise?
    Tags: None

Re: Employed or Self Employed ?

Was tax and NI deducted by your employer

Comment

No it was not deducted

Comment

Others will know better but seems you may be classed as self employed together with the tax benefits you should have gained with a good accountant problem comes as of now when its time for getting benefits or taking action for dismisall

Comment

I agree the rest sounds like you would be classed as an employee however....

'' I had another door supervisors pay on my cheque,''

I think that is relevant, as it would intimate that the other door supervisor was your employee. When you invoiced the firm did you invoice for just your own hours or for his as well?
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Invoices had number of door staff, which was almost always 2, days worked, start and finish times, total hours, for all door staff, and total cost
            I was the head doorman so I sorted everything out

Comment

You were invoicing the club for your hours you worked their. You were therefore a self a self employed freelance security guard, so to speak, that paid your own NI and Tax. Once you became a limited company, it was the limited company invoicing the club instead, as a managing director you are no longer self employed but an employee of your limited company (not the club) and the TAX and NI is paid via the limited company.

As per the other persons wages, where they included in the invoices to the club both before and after you set up a limited company? If so then you need to stop accepting payment for his wages, and tell the club they need to pay him directly as a self employed person. Otherwise you may find that that person is now your employee and you would have to pay TAX and NI contributions from his wages on his behalf.

So you need to get in writing, either by drawing up a contract stating the other person is self employed and is responsible for paying his/her own tax and NI. But you also need to speak to the club first and see if they have a contract employing him/her as self employed contractor. Under no circumstances as a limited company, should you be accepting payments for another person or work not associated with your company.

So you were never an employee of the club from the way you have described how you invoiced them and paid your own NI and Tax. So you have not been dismissed, in fact the club has simply terminated the contract between you and your limited company (Key Point - Was their a written contract between you and the club?). Has the other person also had his services terminated by the club? Either way, stop taking payments for the other person.

As your a limited company, my best advice for you now, would be to work on marketing your company, handing out leaflets to clubs and pubs offering yourself as a door supervisor, you may need to lower your asking price to be competitive and to get the work you need, and also contact some of your colleagues in the industry and ask them to come work for your company. Alternatively, close the limited company and go back to being self employed, as there is far less red tape involved.
              Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Originally posted by hotmrw View Post
                Invoices had number of door staff, which was almost always 2, days worked, start and finish times, total hours, for all door staff, and total cost
                I was the head doorman so I sorted everything out
                And what has happened to the other door staff now you have been dismissed? (ie if they were your employees and they have stopped requiring the services of your company then they go too?)

(sorry teaboy didn't see your post - but yes all that too lol)
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

They got rid of me and the other Door Supervisor, they did ask him back but he refused, he now works at another Nightclub, I keep getting told different things, the only face to face meeting I have had was with an old guy at the CAB who said in his opinion I was clearly an employee
                  and that I have been wrongly, and unfairly dismissed, my problem is I was well and truly sh*t on from a great height, and I don't want to start a case I have no chance of winning, but I feel I should stand up for my rights, the injustice of it all has really got me down. it is distinguishing my employment status that seems to be the problem, all tests done online indicate 100% an employee however one solicitor told me that the fact I get another doormans wages indicates I am not an employee, so lost with all this

Comment

Who paid the NI and PAYE of the other doormen ?
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

I have no idea who paid there NI and PAYE.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X