• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Consumer Credit: Deep dives into Credit cards and Unauthorised overdrafts - FCA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consumer Credit: Deep dives into Credit cards and Unauthorised overdrafts - FCA

Interesting background research into unauthorised overdrafts and consumer attitudes from April 2014

5.7.4. Issues arising due to bank behaviour

No respondents in the sample saw the current account provider as responsible for the consumers’ overuse of an overdraft. The fact that they saw the overdraft as an entitlement, and integral to the current account, did mean that they saw issues arising in connection with the overdraft as customer service issues. Not all issues were service related – the key bank driven issues arising out of the research can be seen below:

 Available funds – there is no doubt that the presentation of available funds by the banks, as the balance in credit plus the overdraft facility, serves to reinforce the view in the consumer’s mind that this is their money and that they are entitled to use it whenever and however they wish.

 Packaged accounts – although consumers are not directly complaining about this, there are comments that it would be very difficult to assess the value and fairness of overdraft charges within a packaged account, as it is so tied up with the account fee (which is in turn linked to all the features of that account).

 The raising of overdraft limits – not an issue that worried consumers unduly, but they reported that overdraft limits were quickly raised by banks so that a £200 overdraft facility could quickly become a £1,000 overdraft facility. The assumption among consumers was that as the banks knew about their financial situation to a far greater extent than a credit card company, then they would not raise the limit to a level that the bank thought unsustainable. This trust placed by the consumers in their bank was a striking feature of the overdraft sample

 Alerts and warnings – One of the key service related issues which consumers felt providers could be better at was to provide warnings when funds were close to running out, and/or to provide a text alert service giving the account holder time to pay funds into their account to cover any unexpected shortfall

 Inconsistent application/waiving of charges – A further area where customers felt customer service could be improved was to make charges for unauthorised overdraft usage consistent across all firms, and for all firms to adopt a consistent policy towards waiving those charges (first offence only), rather than the current subjective approach
    Attached Files
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

Re: Consumer Credit: Deep dives into Credit cards and Unauthorised overdrafts - FCA

Thanks for that , interesting

Comment

Re: Consumer Credit: Deep dives into Credit cards and Unauthorised overdrafts - FCA

A customer can REFUSE an overdraft quite easy don't they understand Banks make MONEY from overdrafts that's why they charge interest and fees

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
        A customer can REFUSE an overdraft quite easy
        They can't when unpaid item charges are applied.

Comment

I do think the main thing I have seen in the past is that consumers forget that an overdraft can only be taken once, it is just a rolling loan, and should only be used on rare occasions as a safety net.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post

In defence of banks (eh???) and possibly sounding a little MSE'ish I have never had any issue with an overdraft on my Lloyds basic account. I don't have an overdraft and if I do get a charge of £12 it doesn't take me into any overdraft but comes out when money goes in - therefore its impossible to get charges on charges - and the charge is only £12. The only DD I have set up is for the telephone bill because Virgin require it (they need a slap for that) BUT I usually pay by debit card direct online a few days before it would be called for so its quite unusual I m*ck it up and a DD gets through, bounces and gets a charge.

But then I suppose I've been quite involved in looking at how the system works and am fully aware of bank charges and overdrafts and the issues they can cause, more so than the average consumer I'd say, so I'm naturally as on top of it as I can be.
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
              Indeed you CAN'T just refuse an overdraft. I have a Barclays business account without an O/D facility, it went overdrawn by over £300 when I wasn't using it for a couple of years or so, all from charges applied by Barclays themselves. The charges accumulated over a period of just over a year, during which the unarranged O/D was never defaulted or recalled (I still use the account) but they just piled on the charges, so when money went in again, it got automatically paid off.

Some of the charges were for add-ons I didn't even request, however, being a ltd account made it harder to reclaim them, or so I was told at the time.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X