• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Directions Questionaire (small Claims Track)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Directions Questionaire (small Claims Track)

Hi All,

Still battling against Lowell/Bryan Ca0rter Solicitors! (on behalf of my mother)

I have received a Directions Questionnaire(Small Claims Track) and one of the first questions is whether or not I agree with it being allocated to the Small Claims Mediation Service.

A simple yes or no, but I'm not sure which one I should go for. I never received a copy of the documents they have (even though I did request them) and am unsure how each answer would affect my potential defence/options.

Any thoughts?

Kind Regards
    Tags: None

Re: Directions Questionaire (small Claims Track)

It is customary to accept the Mediation option...though it rarely comes to anything.

So presumably you have already defended this claim? What wording did you use?
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

The previous defence was that it was statute barred and on that reason it was not our intention to pay. Or words to that effect.

It was over 6 years ago! They didn't respond to my crp/cpr? requests stating that it would be most probably put into the small claims court, even though I requested twice for each (on the advice of the forums on here) and I never got my £1 P/O back :P) so the crp/cpr? requests did not apply.

I just don't want my mum being stuck with court fees as well as the money they are trying to 'recover'.

Thank You

Comment

The CPR requests should not have cost anything. Brian Carter are notorious for denying CPR 31.14 and refusing defence extensions. My feeling is that this is an abuse of their duties towards your mother as a Litigant in Person. Complain to the Legal Ombudsman http://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/prob...solicitor.page

I assume the £1 fee was for a CCA request for a copy of the agreement? If they have not complied with that then they are in breach of s.78 CCA and the debt cannot be enforced.

So this needs to be robustly defended on s.5 Limitation Act 1980 AND Breach of s.78 CCA.

How much is their claim for?
        "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Hi

There claim is for £1166.89 for a catalogue.

Am I being fool hardy in thinking I can take the information I have gathered and the above and present this as a defence?

I also looked into my partners credit report recently as I remember he had a run in with Lowell some years back now, and I found that Lowell had put a defaulted debt on the report (upon purchasing it from another company) This debt was also six years old or more.

Do you think they would have done the same thing here and try to argue its not 6 years old as my mother has recently 'defaulted'?

Thank You

Comment

You could do with knowing for definite the last date of payment and what the terms say about missed payments. My understanding is that if the terms, for e.g, say that after two missed payments a default will (or may) be issued and the full balance becomes due, then the date of that missed payment is the cause of action and the limitation period starts from that date, regardless of whether or not they have actually issued a default. The date of the default registered on your credit file should be no more than 6 months from the cause of action date. If they try to argue that the limitation period runs from the date of default, then they are being very silly and an act of desperation to get you to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Jametch View Post
              I have received a Directions Questionnaire(Small Claims Track) and one of the first questions is whether or not I agree with it being allocated to the Small Claims Mediation Service.

A simple yes or no, but I'm not sure which one I should go for. I never received a copy of the documents they have (even though I did request them) and am unsure how each answer would affect my potential defence/options.
              The previous defence was that it was statute barred and on that reason it was not our intention to pay. Or words to that effect.
              There claim is for £1166.89 for a catalogue.

Am I being fool hardy in thinking I can take the information I have gathered and the above and present this as a defence?
              From the above, a defence has already been submitted and the case has been allocated, so you wouldn't be presenting another defence. Defences can be amended but it doesn't look like there's any reason to do so in this case, a SBd defence has been submitted and the info you have suggests that's still the case. SBd is an absolute defence and the onus would be on the claimant to PROVE that it isn't, by showing payments or written acknowledgment in the past 6 years. Default dates on credit files mean nothing for the purposes of limitation. :thumb:

Comment

I also looked into my partners credit report recently as I remember he had a run in with Lowell some years back now, and I found that Lowell had put a defaulted debt on the report (upon purchasing it from another company) This debt was also six years old or more.

Do you think they would have done the same thing here and try to argue its not 6 years old as my mother has recently 'defaulted'?
                Originally posted by panther12 View Post
                You could do with knowing for definite the last date of payment and what the terms say about missed payments. My understanding is that if the terms, for e.g, say that after two missed payments a default will (or may) be issued and the full balance becomes due, then the date of that missed payment is the cause of action and the limitation period starts from that date, regardless of whether or not they have actually issued a default. The date of the default registered on your credit file should be no more than 6 months from the cause of action date. If they try to argue that the limitation period runs from the date of default, then they are being very silly and an act of desperation to get you to pay.
                Default dates on credit files have no bearing on limitation periods. A lot of people make payments after defaulting, for example, through a DMP or a payment arrangement, often for years, in which case the debt could still be alive well after the default has dropped off.

The 3 to 6 month period to record a default refers to the ICO guidance on reporting to the CRAs, not the limitation period.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X