• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell/BW Legal/Red/Hamptons Legal/Hutchison 3G/County Court Business Centre

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell/BW Legal/Red/Hamptons Legal/Hutchison 3G/County Court Business Centre

Hi,

Back in September 2008 I entered into an agreement with 3 for mobile broadband (USB dongle) for about £40pcm which entitled me to a free Dell laptop. I paid regular monthly amounts until June 2010 at which point I informed them I wanted to cancel my contract. My memory is hazy and I have no paperwork but I think I also cancelled the DD at the same time I phoned them. On 1st September 2010 I made a payment to BPO Collections for £51 which I think was the outstanding amount I owed after cancelling my 3 DD too early.

In March 2011 I thought I was extending my mobile broadband contract but for a lesser amount at just £6.79 per month. It would appear as though 3 considered this as a new contract even though I was continuing to use the same USB dongle. I continued paying for this new contract until March 2013 when I cancelled it and allowed the final DD to be taken.

When I look at my Experian Credit File there is an entry for Hutchison 3G UK LTD which was started on 18th August 2008 (in line with the original agreement in the first paragraph above) which has a current balance of “settled” and a settlement date of 28th February 2013 (which is also in line with the cancelling of the lesser amount contract as per paragraph 2 above).

It would appear as though my credit file considers the two agreements as one which was what I was led to believe by 3. It also appears as though as far as Experian are concerned the account is settled.

In about October 2013 I started to get letters from Lowell Portfolio about an outstanding amount of £382.46 – Original company name: Three Mobile. I have ignored these letters as they never actually amounted to any action against me and were always just inviting me to settle the debt. The letters changed from Lowell to Red Debt Collections and finally Hamptons Legal. No letter actually said they were going to take action but always used terms such as “we may take action” or “we could do the following” etc.

I have an addition entry on my Experian Credit file for Lowell Portfolio which was started on 12th June 2010 (the time I thought I’d cancelled my original contract – para. 1 above) and currently has a status of “Default” and a current balance of £382.

On the 6th May I have now received a Claim Form from “The County Court Business Centre” where the claimant is Lowell Portfolio. They have taken the £382.46 and added £53.36 in interest, £35 court fee, and £50 solicitors’ costs so the total amount of the claim is £520.82.

My question is how do I follow this up? I assume I am required to respond and my choices are:

• Admit the claim and request time to pay
    • Admit part of the claim
    • Dispute the claim in full or in part
    • Request 28 days to prepare my defence
    • Do nothing.

Although I have no supporting paperwork for either of the contracts (paragraph 1 and 2 above) I am assuming that the debt has occurred because of an added charge from when I cancelled the DD too early. I was also under the impression that I had paid everything I owed when I made the payment to BPO collections in September 2010.
    I have tried to give as much information about this as possible but my apologies if I have confused you! I’m hoping someone will read and digest the above and help me with my next course of action.

Thank you in advance,

Paul.

Re: Lowell/BW Legal/Red/Hamptons Legal/Hutchison 3G/County Court Business Centre

Hi and welcome
    Originally posted by p.lonsdale View Post

My question is how do I follow this up? I assume I am required to respond and my choices are:
    If you don't, the claimant will obtain default judgment against you, leaving you with a CCJ. :scared:

• Admit the claim and request time to pay
    • Admit part of the claim
    • Dispute the claim in full or in part
    Any of these options would leave you with a CCJ, at least for the part you admit.
    • Request 28 days to prepare my defence
    • Do nothing.
    If you acknowledge the claim, you get a total of 28 days (from date of service), to submit a defence, but this only applies if you say you intend to defend the ENTIRE CLAIM at the time of acknowledgment. If yo do nothing, the claimant will get default judgment against you. :incourt:

You may want to look at this thread: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...it-Court-Claim

Bear in mind the CCA request does not apply to a mobile contract.

Comment

Re: Lowell/BW Legal/Red/Hamptons Legal/Hutchison 3G/County Court Business Centre

If I acknowledge the claim and tell them I am intending to defend it but am unsuccessful what will the worst case scenario be? Will I get a CCJ for that amount or will it go up because of more legal fees?

Also, as it is for a mobile broadband contract and not a credit card/loan etc, I understand that I can't send a CCA request so what is the alternative? Just skip that step and go straight to CPR request?

Thanks for the link.

Comment

If you acknowledge the claim as 'intend to defend in full' and send a CPR request off that will be a good start. The Acknowledgement of service isn't binding and once you have the relevent information about the debt you can decide whether to defend or admit and offer to pay, or negotiate directly with the claimants.

You are quite right that a CCA request isn't applicable to a mobile phone debt, but their claim still relies on the contract - and as such they should supply a copy of that contract for inspection. They should also supply details how the debt is made up as you didn't think you owed anything on the account.

If you can type out the particulars of claim that would be of help.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank you. I will go ahead and follow the procedure in the link from the first reply above.

One of the steps is to create a thread called "Lowell Portfolio v p.lonsdale", shall I just continue to use this thread instead or start a new one as suggested?

Comment

No just carry on in this one, you started off with all the relevant information All you're missing is the particulars of claim off the claim form.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

LOWELLl PORTFOLIO 1 LTD v PAUL LONSDALE

Action so far:

13/05/14 - Completed the "Acknowledgement of Service" on moneyclaim.gov.uk stating that I intend to defend the claim in full.

Details of their claim against me:

Claimant: Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd.

Address for sending documents: BW Legal, Leeds.

Defendant: Paul Lonsdale (me!)

Particulars of Claim: The Claimant's Claim is for the sum of 435.82 being monies due from the Defendant to the Claimant under a non-regulated Communications agreement between the Defendant and Hutchison 3G UK Limited. Under account reference xxxxxx and assigned to the Claimant on 06/07/2012 notice of which has been given to the Defendant. The Defendant failed to maintain the contractual payment under the terms of the agreement and a default notice has been served and not complied with. The claim also includes statutory interest pursuant to section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8.00% per annum (a daily rate of 0.08 from the date of assignment of the agreement to the date of issue () being an amount of 53.36.

Signed: Alison Duckworth (Claimant's Solicitor)

My defence:

The full details of why I don't think I should have to pay this are detailed in my initial post in this thread. In a nutshell when I swapped from the initial contract to a smaller amount I was led to believe that I was just continuing my mobile broadband subscription but with a lesser monthly bandwidth limit. It appears as though 3 actually started a new agreement even though I was still using the original USB dongle for their service and that this claim has arisen from outstanding amounts from the original agreement. According to Experian I have a settled agreement with Hutchison with no money owed which was initiated at the time of the original contract and which terminated at the time I properly cancelled the second agreement.

Reading between the lines I think they must have charged me a fine because I cancelled my direct debit too early and missed the final payment of the original agreement prior to starting a new direct debit for the lesser amount of the second agreement. I dealt with this at the time though as I made a payment to BPO Collections after realising my mistake and them chasing me for it. In amongst all of this I moved house and so any paperwork they may have been sending me never got to me. Lowell must have caught up with me when the bought the debt and somehow found out where I lived through my Credit File.

My next Step:

Send a CPR request to Alison Duckworth @ BW Legal which I will do in the next day or so and post the details here.

Comment

I'm just writing the letter for the CPR request and the template has "Claimant's name, address, and postcode" on it. Should I actually be addresses it to Alison Duckworth (claimant's solicitor according to claim form) at BW Legal (address for sending documents and payments according to claim form) rather than the claimant Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd?

Comment

Please Help!!

I sent my CPR request to BW Legal on the 27th May (next day service signed for on arrival) and I confirmed it was delivered on the 28th May.

The original claim against me was issued on the 6th May so what is my deadline for filing my defence? According to the small print the "date of service" is 5 days after the issue date so that's the 11th May. Once I filed my AOS then I have 28 days from this date to file my defence so am I right in saying that's the 9th June right?

I wanted to get my defence in by the end of this week to be safe but I haven;t received a response to my CPR from BW Legal or Lowell.

What should I do now?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X