• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Munchkins_mum v Lowell/BW Legal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Munchkins_mum v Lowell/BW Legal

Hello, I've been a long time lurker, first time poster.

Any help that anyone with more legal knowledge would be most appreciated.

I have today received a county court claim form from Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd (address for documents as BW Legal)
    for an alleged overdraft with Lloyds.
    The total being claimed is £2,500 odd plus £105 court fees and £80 solicitor's costs.

The particulars of the claim read;

'claimant's claim is for the sum xxxx being monies due from the defendant to the claimant under a financial services agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974 between the defendant and Lloyds TSB Bank plc.
    Defendant failed to maintain the contractual payment under the terms f the agreement and a default notice has been served and not complied with. The claim includes statutory interest pursuant to section 69 of the county court's act 198 at a rate of 8% per annum (daily rate of 0.52 from the date of the assignment of the agreement to the date of issue being an amount of £158.60.

A Little background to my circumstances.

I am a single parent to 3 children, I separated from my husband in 2008 after an unhappy marriage. I was forced out of my home with my children (who were all aged 3 and under at the time).
    My ex-husband has contact with the children and in recent years we maintain civilised towards each other, however at first it was extremely acrimonious on his part. This led to me asking for nothing in our divorce, and I was left with much of our joint debt in my sole name, stupidly.
    The year before we split I had transferred debts in his name onto credit cards in my own name to take advantage of low interest rates.
    Our house was sold for negative equity (secured loans against the house totalling £25,000 were not cleared as our house was only sold for around £140,000 5 years ago (frustratingly the same houses now sell for £200,00!)

To cut a long story short, I have not been working over the last few years due to the children not being in full time education, instead I have been studying towards a career in accountancy. I am now working part time, however the £600 a month I currently earn is not the majority of my income-I receive housing and tax credits help, and I receive nothing in maintenance from my ex-neither do I want to add to my stress by taking him to CSA.

I have other various debts all acquired around or before 2009, totalling around £35,000 - realistically I know that bankruptcy is my best option, however it would throw my career path back a fair way so I would like to avoid it. I applied for assistance towards the bankruptcy costs several years ago, as I could not actually afford the £500 odd to declare bankruptcy ironically, however now that I am starting to work in finance I really don't want to jeopardise my future career prospects due to my past.

I have been burying my head in the sand over these debts for a long time, as I don't have assets (I have a car which I need for work, but it is over 10 years old and of little value, and what I have to live on is what the council has deemed as the amount required amount to live from with 3 children, therefore I don't want to start making payments to various debtors for years upon years.

I'm sorry for waffling but it is a complicated situation-and this alleged overdraft in particular.

I did take out an overdraft with Lloyds bank but do not have any paperwork relating to it as I have moved unexpectedly and lost all paperwork, so I have no idea if the amount quoted is a fair figure. I do know that before I stopped using the account I had a lot of money in fees and the bank refused me any kind of help but instead kept piling on the charges despite knowing I was a single parent living solely on benefits at the time, therefore I do feel that the actual overdraft figure was most likely way under this mark.

To add confusion to matters, in hindsight my Lloyds overdraft when taken out was a ticking time bomb.
    At the time I took it out I was only 18 or 19, and worked for Lloyds Bank. I started there when I was 17 and was initially forced to take out a Lloyds bank account to have my wages paid into as they refused to pay them into another account.
    I was then strongly encouraged to take out a credit card and overdraft, and I know that affordability calculations and such were overlooked, I was reeled in by offers of highly preferential employee rates of interest - which too my own detriment, as soon as I had children and left employment of the bank these soared to a completely unaffordable amount, yet whenever I spoke to branch staff they were unwilling to provide any help apart from once or twice single charge waivers.

In this sense I feel I was completely mis-sold the overdraft and to be honest am quite angry at myself for allowing myself to be reeled in, but I don't know if the fact I was cajouled into taking out the overdraft and credit card has any bearing on my situation now with regards to the county court claim. I know that moving on 10 years I am a lot more weary in what I take out, but unfortunately my past is still haunting me and I don't know my best course of action. Should I defend this case? Should I just agree some kind of nominal payment for the next 50 years?! I can't see any way out of the situation I am in, let alone the chance of ever getting to a future where I can start to look at building savings/a pension and such.

I thank you all in advance for the advice you have.

Kind Regards

Munchkins_mum

Re: Munchkins_mum v Lowell/BW Legal

Hi Munchkins mum and welcome to posting on the forum

You sound like you are managing brilliantly.

I would though recommend using the CSA for maintenance. I also went for years without receiving any maintenance payments after a quick cakky breakup, because I didn't want to inflame anything, but things were so hard so I spoke to the CSA who sent my ex a letter and miraculously he just started paying me each month by standing order. The CSA aren't involved at all I think it just nudged him into doing something. With 3 little ones it would surely help you out massively.

Do you want to do a list of your debts and how much they are? As they were probably taken out after 2007 and are coming up to the point where creditors start trying to call them in before the fall statute barred (6 years) it's likely this won't be the only claim you get, and on such a low income, and presumably you are in a rental property now?, you should be able to set up a sensible DMP (only with someone like StepChange so that it costs you nothing). It is entirely up to you how you'd rather deal with things but if you do a little list of the creditors, types (credit card/loan/overdraft etc) and approx amounts we should get a better idea what's likely to happen over the next couple of years.

So, with THIS debt, it is an overdraft, and you know about it and that it is owed, you have some dispute over the amount that it is and feel there was a large amount of unfair charges added to the account when you were in financial hardship, and the bank refused to help you.

So your first step is the acknowledge the claim - details on doing this are in the claim pack, and you should just enter 'intend to defend in full', which basically just gives you more time to get sorted. I would also send a CCA 31.14 letter to request information to ensure Lowell do have the rights to claim the debt ( http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ic-information )

'''The claimant's claim is for the sum xxxx being monies due from the defendant to the claimant under a financial services agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974 between the defendant and Lloyds TSB Bank plc. Defendant failed to maintain the contractual payment under the terms f the agreement and a default notice has been served and not complied with. The claim includes statutory interest pursuant to section 69 of the county court's act 198 at a rate of 8% per annum (daily rate of 0.52 from the date of the assignment of the agreement to the date of issue being an amount of £158.60.''

So in the CPR letter you'll want to ask for the agreement and the default notice. You could also add in a bit asking them to provide you with details of how the debt amount is made up.

I would also send a Subject Access Request to Lloyds to cover everything you had with them. You will need to include a £10 with this letter and they have 40 days to oblige but it will come in useful later on, and should give you a list of transactions as to how this debt is made up as well.

http://ico.org.uk/for_the_public/personal_information is a basic letter - I'd change from ' if you require a fee' to I have enclosed the £10 maximum statutory fee, because they always want it and it just holds things up if you don't send it. Remember to include old and new addresses so they can find the information.

Okay that's probably enough to begin with, didn't want to overload you xx

Sharon
    xx
    x
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

On with the overload a little bit, sorry, there are bits we can put in your defence/partial admission about the treatment you had with the overdraft charges at a time of financial hardship etc - if you have ANY evidence of telling them you were in difficulties etc from the time that would be great, if not some screen notes etc should come back from the subject access request.

Also you haven't mentioned the date of issue of the claim ? Once acknowledged you have 33 days from the date of issue to get sorted
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank you so much for your help, I am currently drafting the SAR to LLoyds - I have included asking for details relating to my employment, as I have no specific dates etc as I have lost most of my old paperwork-is this ok or should I take it out before I send?

Just to clarify, my points of action to start are;

-acknowledge claim and state defending online
        -send CCA 31.14 letter asking for Lowell's paperwork re claim
        -Send SAR to Lloyds re everything they hold about me?

I'm a little confused as to the CPR letter-is that sent with the CCA request to Lowell?

Sorry for seeming dense, I'm just really worried I won't do something right!

As for the hardship issues, I don't think I have anything as it was all done over phone or speaking to branch - they should be in my account notes really though.. The last time I spoke to them they appropriated my housing benefit and used it to pay my credit card and refused to refund it although I stated it technically was not 'my' money to do appropriate as such. They did refund eventually as I wrote to my local MP who took the case up directly with one of the heads at Lloyds at the time - after that I stopped using the account!

I hope I've covered everything eek!
        And thank you again for your kindness

Munchkins Mum

Comment

Originally posted by munchkins_mum View Post
          Thank you so much for your help, I am currently drafting the SAR to LLoyds - I have included asking for details relating to my employment, as I have no specific dates etc as I have lost most of my old paperwork-is this ok or should I take it out before I send?

Just to clarify, my points of action to start are;

-acknowledge claim and state defending online
          That's right. :thumb:
          -send CCA 31.14 letter asking for Lowell's paperwork re claim
          -Send SAR to Lloyds re everything they hold about me?

I'm a little confused as to the CPR letter-is that sent with the CCA request to Lowell?

Sorry for seeming dense, I'm just really worried I won't do something right!
          For an overdraft, you wouldn't send a CCA request, since it wouldn't apply, just a CPR 31.14 letter, which should be sent to BW Legal at the address for correspondence and documents written on your claim form. The wording of the CPR letter is slightly different for an O/D, I posted one here this morning: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...671#post431671

Comment

Ok, so today has been productive, I had a 3 hour exam this morning and then went to post my SAR to Lloyds with the £10 postal order, and a CPR 31.14 to BW Legal, and have acknowledged the claim online.
            I guess it's now a bit of a waiting game to see what response I get!
            Thank you both for your templates and help, I'd be lost without this forum's guidance!
            Munchkins_mun

Comment

Ok, so today has been productive, I had a 3 hour exam this morning and then went to post my SAR to Lloyds with the £10 postal order, and a CPR 31.14 to BW Legal, and have acknowledged the claim online.
              I guess it's now a bit of a waiting game to see what response I get!
              Thank you both for your templates and help, I'd be lost without this forum's guidance!
              Munchkins_mun
              Just keep an eye on the timescales, :clock: they should reply to the CPR request in 7 days, after that you'll have to chase them and get them to agree to an extension if they don't supply the documents. :thumb:

Comment

Good morning everyone

Well it's been 7 days (yesterday) and I haven't heard a peep from BW Legal..
                So I now send a reminder asking for a time extension too is that right? Ill be surprised if I get much back from them to be honest, I don't think they actually have any of the paperwork.
                I haven't had a response from Lloyds re the SAR request either, will that actually bring any response?
                Kind regards
                munchkins mum

Comment

What was the date on the claim form ? Have you filed Acknowledgement of Service ?

M1

Comment

Hi there, the date on the claim form it says issued 6/5. I still haven't heard anything from BW Legal or Lowells, or Lloyds, starting to get a little worried now!

I went online and clicked that I intend to defend in full this claim-is that all I needed to do to acknowledge service?

I'm slightly confused as to my next step - do I write to them again asking, or do I complete the N244 form to the court - or both?!

Many thanks

Munchkins Mum

Comment

Hi there, the date on the claim form it says issued 6/5. I still haven't heard anything from BW Legal or Lowells, or Lloyds, starting to get a little worried now!

I went online and clicked that I intend to defend in full this claim-is that all I needed to do to acknowledge service?

Many thanks

Munchkins Mum

:okay:

Time to pick up the phone and ask them when they'll comply. Also ask for the extension as per cpr 15.5.

Every call (you should be on the phone every couple of days) to be followed up by an email from you to them with an overview of the call. Comes in handy for evidence later on.

M1

Comment

Well it's been 7 days (yesterday) and I haven't heard a peep from BW Legal..
                        So I now send a reminder asking for a time extension too is that right?
                        Ill be surprised if I get much back from them to be honest, I don't think they actually have any of the paperwork.
                        I'd say so, you can just email and/or ring them to speed things up. Keep a log of every attempt you make to contact them in case you go on to apply for an unless order.

I haven't had a response from Lloyds re the SAR request either, will that actually bring any response?
                        They have 40 days to comply with a SAR.

You have till the end of the month. As above, you need to chase BW Legal for the documents and request their agreement to an extension.

Yes, that should be it. :typing:
                        Last edited by FlamingParrot; 19th May 2014, 16:56:PM.

Comment

I have spoken to them and they have told me that action is to be placed on hold until I have received the paperwork from CPR request as they have forwarded my request to Lowell for them to look into and find the documents, but they did not give me a specific time extension.

they have promised to send me a letter confirming this and they have said they will inform Northampton court it is on hold also.
                          I don't trust them so I have emailed as per your suggestion confirming what was said and that I will ring Northampton court later this week to ensure they have rec'd their advice..
                          So do I just wait for the written confirmation or is this a delaying tactic and should I be applying to the court for the N244?!

Sorry for the rant, I'm really worried im going to forget to do something or do it wrong and end up with a default judgement!

Munchkins mum

Comment

I have spoken to them and they have told me that action is to be placed on hold until I have received the paperwork from CPR request as they have forwarded my request to Lowell for them to look into and find the documents, but they did not give me a specific time extension.

they have promised to send me a letter confirming this and they have said they will inform Northampton court it is on hold also.
                            The extension has to be for a specific time, it can't be indefinite. The maximum under the CPR is 28 days. You should make sure YOU inform the court, it's up to the defendant to do so.
                            I don't trust them so I have emailed as per your suggestion confirming what was said and that I will ring Northampton court later this week to ensure they have rec'd their advice..
                            No, you shouldn't trust them! :liar: See above.
                            So do I just wait for the written confirmation or is this a delaying tactic and should I be applying to the court for the N244?!
                            They could easily put that on an email. :typing:

Sorry for the rant, I'm really worried im going to forget to do something or do it wrong and end up with a default judgement!
                            No worries, that's what we're here for, to avoid that situation. :thumb:

Comment

is this a delaying tactic and should I be applying to the court for the N244?!

M1

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X