• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell and O2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell and O2

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any help given.

I had a mobile phone with O2 which has been given to Lowell and they have been chasing me for 1076.28. there are a few bits of information they have wrong and cant seem to justify why it is incorrect such as my name, and Date of Birth. I have received the following letter from them. the last payment on this account was made in march 2009 and no acknowledgement or payment made since. If any one has any idea as to how to reply to this letter please let me know?

Dear Mr XXXXX

your account remains unpaid
    We have tried on a number of occasions to help you to resolve this debt by offering affordable repayment solutions which you appear to have ignores. We informed you in our previous correspondence we would obtain information from the credit reference agency about you, which we have now done. We will be shortly assessing this and sending your account to either: an agent who will arrange a time to visit you to discuss payment face to face, or proceed with court action.

your last chance to pay before this account is escalated
    if you want to avoid what is described above then this is your last chance. if we do not receive payment in full, or, if you have not set up a repayment plan on this account within 21 days from the date of this letter we will commence with action against you.

we are willing to be flexible with repayments. for example we would accept a payment of 15 per month which is approximately 0.50 a day. alternatively complete the direct debit mandate with an amount you can afford, or call is to discuss alternative plans.

we want to help you
    Please call us today and speak with one of our experienced agents who will help you resolve the situation amicably and avoid the need to take the action referred to above.

yours sincerely

please help

I'm struggling with how to reply?

thanks
    vircoa

The brain is the only thing on earth to have named its self

Re: Lowell and O2

It's difficult to help you without knowing a bit more about the situation.

Is there a valid dispute regarding your O2 account? Why did you stop paying O2 in 2009.

Once we know your circumstances someone should be able to come up with something.

One thing, you don't have to let anyone in should someone from Lowells turn up (unlikely but not impossible).

Comment

hi, and thanks for the reply,

I ended up in some difficulty and they kept hounding me. there was never any dispute raised as I had what felt like countless companies chasing me for the same account so didn't know where to aim my dispute or too make payments so I gave up and buried my head. I now only have 2 that are chasing me this and another which is governed under the Consumer Credit Act so that is a lot easier to follow and to argue. I don't know how they got to the figure they have or how this has landed with lowell. but I'm not sure what rights I have or what legal resources to utilize, I know about the OFT and their guidelines but I cant seem to use these to my advantage with out being able to angle my dispute efectivly

any advise greatly appreciated

Comment

please help guys I'm struggling

Comment

Well, I don't think that you have a valid reason not to pay, sorry.

Try to negotiate an affordable repayment plan.

If you don't pay it is going to be a bit of a gamble. They may take you to the county court or they might not. What else can I say?

Comment

Also, Lowells are well known for issuing statutory demands. For a smallish amount like that, is it really worth going bankrupt?

Comment

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...075#post391075

Adapt to suit.

M1

Comment

in all honesty Mr $quandaŁot I haven't fount your comments overly helpful, I ant trying to find out what sort of legal bodies govern mobile phone debts reason being I have a valid dispute as this account has so many discrepancies with regards to the information they hold about me. I may not have mentioned that I cant see how a mobile debt can reach over 1000 if you could please help me out with which legislation's or acts that are there governing this?

Comment

M1 as always a star!!!!!! thanks loads but with this, it doesn't state that they are going to take legal action but to assign the dent to a 3rd party would this letter still be appropriate?

Comment

"proceed with court action."

I'd say it's fine. It's probably not strictly a letter before action but it mentions court proceedings so why not. Put pressure on them and they may take a back seat without any info.

Under 1 year to statute barred by the look of it and given there has been a spate of them lately they might leave you for easier prey.

M1

Comment

perfect its on its way to them tomorrow :-) thanks again hopefuly they pipe down after that:-)

Comment

Vircoa, I asked you about any disputes but you didn't tell me.As far as I'm aware Ofcom regulates mobile phone companies.

DCAs are not to be feared. Your neighbours' cat has more powers than they do.

If you have discrepancies then you should be able to use them in your defence should there be any court action.

Comment

Thanks for the PM Vircoa.

It's usually best to try and keep discussion on the open forum, rather than hidden in private messages, so I'll reply here if that's ok?

It really is difficult to advise you on how to "dispute" the debt if you don't have a valid dispute...it may however be possible to challenge any charges/fee's which have been added as part of the collection process, and of course we can help with negotiating repayments if you are in a position to enter into a payment plan. Or even perhaps seek a reduced settlement figure.

The other aspect to possibly look at is whether there were any material changes to your contract with O2 around the time you defaulted, which may have allowed you to cancel the contract?

Other than that, if you wish to dispute the validity of the debt, we really would need further information as to why you feel the debt isn't valid, so that we can help you to approach it correctly.

EDIT: Seems I'm massively behind with this thread! Sorry, got totally sidetracked whilst typing. :tinysmile_aha_t: Will catch up and amend the above as necessary. Ok, having caught up, the above still applies however it's worth making a start with the letter suggested by M1. If you do have valid reasons to dispute the debt, of course it's worth challenging it!
                          I am a Paralegal Consultant.

This means I am not a Solicitor/Barrister/Advocate. I work in Legal Services, however I cannot offer services which are defined as "Reserved Legal Activities" under the Legal Services Act 2007.

Anything posted here should be taken as opinion or general information, not legal advice. It is not possible for me to offer legal advice based on the limited details which can be posted on an open forum. Where possible, I will offer guidance and relevant information, but neither myself nor my practice can be held liable for events resulting from actions taken based on information or opinion shared here.

Comment

thanks all for the response's,

here is the basis of my reasons to dispute the validity of the debt.

1: the name they have is incorrect as it is set out on my middle name not my first name and with no initials
                            2: the DOB they have is incorrect out by 1 month
                            3: after asking for proof of their ownership of the debt all i have had is that a very rough statement of account but no proof of ownership.
                            4: also they have never provided a breakdown as to how the balance reached over 1000

how would I go about requesting this information from them in a way that they legally have to provide it?

thanks again

Comment

I'm sorry but those points sound academic to me. Middle initials don't really count unless your name is Smith or Brown and, even then, you would need to prove that you'd given them but, in all honesty, I doubt it makes much difference.

2 & 3 - please ask the forum owners as I don't have a clue!

4. I would request this.

If you're trying to find excuses not to pay it may be difficult as, in my opinion, you don't appear to have any valid dispute!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X