• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

More than four million people scammed each year - #scamaware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More than four million people scammed each year - #scamaware

CAB and Trading Standards warns about the fraudsters preying on hard-up households through Scams Awareness Month

Fraudsters are “picking the pockets” of up to four million people each year, finds new research from Citizens Advice.

Citizens Advice Bureau warns that as people struggle to make ends meet they are being sized up by devious con artists. problems with scams each year.

Fraud offences in England and Wales rose by 25% in 2013, compared to the previous year, with 207,252 cases reported to Action Fraud. But nationally Citizens Advice has calculated up to four million people could be scammed each year as many scams go unreported.

Scams Awareness Month launches today, Thursday 1 May Citizens Advice Bureau is urging people to “fight back against the fraudsters”.

People are just as likely to be conned over the phone and via text messages as they are through emails and websites. New analysis reveals:

• Over a third of scams (34%) were over the phone.
    • Almost a quarter of scams (24%) were through visits to a web site.
    • 16% were letter or fax scams.
    • One in ten scams (10%) were through emails.

Citizens Advice Bureaux is warning that people should watch out for non-secure websites that ask for financial details. It’s important that people realise scammers are also at the end of the phone and on your doorstep.

Counterfeit cashier cheques, fraudulent lenders offering loans to get hold of personal details, dating scams, ticket cons and computer hacking were amongst commonly reported scams. Online shopping and auction fraud was the biggest single fraud type with almost 40,000 recorded cases.

“Scams come in all shapes and sizes and can leave people hundreds or thousands of pounds worse off. Fake flats, phoney offers of work or training and bogus websites are ripping people off.

“Throughout May we will be helping people in the Uk spot and report scams. We are advising people to speak to family and friends to make sure they are aware of some of the warning signs of a scam to stop them being duped. Remember, if something appears too good to be true, it probably is.”

Citizens Advice Chief Executive, Gillian Guy, said:

“Scammers are picking the pockets of millions of innocent people. Pensioners and hard-up households face invasion through their computers, phones, letterboxes, and on the doorstep.

“People who are already struggling to put food on the table, let alone save money day-to-day, are being fleeced of their hard-earned cash. It is disgraceful that scammers are often targeting elderly people with sophisticated scams such as posing as their bank or phone company. We are running Scams Awareness Month to encourage people to fight back against the fraudsters pushing their cons into the nation’s homes by reporting those scams.”

Top tips for dealing with scams

1. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
    2. Never give out your bank details or send money unless you are certain you can trust the person contacting you.
    3. Contacted out of the blue? Be suspicious.
    4. Your bank and the police will never collect your bank card, ask for your PIN or come to your home.
    5. Make sure the website’s secure, if you are buying online – check for the padlock or “https” next to the web address
    6. It you haven’t bought a ticket you can’t win it.
    7. You shouldn’t have to pay anything to get a prize.
    8. Pressure to make a decision straight away? Take your time and just say: “No thank you”.
    9. Walk away from job ads that ask for money in advance.
    10. Computer firms do not make unsolicited phone calls to help you fix your computer.
    11. Don’t suffer in silence – tell others about scams.

What to do if you have been scammed

• Report it to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 to help stop it happening to others.
    • Often you can't get your money back if you've been scammed, especially if you've handed over cash.
    • If you've paid for goods or services by credit card you have more protection and if you used a debit card you may be able to ask your bank for a chargeback.
    • Get advice and report scams to Trading Standards through the Citizens Advice consumer service on 08454 04 05 06 (for advice in Welsh phone 08454 04 05 05) or online advice at www.adviceguide.org.uk

Scams to watch out for

• Online shopping and auction scams – internet shoppers get lured into buying phantom cars, mobile phones, pets or anything else you can buy online. Scammers use a range of tricks including bogus websites, spoofed payment services and a nasty new variation called “second chance offers” tempting losing bidders with bogus opportunities. Online property market places are also infiltrated by scammers harvesting legitimate property details and posing as landlords.

• Lender loan fraud – some scammers pose as payday lenders or credit brokers and after they have obtained someone’s details they pass these on, or take out sums without the person’s knowledge or consent.

• Online dating scams – con artists groom victims into long-distance relationships using emails, instant messaging, texting and phone calls. Once they are confident of the victim’s trust, scammers will tell them about a problem they are experiencing and ask for financial help.

• Software scams – fraudsters often use the names of well-known companies to commit their crime as it gives a mask of legitimacy to their cruel schemes. Methods include asking for credit card details to “validate” copies of operating systems, stealing personal information, and installing malware before charging to remove it.

• Courier scams (a form of vishing) – where people receive unsolicited telephone calls from scammers posing as police or their bank warning of a fraudulent payment on their card or that their card is due to expire. The fraudster will then attend the person’s address or send an innocent courier company driver to collect the card and sometimes provide them with a “replacement” fake card.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

Re: More than four million people scammed each year - #scamaware

Scams operate by post, online, telephone or face to face. Spot scams and stop scams by taking the following simple steps.
    CHECK
    unexpected calls, letters, and online contacts with someone you trust.
    GET ADVICE
    the Citizens Advice consumer service 08454 04 05 06. can provide advice and pass details on to Trading Standards.
    scams or suspected scams to Action Fraud 0300 123 2040 www.actionfraud.police.uk.
    TELL
    a friend, neighbour or relative about any scams you become aware of.
    #ScamAware
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Received this yesterday

I Hope you get this on time, I made a trip to (Turkey) and had my bag stolen from me with my passport and personal effects therein. The embassy has just issued me a temporary passport but I have to pay for a ticket and settle my hotel bills with the Manager.

I have made contact with my bank but it would take me 3-5 working days to access funds in my account, the bad news is my flight will be leaving very soon but I am having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let me leave until I settle the bills, I need your help/LOAN financially and I promise to make the refund once I get back home, you are my last resort and hope, Please let me know if I can count on you and I need you to keep checking your email because it's the only way I can reach you.

I'll really appreciate your prompt response.

Thanks,

Patrick

I sent them my card details obviouly

Comment

Did they give you account details at all?

If you haven't yet deleted it please forward it to me
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

No it still in my deleted folder, which address ?

Comment

julian.siddle@legalbeagles.info
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

OK i

Comment

Originally posted by andy58 View Post
                Received this yesterday

I Hope you get this on time, I made a trip to (Turkey) and had my bag stolen from me with my passport and personal effects therein. The embassy has just issued me a temporary passport but I have to pay for a ticket and settle my hotel bills with the Manager.

I have made contact with my bank but it would take me 3-5 working days to access funds in my account, the bad news is my flight will be leaving very soon but I am having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let me leave until I settle the bills, I need your help/LOAN financially and I promise to make the refund once I get back home, you are my last resort and hope, Please let me know if I can count on you and I need you to keep checking your email because it's the only way I can reach you.

I'll really appreciate your prompt response.

Thanks,

Patrick

I sent them my card details obviouly
                I have had (probably) a dozen of these in the past year from accounts that have clearly been hijacked.

Comment

Had an phishing e mail from Mr Taxman today did not click on it and sent it to my provider scam line
                  Last edited by dogtired; 7th May 2014, 18:30:PM.
                  Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

What about these scam emails offering you millions of dollars, etc.. you know the ones right? I've saved one ages ago, as its seems to make me laugh.
                    Let peoples see what to be aware of.

"Compliment

How are you doing. Hope you have not forgotten me, I am Dr. Mike Larry, the man from Nigeria who contacted you some time ago to assist me secure the release of some money accrued from the over invoicing of a contract/inheritance that was awarded by my government sometime ago during the military regime.

Though you were not able to assist me conclude the transaction, I'm happy to inform you about my success in getting those funds transfered Under the assistance and cooperation of a new partner from Brazil.Presently I'm in South Korea for investment projects with my own share of the total sum. meanwhile, i didn't forget your past efforts and attempts to assist me in transferring those funds, I made sure you are not left out the benefit of the transaction hence I kept aside for you sum of Six Million and Three Hundred Thousand United State Dollar($6.3 Million Dollars)draft.I and my new partner agreed to compensate you with that amount for all your past efforts and attempts to assist me in this matter.

I appreciated your efforts at that time very much,so feel free and getting touch with my secretary Mr.David Martins and instruct him on how to send the Bank draft to you. Please do let me know immediately you receive the Draft so that we can
                    share the joy together after all the sufferances at that time. In the moment, I'm very busy here because of the investment projects which me and my partner are having at hand, finally,remember that i had left instruction to my secretary so as soon as you contact him, he will send the Draft to you,so feel free to get in touch with MY SECRETARY NOW.

Below is the contact of my secretary:

Mr.David Martins:"
                    Last edited by tasman; 10th May 2014, 11:47:AM.

Comment

this one I found on my Facebook

"Hello.Peace be unto you
                      I Ms. Marian Ann. I am suffering from long time cancer of the lungs which also affected my brain, from all indication my conditions is really deteriorating and it is quite obvious that, according to my doctors they have advised me I could live for the next two months, I want to donate [$10.5 million} for you,so you can help the less privilege. please contact me with my private email address for more information
                      (picarelli357@gmail.com) waiting to read from you soon
                      Remain bless,Mother Anna Maria picarelli. "

Comment

Thanks for posting those up

It is important that before you delete these you also use your email providers report function, if you have the facility to "Report as phishing" or similar then please do so before you delete. It helps email providers screen the text and prevent similar being sent out.

We are all responsible for fraud, if we do all we can to report it the more likelihood we have of reducing it. It will never stop but if we can prevent one email going to one vulnerable person, it is one less victim.
                        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

I've had dozens of these and my parents too. I'm sure that's how my laptop got an Remote Access Trojan. I saw one with a link showing with just a dot difference in the address bar link can be hard to spot

Great Thread

Comment

Just had another, this time from an outfit called "Gem Legal Training" now they do exist and the e mail looked genuine but contained a zip file.
                            Something about training for money laundering regulations.!
                            Have sent to providers "abuse" line.
                            The site itself seems to cater for legal professionals, and I certainly not one of them!
                            Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X