• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PayPal Money Laundering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PayPal Money Laundering

Hi All,

I sold some Bitcoins on PayPal. I received the money and transferred over the BitCoins.

A few hours later PayPal reversed the charge because (they state) the transaction wasn't authorised by the account holder. The BitCoins were irretrievable. I was the victim of a fraud similar to this one

http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...coin-scam-ebay

I reported it to the police and obtained a crime reference number.

After much hassle from PayPal eventually I told them to take any money legally owed to them from my credit card because they were threatening to defame my credit rating.

I've appealed to the Luxembourgian regulator (who didn't reply). I'm now suing them in small claims court on the following grounds: -

Under their contract "the seller is responsible for all... chargebacks on the account"

1) The chargeback constitutes transfer of the proceeds of a crime under section 327 Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 and so the contract is void / must be construed to exclude illegal chargebacks.
    2) There is an implied term in the contract not to use the charge-back mechanism capriciously, which, given the apparently endemic number of victims of this type of fraud, they do not appear to be doing.
    3) I suffered harassment including two phone calls to my place of work, two other phone calls, tens of emails, a debt collection agency letter threatening a home visit, and threats to my credit rating, all during the period my case was under review from their chief executive's offices. The greater large part of my claim relates to damages in relation to this as per Ferguson versus British Gas.
    4) They've written a defense pointing out I had sued PayPal SARL, not PayPal (Europe) SARL et Cie, SCA.

For each of the above I would be very grateful for an independent assessment of my legal position before I proceed any further.

Thanks,

Shaya

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X