• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ex husband incorrectly added to mortgage by bank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex husband incorrectly added to mortgage by bank

Hi

I received my annual mortgage statement today for a property I have owned in my own name since 1997, problem being it was addressed to myself & my ex husband whom I separated from in 1996! I telephoned the bank & they stated that they now have my ex husband named on the account & have out previous marital home (where he still resides) as his correspondence address. They are also unable to tell me if a copy of my mortgage details have been sent to him at this property. They believe the problem has occurred when Lloyds TSB split. I am waiting for a call back from the bank, but could really do with some advice. Thank you
    Tags: None

Re: Ex husband incorrectly added to mortgage by bank

Oh dear. Hopefully it is just an admin error but if it might help set your mind at rest you could check that you alone are the registered owner of your property by checking the deeds at the land registry - will cost £3 - http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/publi...erty-ownership

If they have sent your private financial information to your ex husband without your permission then that could well be a breach of the data protection act and should be reported to the ICO.

Is your exhusbands property mortgaged with the same bank - and is that in both your names still ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks Amethyst. Both myself & my ex husband were on the mortgage for the property he still resides in, but I legally signed the property over to him during the divorce & my name was removed. I bought the property I'm in now myself. I've never had any problems until now, as all documents are in my sole name until I received my annual statement today. I still have original paperwork so can legally prove property is in my sole name, but this has got me worried. They promised to call me back before 21:00

Comment

Originally posted by Robinson955 View Post
        Thanks Amethyst. Both myself & my ex husband were on the mortgage for the property he still resides in, but I legally signed the property over to him during the divorce & my name was removed. I bought the property I'm in now myself. I've never had any problems until now, as all documents are in my sole name until I received my annual statement today. I still have original paperwork so can legally prove property is in my sole name, but this has got me worried. They promised to call me back before 21:00
        Well hopefully it is just an admin glitch, if this is the first time he's been named on your statement since 1997 then it is likelyas this'll be the first annual statement since the split of Lloyds and TSB so sounds reasonable (if rather shoddy) - let us know what they say when (IF) they call you back.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

I will & thank you for responding

Comment

Lloyds did not return my call as promised yesterday & I'm now quite distressed about the situation. Just telephoned & spoke to different advisor who has taken all my detail, viewed my mortgage documents and stated that she can only see my name so does not know what has happened. I gave her the staff number of the gentleman I spoke to you yesterday & asked her to retrieve the voice recording of my call to confirm my initial complaint. I also stated that I now wish to make an official complaint & mentioned that I believe a breach of data protection may have occured. She informed me that a full investigation will now take place to determine what has happened & why, so that they can rectify it. She also provided me with her full details & promised to call me at 18:00 tomorrow to provide an update & take full details for complaint. Does anyone have any advice to help me with completing the complaint form tomorrow please? Thank you in advance

Comment

Write down the following : what it is that you are complaining about
              what responses you have had
              what the bank needs to do
              Put it all in writing and record all future telephone conversations .

Comment

Thank you to Amethyst & Seduraed for help & advice. Finally feel like I'm making some headway with the bank. I've lodged a formal complaint & have all contact details/reference numbers & have been assured of receiving a response from their complaints team within the next 5 working days. They have confirmed that mortgage application is in my sole name. They have also checked land registry & confirmed deeds are in my sole name. They are conducting a thorough investigation as to why my ex husband has been added to my mortgage but believe it may be an internal IT error. They have also placed a marker on my account preventing my ex husband from obtaining any information or attempting to change anything and have stated because they have the evidence to support my complaint by way of house deeds & mortgage application etc, they are confident this can be rectified. Thank you again for advice

Comment

Have they told you if anything has been sent to your exhusband's address regarding the mortgage?

I would also check your credit file that their hasn't been a link made between you on the account there - any new financial associations etc which could damage your rating. If there is you should add that to your complaint and ask the bank to recify it asap.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

In my complaint I have requested written assurance that this property is in my sole name & also written assurance that there has been no breach of data protection as the gentlemen I spoke to on Tuesday States that my ex husbands address was now on my account as a correspondence address. The lady I spoke to last night and again today when she returned my call at the exact time she promised does not believe this is the case, but could not say for definite. Excellent advice regarding credit reference check, as I would not have given that a thought. I will make a note of that & request this be checked during my next contact with them. Thank you

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X