• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Partner killed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partner killed

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!! my partner was killed in a motorcycle accident on Sat 12th April, he was 45. We had been together since 1991. We got married in 2000 but never lived together, (long story). I am going to be living in his house now with his son, but when Ive been going through some of his bills etc, ive noticed that he was claiming a single person discount on his council tax bill. I know that this is ok because he was living here alone, but as far as I know, the council are not aware that he was married. I want to go to the council to tell them what has happened and that I intend to carry on paying the council tax as before, but are they likely to question that they were not aware that he was married? and does it really matter if he was married, if we were not living together? I know that they will want to see proof of his death and I have received an interim certificate today, but it mentions my name on it and that he was my husband, so thats why I was worried about whether the council will question that. Or are they just concerned about getting the council tax money each month.

Any help or advice would be most helpful, this is hard enough to deal with as it is. The council tax has been paid for this month. Also I am not on the electoral role at my husbands address, I am at my parents address.

Thankyou
    Tags: None

Re: Partner killed

I'm so sorry to hear of your terrible loss.

Single person discount is based on single occupancy of the dwelling and marital status has nothing to do with it. If you paid council tax where you lived and were on electoral roll and paid bills etc there you shouldnt have anything to worry over. Yes they may ask some questions but if you have done nothing wrong you should have nothing to fear, and really you have bigger things to be dealing with xxxx

Did your husband own his property and is It passing over to you?
    How old is his son?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X