• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

unable to attend set aside hearing due to bereavment ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unable to attend set aside hearing due to bereavment ?

request for set aside submitted when MCOL judgment following failure to reply but could not get onto website, messy for other reasons also. paid £80 for set aside and was given hearing date, parent died so notified court by email and had to go to aus for funeral and unable to attend, recd letter Judge has dismissed my set aside request as i did not attend.

I wnat to contest this but need to know correct form, procedure, is it Part 27 CPR or use county court complaint form? also how much time do i have to do this, i was out of country for 3 wks.
    Tags: None

Re: unable to attend set aside hearing due to bereavment ?

I have made a complaint on a form from hmcs, hopefully this is the way to address this, no response to date.

any other comments?

Comment

The court itself will advise with regards to procedure (as to what form to use, and any time limits). You are right to complain - they were notified, and the circumstances were such that the hearing should have been rescheduled.

Comment

Ok firstly if you cannot attend an application to vacate the hearing should be made. If you can speak with the opponent and explain your difficulties they may welll consent to the adjournment.

If they consent you will need a signed consent order and then you annex it to your application and the hearing may be vacated.

If you do nothing the Court will proceed in your absence and will most likely reject your application

that will effectively be the end of your case.
        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Judges are used to applications not letters or emails. I had a similart thing a year or two back and had to make an urgent application to Vacate the Hearing and get another date. Also had to notify the other side of what happened and they objected saying the original Hearing had to go ahead, think they were rather peeved that I knew how I had to ask to Vacate. This was all brought up at the later Hearing and the other side were admonished because of the circumstances surrounding the application.

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
            Judges are used to applications not letters or emails. I had a similart thing a year or two back and had to make an urgent application to Vacate the Hearing and get another date. Also had to notify the other side of what happened and they objected saying the original Hearing had to go ahead, think they were rather peeved that I knew how I had to ask to Vacate. This was all brought up at the later Hearing and the other side were admonished because of the circumstances surrounding the application.
            Indeed it has to be an application as without it the Judge can and most likely will go ahead

The application has to be made as soon as possible, if its not timely then the judge can refuse to adjourn also, plus you need a goood reason why you arent available otherwise since Mitchell -v- NGN Judges are tightening up
            I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

many thanks for your replies -

however, I emailed as time was so limited, and it was last thing on my mind, I then had to leave the country, when I returend the hearing had gone ahead and the decsion made by the Judge. So it is retrospective.

Do I appeal the decision.

thanks

Comment

im not sure you can appeal, to be honest given the failure to apply, and given Andrew Mitchell MP v NewGroup Newspapers, i think an appeal would face difficulties.

Comment

thank you for your replies

Comment

Originally posted by amelia33 View Post
                    thank you for your replies
                    Im sorry i cant be more helpful, sadly sometimes when we are on the wrong end of a decision it is easy to feel aggrieved but you have to stop and look at the situation objectively and see where stand.

I think taking an objective view of the case, there are real difficulties here and difficulties which will be difficult to overcome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X