• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Windows XP support ends today - Your options by getsafeonline.org

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP support ends today - Your options by getsafeonline.org

Windows XP support ends today

April 8th 2014
    If you are still running the Windows XP operating system, you will no longer be able to receive support from Microsoft - including critical security updates. Today marks the company's final 'Patch Tuesday' for the software, which includes a critical fix for a zero-day Microsoft Word vulnerability discovered last week.
    For information and advice on replacing Windows XP, click here.
    If you have one of the estimated one in five personal computers that still run XP - or are one of the three quarters of UK businesses that could still be using it - the software will not stop working, but will be far more vulnerable to online attacks. Cyber criminals make a habit of targeting software which offers the least resistance.
    Microsoft Product Manager Ian Moulster told the Telegraph: "You may think if you have a current anti-virus, anti-malware product, and that’s still supported, won’t I be safe? The answer is unfortunately not, because you need to have security all the way from the operating system up. It will certainly help if you’ve got current and good anti-malware products, but they can’t protect you against everything if the operating system itself has got some kind of flaw in it." He added "XP can be improved and changed over the years to try and cope with that, but it was never designed to do that from the ground-up, whereas something like Windows 8.1 is very much is designed to do that from the ground up."
    There are a number of options available to XP users. For those who wish to upgrade to the latest version, 8.1, Microsoft has issued a step-by-step migration guide:
    1. Confirm that the machine is running XP. If the home screen hasn’t been personalised you’ll see the familiar XP wallpaper when you boot up, but you can also confirm by clicking the Start button, click Run, type winver, and then press Enter.
    2. Choose a new PC. The easiest path to Windows 8.1 is with new hardware and there are offers and deals for consumers out there. Stay up to date on the latest offers on Windows PCs and tablets via the Windows Buying Guide and learn how to choose a new PC.
    3. Transfer your files. Microsoft's PCs hold memories full of photos, files and music and that you’ll want to access on a new device. There are several options for transferring files, either using cloud storage or using an external hard drive.
    4. Get to know Windows 8.1. Once the right PC has been chosen and files migrated, you’ll be ready to explore Windows 8.1. Follow Microsoft's video tutorials to understand how to get the most out of Windows 8.

Last week it was announced that the government had signed a deal with Microsoft to provide XP support and security updates across the whole UK public sector for a further 12 months.
    By Get Safe Online
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Tags: None

Re: Windows XP support ends today - Your options by getsafeonline.org

http://xubuntu.org/

My preferred option.

Comment

I agree but there is no support for games I simply cannot get play on linux to work .Otherwise excellent and the open source office suites are excellent .

Comment

This is all FUD by Microsoft. (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt). You want to move from XP? Then dip into your pocket for a new computer, 'cause your XP computer will almost certainly not run 8.1 Just 'cause take up their latest and greatest has not been as good as expected why contribute even more to the Microsoft coffers.

Consider that most of the security holes in XP have now been patched, you have reasonable antivirus and malware protection and you are sitting behind a firewall (probably 2) then as long as you remain sensible then there should be no problems. You are, off course, backing up all your important files? :tung:
        Last edited by ostell; 8th April 2014, 12:16:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
          This is all FUD by Microsoft. (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt). You want to move from XP? Then dip into your pocket for a new computer, 'cause your XP computer will almost certainly not run 8.1 Just 'cause take up their latest and greatest has not been as good as expected why contribute even more to the Microsoft coffers.

Consider that most of the security holes in XP have now been patched, you have reasonable antivirus and malware protection and you are sitting behind a firewall (probably 2) then as long as you remain sensible then there should be no problems. You are, off course, backing up all your important files? :tung:
          Agree ostell most laptops older that 10 yrs wont support Wndows 8 mine is about 12 yrs old and won't support it so for now I'll have to carry on got on line virus and firewall and Malware anti malware bytes.so will have to chance it for a little longer .no way can I afford new PC or laptop.

Sparkie

Comment

As suggested, Linux. If you still need XP for some programs, set up a dual-boot system and disable XP's internet and wireless access. As for Windows 8, the less said the better - I've tried it and wouldn't have it at any price.

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
              As suggested, Linux. If you still need XP for some programs, set up a dual-boot system and disable XP's internet and wireless access. As for Windows 8, the less said the better - I've tried it and wouldn't have it at any price.
              There is some software around called Classic Shell that returns Windows 8 to the windows format that we know and love (?). It does work and makes it much easier.

Comment

So the UK government forked out £5.5 million to support Windows XP for another year while it moves public-sector PCs to the latest Windows 8.1 operating system.

But what's this ! :ranger:

Microsoft is reportedly on course to ditch its troubled Windows 8 operating system in 2015. :lever:

wot ! :suspicious:

According to tech blogger Paul Thurrott, the world's biggest software maker will confirm at its Build conference in April that a project titled "Threshold" will deliver a new operating system, Windows 9.

It was scheduled, he said, to launch in April 2015 following an update to Windows 8.1 this year which would also include phone software improvements.

http://news.sky.com/story/1194785/mi...launch-in-2015

surly the UK government IT people know this right.:faint:
                Don't let them grind you down

Comment

I turned off my windows firewall and security updates 3 years ago for my XP and it immediatly stopped my computer getting viruses and running problems, i used a site that an ex micro soft employee runs and downloaded this guys thing and it shut microsoft down from interferring with my pc... months later I then became a sky customer and tried to use there macafee free security package thing that comes with there package...it never completed the upload thing and I never had...anyhow 2 years later i am now with virgin ...i have no anti-virus anything from virgin and just have an avg free thing that was originaly installed on my pc...I do not use my pc for banking so do i need anything?...my pc is now 7 years old and runs as good as it ever did...I never download anything so is that why I have no problems?
                  My XP thing is faultless...I just dont get all the fuss and this anti-virus thing.

Comment

Must say I love Windows 8 on my tablet. On the PC I have Windows 7, my son has Windows 8 but only uses desktop mode on it. It seems much more suited to touch screens than keyboards and mouse's.
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X