• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Capquest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capquest

I got a letter from Capquest/equifax which was a court letter saying I had 14 days to respond ect here is what I have done so far
    Went online and acknowledged with the court my intentions to ask for information for my defense,
    Sent £1 to each Capquest and Equifax asking for the Original documentation regarding the debt and this is what I got back.

"Outstanding amount £1,207.94

We refer to the above matter and your recent request for documentation filed under section 77-79 of the consumer credit act 1974.

Our client has informed us that they are unable to retrieve these documents, however we have been notified the last payment on this account was made in the sum of £62.50 on 16 December 2010, therefore acknowledging the debt and admitting liability for the outstanding amount.

We note that this account was previously defaulted upon 22 April 2005 in the sum of £837.27 and therefor our client is only obliged to keep copies of there records for a period of 6 years from this date, hence the reason these documents are now unavailable.

Taking this into account the above points our client is willing to settle this account and therefor offers a short settlement of £603.97 in order to bring this matter to a swift conclusion."

Ok my issue with this is why have they suddenly halved the debt? is it because without the paperwork of the original agreement they cant take this to court and making it half make me think im getting a good deal? or if I do go to court will I have to pay it all and paying the £603 is in fact a good offer?
    Please advise if they are screwed and wont win or should I just pay the lesser sum and avoid court?
    Tags: None

Re: Capquest

Help

Comment

UTTER Rubbish!!! They have to keep copies of the original credit agreement for as long as necessary!

This debt is currently unenforceable due to breaches of s.77-79 CCA and looks unlikely to ever be remedied.

Deary me...... It is truly shocking what these 'companies' tell Litigants in Person.
      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
        UTTER Rubbish!!! They have to keep copies of the original credit agreement for as long as necessary!

This debt is currently unenforceable due to breaches of s.77-79 CCA and looks unlikely to ever be remedied.

Deary me...... It is truly shocking what these 'companies' tell Litigants in Person.

So what should I do now? contact the court with this letter showing I have requested 77-79 and they dont have it and the courts will dismiss the case?

Comment

Did you in fact pay £62.50 ?

M1

Comment

I think the wife did but I was not with her in 2010, but I dont think she knew what it was for, it was just a bill

Comment

so to be clear if they cant supply the documentation, its an absolute defense?

Comment

Originally posted by Dcm Prince View Post
                So what should I do now? contact the court with this letter showing I have requested 77-79 and they dont have it and the courts will dismiss the case?
                Not quite. You would have to submit a defence, what your defence is would depend on whether there was actually a payment made after 2005 or not. If the debt is SBd, then that's an absolute defence with even more substance than s.77/79.

Comment

Originally posted by Dcm Prince View Post
                  so to be clear if they cant supply the documentation, its an absolute defense?
                  No.

It then becomes tactical litigation and you have the upper hand. It can cause the claim to be dismissed but it's not a defence.

M1

Comment

Ok update: My wife has found payments made to the total of £591. they where chasing my wife for £1200 even though the original default was for £837 but now reduced it to £603 due to not having the original paperwork in section 77-79 of the credit act, meaning that my wife only owes them £12..... my wife said she paid more with a diff bank but closed the account years ago, also the £1 sent to Equifax and drysdens only 1 reply has been sent but both postal orders have been cashed and I have a signature proving they where both received, Due to there lack of response, Fraudulently requesting monies that have been paid and general harassment... should I counter claim against the company for stress and harassment and trying to obtain money under false pretenses due to not providing any documentation?

Comment

Not really. Not having paperwork doesn't mean they can't chase money owed.

If however they are chasing way more than they should or are harassing in some way then yes you could.

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2013/882.html

M1

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X