• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Belmont Thornton - How do you stop them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belmont Thornton - How do you stop them?

My wife had a very brief agreement with Belmont Thornton for a PPI claim with Lloyds Bank back in September and October, 2012. Belmont Thornton were incredibly lazy. Lloyds Bank denied that my wife had a claim. Belmont Thornton wrote to her asking her for evidence. She pointed out she'd sent them everything she had and that the onus was on them to obtain the necessary evidence from Lloyds Bank. She didn't get a response, so she wrote, twice, to Belmont Thornton cancelling her agreement in accordance with their terms and conditions, offering to pay them for the miniscule of work done. They failed to respond.

In 2013 on her behalf I lodged a complaint with the FOS against Lloyds Bank. Finally, in January, 2014, thanks to the sterling work of the FOS, and my own persistence, my wife received a compo pay out from Lloyds Bank. To our astonishment, within a matter of just days we received an invoice from Belmont Thornton, demanding 25% of the compo plus VAT.

We wrote and sent by recorded delivery an appeal to Adam Beamish, CEO of Belmont Thornton. He failed to respond. We received a threatening letter from Belmont Thornton in the meantime, saying they were going to pass their claim to a debt collector, as they had not heard from us, in spite of the fact one of their people had signed for the letter sent to the CEO. We sent the letter, again, by recorded delivery. Still no response from Belmont Thornton.

I contacted the FOS. Unfortunately they cannot act, which is a pity, as they are first class. I was advised to contact the Claims Regulation Management Unit, Ministry of Justice. To date this government agency has proved as much use as a chocolate tea pot. The manager I spoke to kept on about what he couldn't do. It is only now after 3 months that they are starting to investigate our complaint against Belmont Thornton. The Ministry of Justice is a complete joke. It's nothing more than window dressing. It is toothless, impotent and useless.

I spoke to a solicitor, who advised me that Belmont Thornton can, under law, only claim for the work they can prove they have done; it must be proportionate. He also said that their threat of a debt collector was scare tactics and that if they did do this it could not affect my wife's excellent credit rating. It sounded as if court was the only means by which to put our case and get justice.

I contacted the OFT, who said they could do nowt, and signposted me to the FCA. They were every bit as rubbish and said there was nothing they could do.

I have also reported Belmont Thornton to Action Fraud for fraud and seeking to obtain monies by menaces/blackmail.

My MP wrote to Belmont Thornton. They simply sent him the letter they sent my wife.

Belmont Thornton then halved their claim, although it is still disproportionate to the miniscule amount of time and effort they invested on my behalf.

I have since spoken to Belmont Thornton's Compliance Officer, Andy Vickery, following a second nasty threatening letter, again, threatening debt collectors. He is the person the Ministry of Justice deal with. He confirmed the Ministry of Justice had not contacted Belmont Thornton even after 3 months - shameful. I informed Mr Vickery that in reality their claim is only worth about £100, if that. All they did was write a handful of very short letters. I also re-iterated that they have committed fraud, by claiming for an agreement that has since legally ended, and claiming to have secured the compo, when they were neither representing my wife, nor had any involvement in securing the compo. This has been confirmed in writing by Lloyds Bank and the FOS.

Is there anything else I can do to ensure Belmont Thornton act within the law and accept payment proportionate to the tiny amount of work they did?
    Tags: None

Re: Belmont Thornton - How do you stop them?

I think your best bet is to escalate it with MOJ. We have a working relationship with them and I suggest we raise the issue together.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
      I think your best bet is to escalate it with MOJ. We have a working relationship with them and I suggest we raise the issue together.
      I'd really appreciate that. It's been a complete nightmare dealing with Belmont Thornton. How do we raise the issue together with the MOJ?

Comment

I'll send you a private message asking for some details.

Comment

MOJ are now in touch with justiceisararecommodity.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X