• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Dismissed after extended probation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dismissed after extended probation

my probation has been extended by 4 weeks to enable me to improve my performance and meet my targets. I have been told I have not met my targets set during this period. I have not followed management instruction as these were not reasonable and I deemed punative, I informed the employer at the time I would not be following them. they have sited this as one of the reasons as well as not meeting the targets. I am waiting for an outcome and date for a meeting where I could be dismissed or probation extended for 4 weeks. could I be dismissed for not following management instrution as I dispute I have ntot met the targets. I did not receive copies of my supervision or review meeting notes which they said was given to me, they gave me copies when the extended 4 weeks was set. I have not signed or returned them as yet. could this be a defence for me. I work for local goverment
    Tags: None

Re: Dismissed after extended probation

Not doing as asked by management would be a very good reason for dismissal if you know better than the Manager why are you not their Manager

Comment

Unfortunately, as you have not worked there for two years or more you can be dismissed for anything. Unless your dismissal is related to unlawful discrimination, whistle blowing or asserting your rights in a matter of health and safety then you have no claim for unfair dismissal. Very harsh I know but this is how it is.
      Nothing I say should be taken as qualified expert advice. I am not an expert in anything.

If you decide to act on anything I have posted you agree not to hold me liable in any way.

If you are unsure then you need to take proper advice from someone who is an expert.

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
        Not doing as asked by management would be a very good reason for dismissal if you know better than the Manager why are you not their Manager
        I realise this now on reflection but felt the instructions were not reasonable. Line manager met with me to discuss it in supervision but did not make it a disciplinary offence. In the meeting to discuss my performance targets, can they use this in addition as a reason to dismiss me if it was not one of my targets. I was considering if I resigned before the formal meeting would this be on my references.

Comment

I think you need to ask if this is the job for you? I know jobs are hard to find but sometimes we all need to ask ourselves some questions .
          Whatever the outcome good luck in the Job that's right for you.

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
            I think you need to ask if this is the job for you? I know jobs are hard to find but sometimes we all need to ask ourselves some questions .
            Whatever the outcome good luck in the Job that's right for you.
            I think i realise this but advice from friends in local gov is to remain as the outcome maybe positive due to employers lack of proceedure regarding paper work , supervision notes target notes making sure I understood my tasks etc. It may not be a dismissal but extended 4 weeks. not sure if this is they are giving impartial advice or just advice they think I want to hear

Comment

Originally posted by Harmonica View Post
              Unfortunately, as you have not worked there for two years or more you can be dismissed for anything. Unless your dismissal is related to unlawful discrimination, whistle blowing or asserting your rights in a matter of health and safety then you have no claim for unfair dismissal. Very harsh I know but this is how it is.
              I know that they have to follow their disciplinary proceedures, will they be at fault if they have not used it correctly.

Comment

Someone later may offer better advice but you are on probation and I expect if that is not satisfactory you may not be taken on full time

Comment

Probation is just that - a trial where either party may terminate employment, often with a shorter notice period.

People often asssume that a probation period is just a formality. It is not. In fact, many employers take it seriously and not everyone passes it!

In all honesty, it sounds like things haven't worked out. You may wish to resign, depending on your circumstances. If, however, you need to claim JSA you would be better off if you waited to be let go.

Failing the probation doesn't mean that you've done anything wrong - just that you weren't what they were looking for. Employers make mistakes too. Sometimes their job spec is misleading, hiring managers don't know how to interview etc.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X