• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Northern rock loan problems!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northern rock loan problems!

Panicking now as the deadline is on Saturday 12th!

Comment

Amethyst is referring to the extract from your Experian credit file, which you posted above. (Post #9)

The "Settled" date recorded on the entry is 16/04/2008, so currently 8 days before the 6 year time limit.

By this they mean the date they considered your account with them to be settled.

Has that Marlin entry just been added to your file, or does the addition/deletion alert perhaps relate to them removing the entry at the 6 year point? (Obviously 6 years with a different relevance, in terms of when the CRA data should be removed as 6 years have passed since the account was marked settled...however coincidentally the same dates also potentially applying in terms of the statute of limitations in this instance).

Do you know when you actually last made a payment against this account? Perhaps something you could track through bank statements, if payment would have been made electronically?
      I am a Paralegal Consultant.

This means I am not a Solicitor/Barrister/Advocate. I work in Legal Services, however I cannot offer services which are defined as "Reserved Legal Activities" under the Legal Services Act 2007.

Anything posted here should be taken as opinion or general information, not legal advice. It is not possible for me to offer legal advice based on the limited details which can be posted on an open forum. Where possible, I will offer guidance and relevant information, but neither myself nor my practice can be held liable for events resulting from actions taken based on information or opinion shared here.

Comment

I have check my bank account and the last payment was on 29th jun 2007.
        The marlin entry is a new one on my file, as I only recently signed up to experian and at that time, there was nothing recorded to do with the northern rock loan

Comment

Am I right in thinking,that with it being a recent entry on my credit file the loan is settled? Still can't quite get my head around this lol

Comment

It is an odd thing for them to do to your credit file, and the only reason I can think of for them doing it is to try and get around the statute barred date. But then why mark as settled. Odd. Lets get this defended and sorted then sort out the credit file after.

It sounds as though you are best off entering a simple statute barred defence then they must prove the debt is not stat barred.

You have your bank statements which back up that you haven't acknowledged since June 2007 and even if they argue SB is from default date, then reasonably that only takes them to October 2007 so unless theres some random payment made to a DCA you should be ok.

I would like to make sure your cca request was valid though as back up - you mentioned you asked by email for the agreement -did you send the £1 ? If not don't worry we can do that in a letter now.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

A SB defence would be along these lines;

The Defendant contends that the claim is statute barred pursuant to of Section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980. An excess of six years have elapsed since the date on which any cause of action for any breach of contract accrued.

The Claimant's claim to be entitled to payment of £18295 or any other sum, or relief of any kind, is denied.
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

This is the CCA request - http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...y-of-Agreement You only need the simple one and it is a good idea to send it registered post so you have evidence of receipt , you will need to include a postal order or cheque for one pound and it should be sent to the claimant - Marlin - rather than the solicitors.

This basically makes a barr to them enforcing the debt (getting judgment) until they provide the paperwork with all the correct terms on, so if something did happen with the stat barred defence you have that as back up. If they do provide the documents then that's okay too as we can look at how the loan amount shot up to 18k, and check the terms etc.

Not to worry for the moment just get those bits sent off and we can deal with things as and when.
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  It is an odd thing for them to do to your credit file, and the only reason I can think of for them doing it is to try and get around the statute barred date. But then why mark as settled. Odd. Lets get this defended and sorted then sort out the credit file after.

It sounds as though you are best off entering a simple statute barred defence then they must prove the debt is not stat barred.

You have your bank statements which back up that you haven't acknowledged since June 2007 and even if they argue SB is from default date, then reasonably that only takes them to October 2007 so unless theres some random payment made to a DCA you should be ok.

I would like to make sure your cca request was valid though as back up - you mentioned you asked by email for the agreement -did you send the £1 ? If not don't worry we can do that in a letter now.
                  Hi
                  really appreciate your help!
                  i sent the cca request via email with no £1. Should I have done?

so in other words,I need to put the SB as my defence before the 12th

Comment

Ok will get the cca request form sent off tomorrow.
                    Is there any issue with me signing it? I read somewhere that signatures can be transferred!

Comment

Yes sign it, use an antitamper thingamajigs if you like or squiggle a bit extra on your signature and keep a copy of what you send but there's no point giving them an excuse for non compliance due to lack of signing the request. Xx
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Ok great
                        will get it printed of and sent tomorrow.
                        Thanks again

Comment

One more thing before the nights out, how will this work regarding my dead line to put my defence forward,do I need to wait for the relevant info to be sent to me from marlin?

Comment

No, get your defence put in through money claim online, cca is the back up plan xx
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Posted the cca request form, so all that's left to do now is submit my defence on line.
                              Thanks for all your help so far.
                              Alan

Comment

Hi
                                Just filling in the claim form on line and it talks about making a counter claim, what's best to do here? Tick the yes or no option. I noticed there is a rather large fee to make a counter claim!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X