• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mortgage provider threats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortgage provider threats

Hi I have a mortgage with Woolwich (now Barclays) and as I have been on Income support since 2005 I had accrued arrears of about £6000. Over the last 18 months I have tried to find a way to compromise with them. I have asked to add it on to the end of the mortgage, and increase the mortgage term, I have asked to be transferred to a mortgage with lower interest rates as mine is high, but everything I suggest they refused. When my children started school last september I managed to find a part time job, enabling me to come off benefits and I am now on working tax benefit. Unfortunately due to loss of council tax benefit and other related benefits I am really not much better off, but I had a visit from an independant financial/debt advisor. He suggested to them everything `i had already suggested and they again refused. They asked for more than I can afford a month. He advised me to pay an extra £100 a month until they reconsidered my offer. This was before christmas and I had heard nothing until recently. They have come back to me and said that unless I pay and extra £350 a month they will take me to court. This is an impossibility and I am beside myself with worry that the house will be repossessed and my 3 children and myself will be homeless. Since I have been working part time I have religiously paid my payment every month and an extra £100. They will not even consider any help, and there is no reasoning, they just say we will take you to court if you don't pay. Please can anyone help me as I don't know what to do next. Thank you.
    Tags: None

Re: Mortgage provider threats

Ask them to look into your case under section 9 of The Lending Code with relates to financial hardship.

http://www.lendingstandardsboard.org...endingcode.pdf
    Page 28. It does not appear as though they are not budging. Realistically you need to work out how much extra you can financially afford to pay and put that to them.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I cannot realistically afford more than the £100 that I am paying them extra per month at the moment but they said that is not enough. They have also taken loads from me in charges.
      Last edited by vez; 22nd March 2014, 11:31:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vez View Post
        Thanks for the reply. I cannot realistically afford more than the £100 that I am paying them extra per month at the moment but they said that is not enough. They have also taken loads from me in charges.
        Charges can come under financial hardship so put something in writing stating everything and tell them that you need help. That covers part of your obligations under the lending code section 9. Ask them to treat you as a customer in financial hardship because if they insist on £350.00 a month then that means that you would have insufficient funds to be able to feed and clothe your children and pay your bills. You need to keep a copy of any letter you write to ensure that if needs be you can take this further.

I would add that you need to look at all your finances and cut out anything that is not absolutely essential for your well being.
        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X