• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax empty property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax empty property

Recently purchased property council says i am liable for property being empty for 2 years previous and have to pay higher rate is this correct
    Tags: council tax

Re: Council tax empty property

Originally posted by Buddieboy87 View Post
    Recently purchased property council says i am liable for property being empty for 2 years previous and have to pay higher rate is this correct
    Hi Buddieboy welcome to LB :beagle: That's a new one on me, as I understand it, you CANNOT be held liable to pay a debt accrued by a previous occupier or owner prior to YOUR occupation and/or purchase. If that was the situation, the water and power utilities, and other creditors holding debt at that address would be able to force a new owner to inherit the debt also. Council Tax billing is in the name of the occupier at the time of the occupation, liability ends when they leave, but the debt remains with them, and cannpt be tagged to a new occupier, or backdated for any period empty awaiting sale etc to the new occupier.

Are they claiming that the property has been revalued and is now in a higher band? Are they saying you must pay extra as it was empty like a surcharge on your bill?

Your liability dates from the date of occupation only. Other Beagles will no doubt be able to help further

What crazy council are saying this?

Comment

Originally posted by Buddieboy87 View Post
      As Bizzybob says, you are liable only from the time you took control of the property. What are the 'higher' and 'lower' rates to which they are referring, and why?

Do not deal with them by email or telephone. Everything in writing.

Comment

Is this a commercial or residential property, there may be a bearing if it is business premises and it is business rate we are discussing rather than council tax.

The council may be charging a higher rate of business rates to try to recoup losses on an empty property, still naughty if that is the case imho.

Comment

I used to work in ctax benefit and there is no way in which you would be liable to pay back tax if you had no interest in the property before you bought it ( ie. unless you lived there or had a financial interest in it). You could refer them to the person /company you bought it from in any case they would be on the land Registry, which is cheap and easy to access. As for the extra tax some Councils can and do charge multiples of the basic tax for empty/part time occupied properties. The discount on a house I inherited , which I part own lost its discount about 2 years ago and there is talk about charging more for those type of properties. I hope this helps. Again get everything in writing, also they may try to take you to Court, but it would be thrown out, especially if you attend with evidence ( they did this to me, even though I had paid in full and they ended up with a load of court costs!)
          good luck, also get in touch with your local Councillor as they have to respond promptly to them.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X