• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Married but separated: is it adultery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Married but separated: is it adultery?

Hello,
    I am married but 18 months separated and my estranged husband has found a new girlfriend. I was waiting for a 2 year with consent divorce, but could I divorce now, for adultery? It would get this over and done with sooner. Looking for any guidance to explore my options, thanks Golfing Girl

Re: Married but separated: is it adultery?

Personally, I would wait the 6 months to be honest because it might be better to have the divorce as an amicable conclusion to the marriage rather then necessarily creating an issue that might become unpleasant.

I'd wait for further advice btw.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

The cost difference between a 'consent divorce' v a 'contentious divorce' could be prohibitive. The only way this could work would be if your ex was happy to be divorced on the grounds of his adultery?
      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Is your ex in 'lurve' with his new squeeze? If so, then as Celestine suggests, you may be able to play on this and get him to agree to adultery.

Comment

I think you should wait for enough time to divorce rather than divorce adultery to be so much going offensive. Wish you happy later :tinysmile_grin_t:

Comment

Thanks for the replies - costs are a major consideration so I'll have to think about it more before making a decision. Also, I doubt he would agree to adultery without a fight (and I can't be bothered with that).

Comment

You might also consider the new girlfriend may not wish to be named in an adulterous divorce.
              They were out to get me!! But now it's too late!!

Comment

Originally posted by basa48 View Post
                You might also consider the new girlfriend may not wish to be named in an adulterous divorce.
                You actually don't have to name a co-respondent these days - you can just say (eg) "a woman".

Golfing Girl - does your husband want to be divorced too?

If so, it's quite possible to come to an agreement to do it quickly - most grounds just boil down to "irretrievable breakdown", which can be because of adultery, or unreasonable behaviour, or desertion etc.. There are various formulations that the courts will accept as proper grounds and I defy even the "happily" married not to be able to come up with examples of what the courts would accept as "unreasonable behaviour" in a spouse.

See here: https://www.gov.uk/divorce/grounds-for-divorce

and here: http://www.divorceaid.co.uk/legal/process.htm

None of it's made public (unless you're "celebs") and the grounds don't affect either the financial settlement or the arrangements for any children.

If you use a solicitor, make sure they are Resolution accredited:

http://www.resolution.org.uk/

and try to agree as much as possible between the two of you beforehand in as co-operative a spirit as possible. By far the greatest costs are incurred by couples using solicitors to score points against each other which are anyway irrelevant to the outcome.

Good luck. x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X