• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court claim from Capquest through Dryden's Fairfax... Running out of time!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court claim from Capquest through Dryden's Fairfax... Running out of time!!

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone for the masses of help that is available on this site, much of which, I have used so far. If it wasn't for sites like LB, the likes of my partner and I would not know where to turn for help.

Right... I am posting on behalf of my partner, who is a complete technophobe and we would really appreciate some further help, on which route to take next.

My partner received a Court claim from Capquest through Dryden's Fairfax solicitors, on the 20th February 2014 (Initiated on the 17th) for what we assume is a Lloyds credit card debt. The alleged debt is for just over £4000 including costs.

(As highlighted on a few other posts on here, our claim form was not signed by an individual. Just typed 'drydens ltd t/a drydensfairfax').

To cut a long story short, we had a business from 2006-2007 and due to massive problems regarding one of the leases, we had to throw in the towel. This resulted in personal bankruptcy for myself and a handful of business debts, that were still attached to my partner, being left ouststanding.

The alleged claim, we think, is for a company credit card that had both of our names on. I am unsure however, as to whether my partner actually signed the credit agreement. I have some niggling idea that she was just named as a permitted user on the card and as such, wouldn't be liable anyway.

Another issue may be, that the debt is 'Staute Barred'. The card was taken out in 2006 but due to the nature of the businesses problems, no payments were made to the account since at the very latest, September 2007 and I was declared Bankrupt in December 2007.

The account is showing as 'Defaulted' in March 2009 on her Experian credit report.

My partner HAS made token payments to various creditors who have pursued her over the years, with payments made to those as as recently as March 2010. However, we are pretty certain that no payments were made to Lloyds or anyone acting on their behalf etc. regarding this account.

We have sifted through her bank account statments as far back as 2007, but of the payments she has made to various DCA's, we cannot match any of them specifically to this account.

Therefore, upon receiving the claim pack on the 20th February, we followed all the helpful instructions on here, registered acknowledgement of service with the courts and fired off the relevant CCA and CPR requests to Capquest and Drydens (Special Delivery Guaranteed) on the 21st March. These were received two days later by Dryden's and 4 days later by Capquest, due to re-direction.

We received a letter back from Drydens on the 24th February detailing the following:

"We acknowledge receipt of your Part 31.14 CPR request.

We will request the documents specified from our client and forward them to you upon their receipt at our offices.

Our file has been placed on hold and no further action will be taken until we rspond to you.

We will allow you 14 days from the dtae we respond to you for you to review the documents and file your response to the proceedings accordingly. Your immediate response is therefore not required."

Knowing that this process is extremely time sensitive, we didn't take their response as sufficient to the urgency of the situation, so sent the template letter in the form of an email and a letter to Dryden's on 4th March 2014, reminding them of their CPR responsibilities.

Unfortunately, we sent the letter by 'Signed for' post instead of 'Special Delivery Guaranteed' and due to the complete incompetence of Royal Mail, the letter is still in 'their system' and has not yet been delivered!!

However, we ultimately received no reply from Dryden's or Capquest regarding the original CCA or CPR requests, so sent a final request letter on the 11th March 2014 giving them 7 days to respond or we would seek compliance through the courts.

From the dates on the claim form, we have calculated that our defence must be delivered by the 22nd March (Next Saturday). Would our next move be to go ahead with the N244, if we do not receive any response from them by Tuesday morning?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Court claim from Capquest through Dryden's Fairfax... Running out of time!!

Yes an application is the way forward. Have you phoned them at all to enquire when they'll comply with 31.14 ?

M1

Comment

Re: Court claim from Capquest through Dryden's Fairfax... Running out of time!!

Hi M1,

Thank you for the swift reply.

The answer to your question is 'No', my partner is the nervous type and hates talking on the phone to any type of officials, for fear she will 'put her foot in it'.

I tried to get her to call them but she prefers to deal with letter and email (more time consuming, I know). She feels that getting and receiving everything in writing is the best way forward.

It seems from their lack of response to the CPR and CCA request that they may be having trouble actually producing the documents they have based their claim on. Hopefully, this is the case, but in terms of covering all bases at our end and seeming reasonable to the courts in our requests for said documentation, the order does seem our only option, at this late stage.

Thanks,

Hattie

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X