• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Reclaim Mis-sold NatWest Advantage Gold Package Accounts – Successful Case Study

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reclaim Mis-sold NatWest Advantage Gold Package Accounts – Successful Case Study

Stacey its http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ur-information

Its in that thread and should help explain what it is etc xx

Thanks L'Pool It felt amazing lol Definately have the complaint bug so I'm starting on my sisters banks now lmao xx

Comment

Re: Reclaim Mis-sold NatWest Advantage Gold Package Accounts – Successful Case Study

Well Done Lou Lou

It is something I have been trying to deal with NAT west for some time.
      Please could you post up the address you used for complaint I have the Edinburgh Address for SAR but
      not sure of the complaints dept .
      thanks

Comment

I don't have a written address I sent my complaint via email. will come back when I've found it

Comment

PPI.ExecutiveConcerns@rbs.co.uk and GCRExecutiveSupport@rbs.com xx

Comment

Hello LouLouxx

I am new to this forum and was particularly impressed by your success reclaiming your packaged account fees from Natwest, so much so it encouraged me to also reclaim as like you I have not benefited from the advantage gold account held since1999 to present. Thanks to your post I have received a repayment for £1,862 plus £751 interest.
            I have also asked for additional charges to be taken into account (often due to the timing of account fees and interest this took me over my overdraft limit thus incurring charges). I have asked for charges to be taken into consideration & received a letter today indicating that they will refund a further £132 to my account, however they have only listed 7 Occasions in 2010 when I have incurred charges due to this ( I do have most of my statements dating back to 1999 and will have to check if there are more charges incurred due to the timing of the fees I am sure there will be).
            I do have a question for you, you kindly posted your letter which indicated a payment for charges, could you please share with me what sort of charges these where?
            Kind regards
            eileen

Comment

Well Done Eileen that is wonderful news. The charges were where my account had been in the overdraft so I'm guessing it was that and interest plus where I had gone over. I had a huge overdraft that I virtually lived in for at least 8yrs or so. I also think that as I never received any special rates that I should've got that were also taken into account. NatWest I have to say are the first that I know to be upfront and honest about what you should receive as I only originally ask for fees plus interest the excess was purely off their own back. In the 11yrs I had the account I saved just under £30 lol.

Well done and I'm glad that you have had a great result xxx

Comment

Thanks for the reply loulouxx

I will re-contact Natwest as I have also lived in my overdraft for years (automatically increased by them without my request). I have had lots of fees (some which I cannot identify) over limit charges, referral charges, unpaid items etc. plus the interest on top each month, these must total few thousand pounds over the years. I am currently trying to sort out my finances after being stuck in this cycle of debt for years. I will let you know if I have any success reclaiming the charges incurred

thanks again for taking the time to answer

Eileen

Comment

The other thing I would mention is that to clear my overdraft I had to take out a loan that was over the odds on the interest it was at a ridiculous amount something like 29% I'm sure that was a part too. I have always been the same and only just starting to wake up after burying my head in the sand for so long. Have you DSAR them? it will cost £10 postal order but then you'll have all the information they have to do the sums. Maybe you had benefited from the better interest rates? That was the main reason my charges were so high was because I hadn't except for £30 for the whole 11 years lol.

Good Luck and definitely keep us posted!

xxx

Comment

hi well done
                    i am at fos stage at the moment which has been part upheld but i disagree with the findings so i have asked the ombudsman to review the adjudicators points

i was on a step account way back in 2004 and had been trying to get an overdraft this kept been declined due to credit scoring also any upgrade to a better account as i only had a cash point card the last time i tried was in 2006 November time kept asking a few times during 2007 at one day in december 2007 i asked about an overdraft the bank person who was the manager took me into his office logged on and said i should be on the avg which comes with benefits he rimed them off told him i didn't drive and that i wanted an overdraft he said this account would give me a buffer zone of £1oo and it would improve my credit score as i had been declined quite a few times he then went on to travel insurance i told him i had a medical condition and this would be good he then quickly on to promoting its 5 Starr benefits making me believe i would be covered
                    this all took 15 minutes i had to sign there and then the welcome pack did not come out to me until April 2009 and then 2010 my account was opened in December 2007 i had no information at the point of sale and its only in 2011 i found i had been going on holiday thinking i was covered for my medical condition only to find i had to pay extra for my condition been a diabetic this is at £80.00 the fos seems to over look the point of sale and looking at me wanting the insurance which is wrong i get the extra cover for my medical condition not for its cost as it would be cheaper else ware not sure were to start at looking at interest on my loan as i am sure nationwide was cheaper rate at time of 2011 and not sure how to work the way machine to look for interest on my loan in 2011 for 10.000 and interest on my MasterCard to put to them what do i need to look for to compare
                    hope you can help me and well done mr on your refund good work well i have got mine part upheld hope the ombudsman sees the need for a full uphold on my case thanks for any help guys and girls :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

Hi Mickynnm

I reclaimed the packaged account fees due to the fact that I was upgraded to the advantage gold account in 1999 (previously I had a 'credit zone' account). The bank clerk asked me to attend a 'review' meeting regarding my account, it was at this point that she changed my account to the advantage gold account - this was not for the benefits, purely to continue with the overdraft facility as I was advised the credit zone accounts were being upgraded to adv. gold. And I would have to have this account to continue with my overdraft.
                      I had actually used the green flag breakdown with this account (although it was useless as They would only tow me 10 miles, therefore I was only towed part of the way and had to ring the following day as they limited how far they would tow you per 24 hour period - useless!!!!!). I was also covered at the time by the AA on my partners card but wanted to use at least one of the 'benefits' I had paid so much for over the years.
                      Natwest refunded the packaged account fees I had paid due to the miss-selling of this account, they told me that they are not interested in similar accounts offered by alternative banks, they will only compare to what other accounts they had on offer ( the calculated saving for the 15 years I had this account for on my overdraft was only £70, this was calculated by them compared to other non fee paying accounts they offered) This amount was taken from the refund I received.
                      I did telephone Natwest to ask for the charges applied to my account for this period to also be refunded, I had a very long, frustrating conversation with a 'gate keeper' who told me they had changed their policy 'within the last month', therefore I was not entitled to ask for my charges and these were my fault and due to the way I had managed my account. He would not give me any details or exact date of this policy change and when I challenged this saying that I had sent my letter more than a month before he was not interested.
                      The reason you are asking for your fees to be refunded are because they miss-sold it to you due to the fact that this account was sold to you mainly for the overdraft you were applying for, they did not offer you any other alternative non fee paying accounts or give you any information with regard to other accounts which may have been more suitable (and cheaper), they also led you believe that this account would improve your credit score - these are the two areas I would concentrate your reasons for the account being miss-sold. The insurances with the account were also useless for you as you did not drive ( also it may be helpful to find out how much travel insurance would cost and send this to the ombudsman)
                      My experience with Natwest is that they are not interested in what accounts, credit cards, loans etc. other banks offer, however they should have given you information regarding other non fee accounts they offered. (Sorry if this is not very helpful as I am not an expert and was helped by reading the post by LouLouxx).
                      Good luck
                      eileen

Comment

Hi Mickynnm

sorry I forgot to mention (as I don't know when you contacted the bank to ask for your packaged fees to be refunded). The 'natwest gate keeper' I spoke to told me I was lucky to have had the fees refunded as people had been refused previously, therefore my letter had arrived at the 'right time' (April), perhaps you might have been unlucky due to the date when you asked for your fees to be refunded (I don't know if this helps but it would seem unfair if you were refused due to when you had sent your letter)

Hope you are successful

eileen

Comment

Originally posted by mickynnm View Post
                          hi well done
                          i am at fos stage at the moment which has been part upheld but i disagree with the findings so i have asked the ombudsman to review the adjudicators points

i was on a step account way back in 2004 and had been trying to get an overdraft this kept been declined due to credit scoring also any upgrade to a better account as i only had a cash point card the last time i tried was in 2006 November time kept asking a few times during 2007 at one day in december 2007 i asked about an overdraft the bank person who was the manager took me into his office logged on and said i should be on the avg which comes with benefits he rimed them off told him i didn't drive and that i wanted an overdraft he said this account would give me a buffer zone of £1oo and it would improve my credit score as i had been declined quite a few times he then went on to travel insurance i told him i had a medical condition and this would be good he then quickly on to promoting its 5 Starr benefits making me believe i would be covered.
                          Pity I hadn't see the post before. Firstly, there is no overdraft on a step account ever at that time. Furthermore, they did not offer the Current Plus account which would have had a better card(subject to credit scoring) and would have had the £100 buffer zone(if you still have the buffer zone then be careful as they charge for an authorised overdraft as do other banks).

this all took 15 minutes i had to sign there and then the welcome pack did not come out to me until April 2009 and then 2010 my account was opened in December 2007 i had no information at the point of sale and its only in 2011 i found i had been going on holiday thinking i was covered for my medical condition only to find i had to pay extra for my condition been a diabetic this is at £80.00 the fos seems to over look the point of sale and looking at me wanting the insurance which is wrong i get the extra cover for my medical condition not for its cost as it would be cheaper else ware not sure were to start at looking at interest on my loan as i am sure nationwide was cheaper rate at time of 2011 and not sure how to work the way machine to look for interest on my loan in 2011 for 10.000 and interest on my MasterCard to put to them what do i need to look for to compare
                          So you used the benefits of the account which is where the ombudsman is going on this one and spent the £80 on better coverage so in that way benefitted from the account. You benefitted from a reduced rate on the loan if it was with the bank.
                          hope you can help me and well done mr on your refund good work well i have got mine part upheld hope the ombudsman sees the need for a full uphold on my case thanks for any help guys and girls :tinysmile_twink_t2:
                          Simply from what you have written above I personally am inclined to agree with the ombudsman decision. On the one hand, you were not offered a "free if in credit" account that would have had the same facilities as the ADGD but at the same time, you appear to have used one of the benefits of the account ie insurance. Have I misread that insurance bit? Plus the discount on the loan as well is another benefit used. Misselling would have probably meant that you would have got separate insurance despite having that account as well.
                          "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                          (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Hi Mickynnm, Sorry I haven't been online. Thanks. For a start the welcome pack should have been sent to allow you a cooling off period. Eileen's right Natwest don't look too much into what rates were for other banks. As for improving your credit rating and also about the 5star benefits was it ever mentioned that you would need to pay for the extra as you had a medical condition? I would list all the points that were not upheld and answer them one at a time. I find that just writing a letter and not address ing each point can open yourself to mistakes and also confusion so each point bullet point and give your answer in a different colour. The way back machine you need to put in the website then it will give you the years where they have files available (some banks don't work but I'm sure nationwide does) select the year that is closest then it'll give you months and dates. Always go if possible for the bigger circled dates as they have more info.

Keep us updated Good Luck x

Comment

Hi Leclerc, Long time no hear. not sure if it helps but I registered my phone on the insurance and I'm sure that I benefitted from the OD fees by £30 in 11yrs lol. If he wasn't told about the extra charge for the insurance and was told that he was covered but not at an extra charge that would be a mis sale? However if told about the charge then it wouldn't be as the info was given.

Thats how I read it

Comment

Originally posted by loulouxx View Post
                                Hi Mickynnm, Sorry I haven't been online. Thanks. For a start the welcome pack should have been sent to allow you a cooling off period. Eileen's right Natwest don't look too much into what rates were for other banks. As for improving your credit rating and also about the 5star benefits was it ever mentioned that you would need to pay for the extra as you had a medical condition? I would list all the points that were not upheld and answer them one at a time. I find that just writing a letter and not address ing each point can open yourself to mistakes and also confusion so each point bullet point and give your answer in a different colour. The way back machine you need to put in the website then it will give you the years where they have files available (some banks don't work but I'm sure nationwide does) select the year that is closest then it'll give you months and dates. Always go if possible for the bigger circled dates as they have more info.

Keep us updated Good Luck x
                                hi loulouxx

I didn’t find anything comparable in regards to NatWest free accounts but I did find interest for 2001 for a free account at Nationwide, Barclays and Santander (was back then Abbey National) which showed that the rates I got were of no benefit and this also back up the fact that I was given no other option to compare the benefits vs a free account. This was also true for my loan and my overdraft.
                                thank you for your reply the ombudsman adjudicator has part upheld my complaint and that part is miss selling
                                but her request to natwest is that they pay back my advantage gold fees from 2007 to 2013 then natwest is to be given back the difference
                                if i had been given the advantage blue also for me to pay back a £371.00 saving preferential at 1% from a loan i have with them

i have asked for a ombudsman to view my case as i would not of taken out the avg or blue account had i been advised properly about the accounts overdraft i didn't get strait away why my welcome pack come 2yrs later been aware of my medical condition at the point of sale and as far as the loan what am i expected to do this is what the account was meant to do

keep you updated thanks again all for any help with these guys
                                Last edited by mickynnm; 13th June 2014, 09:13:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X