• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

On-going problems with Letting Agent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On-going problems with Letting Agent

Hello,

I'm new here - so please be gentle. I've read the FAQ's and thought I'd post here to see if anyone can help in anyway possible.

I'm currently a Tennent renting a 3-bedroom house in Darwen, Lancashire. The house has a small extension fitted to the rear of the property where the kitchen is (Common for houses in this area).

Around the middle of December I came home to find a big leak coming through the kitchen roof and through the kitchen ceiling above the door.

I contacted the letting agents, who eventually sent someone out two weeks later. The work wasn't done properly (Builder came, blamed someone else, didn't check the roof, and arrange to come back the following day saying he knew what the problem was and would fix it, but didn't trap until several says later).

The problem got a lot worse after they came, and a second leak had started a few feet to the side. Problem is it was dripping onto the only surface we have to cook food on, and all over the cupboard we store food in, as well as running along the ceiling to the light fittings.

Again I told the letting agent about this, and they promised to send the builders back out.

Builders came back out in the beginning of Jan, blamed the apprentice, touched the ceiling, and said it was all done.

The following day it rained again, and the leaks were still there.

I contacted the letting agent again, said it was unacceptable that I'm paying to live in a leaking kitchen (We had problems with the "door" the same builders fitted after the last one was kicked in as part of a robbery - they managed to leave AN INCH GAP at the bottom of the door...), with water coming through the ceiling, along the light fittings, over the food surfaces, and under the kitchen door.

Woman got a bit snotty, said they'd been paid and she'll get them back out.

So out they came again, and they took a look at the roof, did something on the roof, and again said it was all done, but if it happened again, they need to come out when it's raining to see where it's leaking.

So again, a few days later (Late Jan...), it rains hard. Problem is I've spent several days taking time off to wait for them to arrive (either they didn't turn up without calling, or they spent less than 5 mins staring at the ceiling and said they'd come back to fix it) and at this point, I said I'm back home after 6pm and they can look at it then.

Builder refused to come round then, but said he'd take a look at it during the week, and would speak to the Letting Agents about re-roofing it "as I've done as much as I can, and I can't see where it's leaking".

No communication from the letting agent until this week, when I went down to ask what's happening - Letting Agents now say the builder has to come back (again) to look at the ceiling and roof (again) when it's raining, to try and fix it.

Again.

I've spent the past week trying to get hold of them, to be told they'll be out today to look at it. So I've booked another day off, and no sign of them. No answer when I call, and no response to the voicemails I'm leaving.

Each time I've contacted the letting agents, I've made it clear I want it fixing (It's a leaking roof!), as it's not safe to prepare/cook in, and I'm not having my pregnant partner potter around in a leaking kitchen with water running down it and near the light fittings.

I've even offered to get someone in that knows what they're doing (I had a builder some over who was able to see the crack in the roof tiles, but the builders the Letting Agents use won't believe me) and deduct it from the rent, but they're not having it.

Complaints at the office are met with a "I'm sorry to hear that", a condecending tone, and an offer to get the same people back out again.

I've had to do xmas dinner at a relatives house for my family instead of doing it at mine because of this, and I've had as much as I can take.

Where can I go from here? I've got a chain of emails to show time/dates of the complaints, and pictures as well.
    Tags: None

Re: On-going problems with Letting Agent

Forgot to add - we were broken into during November, and it took EIGHT weeks to find a door (They opted to get a standard wooden internal door and put a lock on it...), get the measurements right (took several visits), get the right sized door (That took 3 visits - either the door was too big, small, or opened the wrong way), and then they evantually came back to fill the INCH gap at the bottom of the door.

I offered to do it and bill them, go and get a door fitted and bill them, and even managed to get a quote from our local B&Q for a decent PVC door with deadlocks, frame, and fitted for less than they spent on the door they fitted.

I'm not even going to go into detail about when they tried to take the mickey out of my partner because she works lates at a pub, and was always in a dressing-gown when they eventually turned up at stupid-o'clock...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X