• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DCA Persuing A DWP Debt I Don"t Owe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCA Persuing A DWP Debt I Don"t Owe

I got a letter from a DCA ( CCS ) claiming they are chasing a debt/over payment on behalf of the DWP. I strongly feel this is a mistake, as I have not claimed any benefits to my knowledge in the past 10 years at least. So I sent them a " Statute Barred Scotland " letter, and this morning received a letter from them (the link). So I have now sent them a " Prove The Debt Is Mine " letter, to see how they proceed. Have I done the right thing?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lagomera; 27th February 2014, 12:39:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: DCA Persuing A DWP Debt I Don"t Owe

With Public Debt, the rules are slightly different in that they are never Statute-Barred. However, it is known that DWP are trying to claw back a lot of money and are engaging the likes of CCS Collect to help them do this.

You are correct that you should seek to establish whether DWP do, in fact, have a right in law to make the demand they are making or have made a blunder, which is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Wait and see what CCS Collect have to say and if it is clear they are simply being obstructive and/or unco-operative, come back onto this thread and we will help you progress the matter further.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Thanks for your help, I shall wait to see what CCS come up with!

Comment

Hi i was on benefits "single Parent" back in 2004 ,whilst on Benefits i apllied for a budgeting loan due to cooker an frige breaking down within a week of eachother,i applied in 2005 an got 700 pound,as soon as kids were old enough i went back to work,i then got a letter from CCS in 2010 demanding this money back,i could not believe it ,why take so long to ask for it back ,i agreed to 12.00 a week standing order but they carried on harrasing me every week asking if i could pay more !Not a nice company to deal with !

Comment

Originally posted by lagomera View Post
          Thanks for your help, I shall wait to see what CCS come up with!
          Let us know anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by buds68 View Post
            Hi i was on benefits "single Parent" back in 2004 ,whilst on Benefits i apllied for a budgeting loan due to cooker an frige breaking down within a week of eachother,i applied in 2005 an got 700 pound,as soon as kids were old enough i went back to work,i then got a letter from CCS in 2010 demanding this money back,i could not believe it ,why take so long to ask for it back ,i agreed to 12.00 a week standing order but they carried on harrasing me every week asking if i could pay more !Not a nice company to deal with !
            Commercial entities acting for public authorities either don't comprehend or do and hope members of the public don't find out that they are subject to human rights law along with the public authority. This also applies to their employees. This means that in all dealings with you, they must not perform any act which is incompatible with your rights under the European Convention on Human Rights, enshrined within Schedule 1, Human Rights Act 1998. Any commercial practices they engage in must be compliant with Schedule 1, otherwise they could end up in court and have an order made against them preventing recurrence and requiring the payment of compensation and costs. There is pro bono legal advice and representation out there and any commercial entity that takes on public contracts does need to be very mindful of its responsibilities under the Human Rights Act 1998. Compliance is mandatory, not optional.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I am going to deal with this DCA with the contempt I have for all DCA's! The best of it, is I don't think I owe the DWP any money, so until they send me proof, I ain't paying anything!

Comment

Just got a letter back from CCS after sending them the "Prove The Debt Is Mine" letter. They have already admitted they cannot take legal action, but they said that I need to contact the client in question ( DWP ) as the debt was not in dispute at the time they recieved it. The last time I delt with the DWP, I would say was over 8 years ago, and from what I can remember, I did not owe them any money. I don"t understand why, if I did owe any money, the DWP themselves did not pursue the matter. Just wondered what reply to make to CCS now? Thanks

Comment

Reply does not need many words I can only think of 2.
                  Deal only with the DWP

Comment

Yeh, this DCA does not really scare me, this is my reply letter :
                    Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me about the above account which you alleged I owe.
                    My position has not changed on the matter.
                    I do not believe this is my debt, or owe the DWP any money.
                    Even if I did, I would not deal with your company, but rather the DWP themselves.
                    As I have never had any such demands from the DWP, and you have not been able to provide me with any credible evidence or details that there is such a debt, this will be my last correspondence on the matter.

Yours Sincerely
                    Last edited by lagomera; 6th March 2014, 13:15:PM.

Comment

Sounds slightly better than my 2 words Good letter short to the point

Comment

Desperate government departments sending out speculative claims and then setting the heavies on people (they are averse to actually suing, you notice), seems to be something of a trend.

Comment

All well and good and quite right to claim money back but before they do some proof might no go amiss

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X