• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Writing to your mp about benefit problems...A Letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing to your mp about benefit problems...A Letter

I have recently had to write to my MP regarding my problems with the DWP and a few other things....Anyway ,I am not very if at all experianced in writing letters and my spelling and grammer is terrible i know...I looked on-line and there is little help about letters to your MP regarding the DWP and people suffering ect...So I went for it and wrote a letter with out a template, a first for me,trying to be factual and trying to get so many points across type of thing...Anyhow I realise for some it must be difficult to write such letters,and as mine got a response within days I would like to share it by posting it here.I guess its not bad and worth a look if you need ideas.If I can help its a pleasure...Im in no way saying copy it as its so personal, but it can give some one who struggles with letters an idea of what kind of thing works.Also the "you have always got my vote" low down groverlin is not essential, but must help.

Plus if any legal people want to start a case against the DWP with me it would be appreciated.

Dear Mr ______,

I write to you to ask for your help regarding my dealings with the DWP ,NHS and Lancashire CC.Every where I turn for help I am faced with obstecles that have a negative affect on my health and therefore a greater cost to the system in the long run,things need to change for the sake of all involved.You have always got my vote but with having to deal with the systems in place now I am now very concerned about the running of things in this country.

My story is rather complicated so I will try to keep it short and just give facts.
    I was a managing director of my own sucsessful fast growing VAT registered limited company, the turn over was doubling year on year and the last accounts I did was an annual turnover of £240,000....I was paid £44,000 from this...work was in abundance and in that year I had turned down around £180,000 worth of work because I had enough already...I for 3 years worked 13 hour days 7 days a week to acheive this sucsessful buisness, and I enjoyed every minute of it.
    Then I became ill...I first thought I was just some how burnt out so took 6 months away from work with the full intention of starting again as I had left off,once refreshed.So I organised another company to take over temporeraly.
    This illness never went away and 9 months later I seeked medical advise after an extreme headache.
    July2012 I went to A&E , reffered by local nurse due to extreme headache...Doctor at A&E failed to investigate me properly and sent me home.
    My own GP diagnosed cronic fatigue syndrome CFS...I researshed this and strongly disagreed...he refused to belive my own diagnosis of spinal problems in my neck area ...long story short.....this went on for a long time with numerous visits to other doctors...Very ill, cannot function, disabled with walking problems ,dizzyness and many neurological syptoms that prevented me from leaving the house.I have been in a lot of pain and discomfort since july 2012.
    August 2013....I finaly got an MRI scan of my neck, after fighting for it for the last year and refusing to be told it was just CFS I finaly won and they gave me what I had demanded.
    MRI scan found significant spinal stenosis at c6-c7."Reffer to neuro surgical team for management."
    September 2013 ...Now knowing that my illness was serious and not what I was told it was by my GP , I now realised I needed the help of the benerfit system as I just cannot work.I was always hoping it would be any day soon as my GP was so confident it was nothing serious so I never claimed and just used my savings...with such a delay in treatment ,permanent nerve damage is almost garanteed, so I made a claim for ESA and PIP...and help with my mortgage.
    The DWP backdated my claim to july 15th 2013 and I was given £71 a week until I am placed in a group.
    December 2013 ...I have operation ACDF cervical spine at _____ Hospital preston (private but on the NHS).
    February 2014...I am now on prescription painkillers and am as disabled and as incapable of doing anything as before my operation.
    I need further investigation and have 2 MRI scans this thursday 20th feb.I have just yesterday been reffered to the neurology department at ______ hospital in Yorkshire, so finaly nearly 2 years on from the NHS knowing about my condition I will finaly see someone that can diagnose me, a neuroligist.I have pain management at _______ Hospital and await an appointment to see a counciller at ______ general Hospital .
    Basicly...I am too ill to be assesed as I have spinal problems ,any body movement can agrevate my condition and cause pain.It is obvious to even the most basic trained health proffessional that I cannot work at the moment, and as nerve damage is very likely considering the delay in my treatment and symptoms, it would be very realistic to think I will never recover and work may never be an option again.
    At the moment I cannot pay my Gas and electric for 5 months now.I have borrowed £3000 from parents 6 months ago to pay my mortgage and so i can run a vehcle...there is no public transport near my home, not that i am fit enough to use it anyway.I have also sold my un-installed new kitchen which leaves me without a kitchen and an uncomfotable home.

I now cannot get to my MRI scans in ______ this week as I just dont have the £14 for the diesel.
    The DWP only last week agreed to pay some of the inetrest on my mortgage , backdated they paid into my mortgage account £647 ,becuse I had been paying it all this time whilst they made a decision the payment was made to my bank and the bank told me I cannot have it as the DWP say it is for the morgage account only...But what about the £3000 I borrowed from my parents, the £1000 overdraft I now cannot pay back at all...and the belongings i have sold in order to pay my mortgage...It would seem its tuff luck I cannot acsess this money and as I am now going to be on an inetrest only mortgage the money will just sit there in my account untill the day I start paying in full again, the day i would be working and not need it,which may never happen...I am experiancing extreme hardship yet my morgage account has £647 in credit in it that I cannot acsess.This is wrong and unjust.
    If I could just be put into a group on the ESA that extra money would help a gret deal,let alone the PIP if ever they get round to contacting me.I have heard nothing from Atos,the DWP says it is out of there hands.I applied in September 2013.
    Social services cannot help until I am fully Diagnosed, I see a Neuroligist who will start the diagnostic procedures on March the 24th 2014, so it will be months away until I am eligible for a blue badge and help from social services because they need a named diesease,not symptoms awaiting investigation.
    Lancashire CC just told me my hardship is my own fault for using ESA money for other bills, they cannot issue a crisis loan or offer any help.
    I estimate that depending on what PIP payments I am awarded, with the 20+ weeks that will be back dated...plus my backdated ESA...They owe me a minimum of £1,400 to a possible £3,000...and as I am restricted in all I do I should qualify for the higher amount.
    In my time of need whilst still being medicaly investigated and recovering from a major spinal operation I am made so suffer finacial hardship which Does affect my health and encourages me to use more goverment services.If I could get to the salvation army I would be in receipt of food vouchers.
    Some one like myself should be placed immediately into the not fit to work ESA group, not 20+ weeks later still waiting to be assesed,or even the supposedly 13 as stated on .gov web site.
    In 10 days time I have to take my vehcle of the road as I cannot pay the Road tax that is due,let alone diesel or insurance as things stand...This will make me house bound and 100% reliant on council or government transport shemes.I have Hospital apointments from preston to yorkshire and many GP visits,traveling by a ring and ride service such distances will have a negative affect on my condition as comfort and time of is an issue.
    I am desperate for the benerfits that I am rightly entitled to and need any help or advise that you can give,please.
    I hope you also agree that things need to change with this system that causes even more suffering and cost to people who are genuinely ill and in need...all involved including the tax payers purse suffers when such ill people cannot be left to recover in peace, but have to fight another battle with the DWP and the cowboy companies they employ (Atos).
    Sorry to write so much...I hope you understand my situation and would appreciate your thoughts and any help.

Regards
    Tags: None

Re: Writing to your mp about benefit problems...A Letter

I have not been placed in a group in 3 half years. Sorry I was placed in a group for 3 weeks my money went up to 105 I think and then back down to 70 , they sent me no letters of explanation on either of these changes and last June my money was stopped completely because I was unable to get to atos assessment. I had the local M.P visit me 2 weeks ago and sent a complain off atos website at same time.

good news is I got letter yesterday saying they are sorry I don't need an assessment and dwp will be informed so I will get paid. Try your mp and complaint through their website or call them they will send form out !

Hope you get some help soon

regard

Comment

The £105 pw rate is Support Group rate, whilst £70 pw sounds more like JSA. CFS can be a symptom of a number of conditions including Fibromyalgia, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Post-Viral Syndrome.

I feel you need to speak to your MP about pursuing this matter with the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO). This can only be done through your MP. Both ATOS and the DWP have reached the point where they are acting unlawfully by not dealing with your affairs in a timely manner. 13 weeks is generally deemed to be reasonable and the upper end of "timely". Anything over and above 13 weeks is a breach of Article 6 of the Human Rights Act 1998 and unlawful by virtue of Section 6 of the Act.

Speak to your MP or Google their name and get their email contact details at the House of Commons and send them an email. You will probably receive a response from their assistant, but the matter does need to be brought to the attention of your MP.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

I have had cfs for 20 years. Also diagnosed with fibromyalgia years ago. I was working up until my boyfriend got severely ill with stomach cancer and became his full time lone carer. After my house fire and harrassment from housing ass I became so ill I had to stop caring for my partner and claim benefits..

and although I was supported into work as a disabled person I soon found out that there was. O support when I needed to reclaim disability benefits. And it took 3 claim forms 2 of which went missing. A lot of crisis loans to survive on, (past luxury or should that be human right) and approx 1.5 years later my 3rd claim form was received and claim activated. Only problem here was I had gone passed 13 weeks multiple times I tried calling people and got nowhere, out of the blue I was out in a support group for 3 weeks and took out again, when I telephone to ask why I got no response. My money continued at the flat rate of £71for approx 1.5 years and last June was stopped completely. I appealed about the lack of premium and chose an appeal where I didn't Ttend as it was weeks instead of mths. I lost appeal I don't understand why..

finally atos are admitting fault,

so I wonder will I get all back money from 3.5 years ago as it's approx£8000 I have missed out on in total and about £3.500 in lost premiums I should have got after 13 weeks?
        I wi
        l ill be taking it up with my M.P he's a lovely man

Comment

Originally posted by M.E View Post
          I have had cfs for 20 years. Also diagnosed with fibromyalgia years ago. I was working up until my boyfriend got severely ill with stomach cancer and became his full time lone carer. After my house fire and harrassment from housing ass I became so ill I had to stop caring for my partner and claim benefits..

and although I was supported into work as a disabled person I soon found out that there was. O support when I needed to reclaim disability benefits. And it took 3 claim forms 2 of which went missing. A lot of crisis loans to survive on, (past luxury or should that be human right) and approx 1.5 years later my 3rd claim form was received and claim activated. Only problem here was I had gone passed 13 weeks multiple times I tried calling people and got nowhere, out of the blue I was out in a support group for 3 weeks and took out again, when I telephone to ask why I got no response. My money continued at the flat rate of £71for approx 1.5 years and last June was stopped completely. I appealed about the lack of premium and chose an appeal where I didn't Ttend as it was weeks instead of mths. I lost appeal I don't understand why..

finally atos are admitting fault,

so I wonder will I get all back money from 3.5 years ago as it's approx£8000 I have missed out on in total and about £3.500 in lost premiums I should have got after 13 weeks?
          I wi
          l ill be taking it up with my M.P he's a lovely man
          Being a fellow Fibromyalgia sufferer, I can relate to the CFS you experience and the issues with ATOS and DWP. However, I have a very good claimant advisor at JCP who told me to send in as much information as possible to be upgraded from WRAG to Support Group following a bad flare last year that resulted in my mobility being badly affected. The DLA office were brilliant. They upgraded my mobility component from low to high within 7-10 days of them receiving the claim form. What you put on the forms does have a bearing on what the Decision Maker decides, notwithstanding that the DM may have their own agenda which is very naughty, if not, unlawful as they are supposed to treat everyone equally and fairly and not act in a discriminatory manner. Any unfair and discriminatory treatment should be reported to DWP senior management as soon as you become aware of it.

With regard to the losses you have suffered, your MP is, perhaps, the best person to help you deal with this. If DWP lost any documents, this can be reported to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). They are quite good at "losing" claimant's documents. However, when you say to them, "Am I to understand you are admitting that the DWP has breached the Data Protection Act by losing my personal information?" they suddenly find the documents they allegedly "lost". Good to see ATOS are admitting fault. What have they admitted to doing, altering/fabricating reports? That is what they have been found doing in an umber of cases.

Comment

Haha they are not really admitting as much as passing the buck..which is an insult I maybe disabled but I'm not an idiot.

they are claiming that there was a fault and that the person responsible the HCP doesn't actually work for them anymore so their manager can't take action against them...

all
            I read from that is it's a cop out and they are liable for action against them lol

they said my initial HCP made a mistake and shouldn't have asked me to come for a medical and informed dwp of this fact..so therefore my money should never have been stopped last June they go on to say they have informed dwp andmy benefit should be determine by dwp .

also say that info will be put on the HCP record incase they work for atos again in future.

what a joke

i contacted them to say I'm too ill to attend appointment 30 miles away at 9am. So they said go to gp and get letter to say this and also request home visit. Which I did last July it took them till January to review this letter and then proceeded to send out another appointment in few...by this point I had given up on any chance of getting benefits I called them a few times was spoken really badly to and was told well the gp letter is out of date...OMG...so they then told me to go gp get another letter ,,so my response was what is the point of doing that when his last letter was not looked at for 6mths and then completely ignored ! I was told I had to wait for another appointment to be put on their systems before I could request a home visit..by this point I had lost the plot and decided to get the M.P involved and he visited me in my home few weeks ago and when he left I emailed a complaint from the atos website and now have a result and hopefully really soon will have an income again.

DLA are really good, I get this and this is what has been feeding me and paying some bills. But I have had no real care or mobility help as the money I should use to have this has been on living expenses..

I would be in prison if it wasn't for DLA a lol we all have to eat at the end of the day.

so I'm sorry but I can't accept atos sincere apologies for the concern and inconvenience. That they are admitting in the letter to causing me as a result of this matter,

as it's a damn site more than inconvenient living with no income for nearly a year selling everything you own and getting in severe debt, having your health suffer and family life and being house bound and unable to cope. I am sure the boss of atos wouldn't be happy to lose their income for nearly a year ! So I make no apology for screaming down the phone at them :-)

Comment

If it were me, I would certainly be seeking compensation for having to sell your possessions in order to survive amongst other things. Don't shout down the phone at the muppet who runs ATOS, no matter how angry you feel with them. Sending them a letter informing them you will be getting your MP involved is more likely to worry them than being shouted at. ATOS certainly don't like being asked awkward questions by MPs as a video on YouTube, showing a HoC Select Committee giving ATOS a hard time, shows.

Comment

I found shouting down the phone very therapeutic .. But also got the dial tone lol

it's ok them saying it's the fault of one person and they don't work there anymore,,,but I have spoken to many people and also had call backs from managers and nothing was done. So it's not just one persons failings in my case.

i do believe my MP s involvement is why I got such a quick response, or should I say any response.

Just hoping the dwp are not long activating my 11 month dormant claim. And giving me some much needed cash. I got a horrible feeling they will say I'm not entitled to any back money or just 3 mths.

I suppose my my biggest problem is I was medicated for 8 years with a cns stimulator and haven't had it for 2 years due to all the stress in my life I asked to come off it as my mental state was bad and I felt stimulants were a bad idea at the time, unfortunately 2 years on when I ask for them back I have been refused, these tablets help me live a normalise life and work part time and focus. For past 2 years I haven't functioned at all well and been bed bound most of it. My new dr now says she doesn't know the drug and isn't prepared to prescribe me it..and says a specialist will have to but I don't think that will happen ..so my life continues in a poor state health wise.. Nice to meet someone that knows and understands what I suffer with M.E /cfs it's took nearly 20 years for me to understand it and I still struggle sometimes lol

thanks for your support it means so much

kind regards

Comment

the old saying comes to mind, one rule for them and one rule for us plebs

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X