• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Please post your own experience of reclaiming PPI from Santander

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please post your own experience of reclaiming PPI from Santander

Hi folks

I thought I would start this thread in interest of how you have been dealt with by Santander when you have complained and tried making a reclaim on your PPI.

It appears that many receive the same old standard generic fob off decisions, and something more needs to be done!

Feel free to post of your own experience, attach copies of your letters (deleting personal details).

I have also posted this one up on behalf of a friend who have requested I start a thread off for her, as she would like to share her own experience and more...........

Thank you in advance. :tinysmile_twink_t2:
    Last edited by di30; 22nd February 2014, 18:07:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Please post your own experience of reclaiming PPI from Santander

Just Santander Di !
    Are you a glutton for punishment or what ? ,
    Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

LOL, we can start others threads on other's too DT.....:tinysmile_twink_t2:

So we can keep it separate x:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

Also started this one on behalf of a friend who is due to post soon, due to ongoing matters and will be going further, despite the ppi, they have failed other matters has arised, she will explain more herself when she posts up :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

May ask admin to change the name of the " other one" as I kind of took over yours.!
          Would that be ok?
          Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

Yes hun that is fine hun lol x:tinysmile_twink_t2: I dont mind at all x

Comment

Hello everyone! I am friend of Di.
              please forgive my English which is not perfect, it is my second language.
              I am currently in the process of reclaiming mis-sold PPI from Santander. It has been going on from early December.
              I am a self employed free lance worker of an entertainment industry (musician) and as I discovered recently, I could never be covered for unemployment as every policy has an exclusion, that they will not pay for unemployment if it is a regular feature of my work (which it is for actors, writers, artists, free lance musicians etc.).
              in their rejection template letters, which are written in a breach of the FCA guidelines, Santander keeps insisting that I am covered.
              After I emailed to their CEO, quoting the relevant FCA guidelines, they had to reopen my case. They wrote to me that they now have taken into consideration my employment status. About time!
              it should not have taken 3 rejection letters and my email to the CEO office, bringing their attention to the FCA regulations.
              I still do not know what the result is going to be, at least I gave them a bit of work to do. It made it more difficult to send their usual template rejection letter, totally ignoring the FCA guidelines, after I specifically brought the Handbook to their attention.
              They still can reject it in their usual way, of course.
              However, regardless of the result, I believe Santander should be brought to the attention of the FCA as they repeatedly ignore the FCA regulations, mishandling PPI redress.
              I wonder how many people just accepted their rejection and gave up.
              Santander should not get away with that. They act as they are not aware of the FCA guidelines or as if they are above it.
              it is my aim, whatever the result of my personal case is going to be, to report Santander to the FCA.
              The more stories we can collect, the better.
              I was lucky with other 7 companies, all upheld my complaints. Some of them were very good from the start, some tried to be difficult, but when they realised that I was aware of the FCA Handbook, they gave in straight away. I am happy to share my experiences.
              The way Santander behaves is beyond belief.
              In case it could be helpful to anyone, here is the link to the FCA Handbook. (I am sure, everybody here is aware of it, anyway, I am putting it here, just in case ))

http://fshandbook.info/FS/html/FCA/DISP/App/3

sorry for such a long message and thank you very much for reading it.
              V x

Comment

So happy to see you hear honey :tinysmile_twink_t2:

You made very good points here and with a bit of luck others will post of their own experience with this specific company "Satan" lol, but yes your right, I bet there are many out there that have given up and now more needs to be done, bring the FCA/MP's in, as they need to see how this business and other businesses alike are unfairly treating complaints.

Thank you for that link as well honey!

This is going to be an eye opener! :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

Hi,
                  after some months "lurking", I have finally joined LB. Many thanks to all for their help, especially Dizzy Di, who is far from Dizzy!! This forum is excellent and very forgiving of anyone asking a question, the answer to which may seem obvious. I have reclaimed from M & S, MBNA, I have a Capital One case with the FOS, which brings me to Santander.
                  I wrote to them, they refused. I tried the Underwriter route, Genworth, using advice from Dizzy Di, they refused. I wrote to the Genworth Managing Director UK & Ireland. They refused again. I have now written to the CEO Santander, quoting the information contained in the press re the FSA fine that was levied against GE Capital. The initial letter they sent to me stated that they were not going to pay out my claim, as they had complete confidence that their Sales Process at the time was fine. Anyone reading about the FSA fine knows that the Sales Process was far from fine. I have not heard anything from the CEO yet, however it would be interesting to see the relevant stats to find out how many claims on the shop store cards they have paid out on.
                  Once again, many thanks to all (including you Bill). Spreadsheets are well beyond me but I appreciate all the work you have dome on the MBNA case.
                  :beagle:

Comment

Hello again, thank you very much for that information. That is the point, they, Santander, behave as if PPI mis-sale never happened. What they wrote to you, dear L'pool64, is already in the breach of the guidelines. They should not assume what should have happened, but deal with your particular case.
                    "DISP App 3.3.901/04/2013
                    FCA
                    In determining a particular complaint, the firm should (unless there are reasons not to because of the quality and plausibility of the respective evidence) give more weight to any specific evidence of what happened during the sale (including any relevant documentation and oral testimony) than to general evidence of selling practices at the time (such as training, instructions or sales scripts or relevant audit or compliance reports on those practices)."
                    They should not base their decision to reject your complaint on their complete confidence in their sale process.
                    Are they aware of the mis-sold PPI scandal?
                    They act as if they never heard of it.
                    Now we need another scandal in the press "Mishandling PPI redress".
                    Well done, pursuing your case!
                    fingers crossed.
                    V

Comment

Another thought.
                      The fact that Santander does not learn from previous similar cases, which were upheld, is also in breach of the FCA guidelines.
                      They should be well aware that their process of sales was so far from inspiring any confidence. There are enough of the cases with similar circumstances which were upheld.
                      "FCA APP 3.4. Root cause analysis DISP 1.3.3 R requires the firm to put in place appropriate management controls and take reasonable steps to ensure that in handling complaints it identifies and remedies any recurring or systemic problems. If a firm receives complaints about its sales of payment protection contracts it should analyse the root causes of those complaints including, but not limited to, the consideration of:
                      (5) relevant regulatory findings; and
                      (6) relevant decisions by the Financial Ombudsman Service."
                      It would be interesting to see what will happen after your email to the CEO.
                      You can complain to the FOS, they can take the case against underwriters, who were regulated, while still pressing Santander.
                      what was the reason for the rejection from Genworth?
                      Thank you.
                      V

Comment

Originally posted by L'pool64 View Post
                        Hi,
                        after some months "lurking", I have finally joined LB. Many thanks to all for their help, especially Dizzy Di, who is far from Dizzy!! This forum is excellent and very forgiving of anyone asking a question, the answer to which may seem obvious. I have reclaimed from M & S, MBNA, I have a Capital One case with the FOS, which brings me to Santander.
                        I wrote to them, they refused. I tried the Underwriter route, Genworth, using advice from Dizzy Di, they refused. I wrote to the Genworth Managing Director UK & Ireland. They refused again. I have now written to the CEO Santander, quoting the information contained in the press re the FSA fine that was levied against GE Capital. The initial letter they sent to me stated that they were not going to pay out my claim, as they had complete confidence that their Sales Process at the time was fine. Anyone reading about the FSA fine knows that the Sales Process was far from fine. I have not heard anything from the CEO yet, however it would be interesting to see the relevant stats to find out how many claims on the shop store cards they have paid out on.
                        Once again, many thanks to all (including you Bill). Spreadsheets are well beyond me but I appreciate all the work you have dome on the MBNA case.
                        :beagle:
                        Hiya

Thank you for joining in here and please continue to post.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Now I had a case with Santander and like you and everyone else are always sent away, they seem to have a law of their own.

Like yourself Victoria27 been having the same feedback and no doubt at least hundreds or more too!
                        But I am glad to know your not leaving it there and still fighting.

As you will see Victoria27 added some very useful information, "Satan" do not seem to be following these guidelines, they come back each time with their very own generic fob off letters of rejection.

I am sorry you didnt have a result with Genworth either, but did I ever forward you the letter I sent them? (please remind me) lol. Cheers.
                        Still the responsibility is with Santander and more needs to be done, despite my success with the Underwriter, I should have kept fighting with "Satan", but I am here to back everyone up who is still in the process of dealing with them!

Thank you for the info Victoria27, you have done a grand job, keep up the good fight!

The more that can post up the better, lets not let Satan get away with this, yes like some other businesses, but reading some of the experiences that many been through with them, they are not competant to do their job properly.
                        Well worth reading those links posted by Victoria27 :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

I agree, our Star Di is far from dizzy, she is Dazzling! X

Comment

Thank you, darling Di! You did a wonderful job with the underwriter and it helped so many people. We can still fight with Satan, regardless. The regulations are written for everybody, they should comply, they cannot continue to act according to heir own rules.
                            I hope more people will share their experience and we'll find some way to report them to the FCA. It might be a good idea if people also complain to their MP. The MP can make a representation of the case. If they have enough of cases, they might be a good body to approach some relevant minister.
                            Some companies try to avoid responsibility, however they eventually give in, when faced with the fact that we know the rules.
                            however Satan shamelessly and cynically acts as if they are in some different world. In cases with the store cards, opened before 2005, they know we cannot refer our cases to the FOS, it is possible only with the underwriters. So there is no limit how far they will go in order not to refund.
                            I think we should try to make their shameful behaviour public and, may be involve our MPs, press etc.
                            it cannot go on like this.
                            thank you very much for your support.
                            Vx

Comment

I believe a lot of us received similar, if not identical letters, where rejection is based on the fact that we signed the agreement, the fact that we did not cancel the policy, the fact that somehow it is obvious from the premiums shown on our statements that insurance was optional and other similar rubbish.
                              It only proves that Santander totally ignores the FCA guidelines and the fiduciary duties they are required to observe.
                              "DISP App 3.3.5
                              01/04/2013
                              FCA
                              The firm should not reject a complainant's account of events solely on the basis that the complainant signed documentation relevant to the purchase of the policy.
                              DISP App 3.3.6
                              01/04/2013
                              FCA
                              The firm should not reject a complaint because the complainant failed to exercise the right to cancel the policy."
                              Also they often state that they assume!!! the information was given at the point of sale or soon after! Meaning the policy document, sent in the post, which we had to check carefully and it makes it our fault that we did not read the policy properly etc.
                              However, that is not what is stated in the FCA Handbook and the relevant FOS documents.
                              In short:
                              1.Guidelines are for both advised and non advised sales, before and after 2005.
                              2.The information has to be given before sale is completed for non advised sales, not post sale relying on the policy document sent later by post as an excuse to avoid responsibility.
                              It has to be done BEFORE sale is completed.
                              3.This requirement is specifically emphasised by the FOS, where it is stated, that it is not enough to remind a customer to read the policy.
                              4. The company should not reject a complaint on the basis that the policy was not cancelled.
                              5. The company should not assume that by signing the document a customer agreed to take the policy.
                              6. There is requirement to draw a customer's attention to the onerous terms of the policy for a NON ADVISED sale BEFORE it is completed.
                              The FOS case study, issue 71/1 is given as an example, where the FOS disagrees that premiums shown on the statements in any way prove that the cover is optional.
                              However since 2008 this business keeps repeating the exact same wording in their template rejection letters, which now I have a collection of.
                              The FOS published case 71/1 in 2008! Santander still writes exactly the same letters, using the same words. The FCA states that the company must learn from the previous cases and findings and not repeat the same misinformation.
                              I quote: "We did not agree with the credit card company that it was clear from the application form that the insurance cover was optional. Nor did we agree that, by signing the form, Mr A had clearly indicated his wish to buy the policy. There was no evidence that he had been told anything about the cover at the time of the sale. And the fact that Mr A's statement showed that the premium was collected monthly did not mean he must have been aware the insurance was optional." (The link:http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u...omplaints.html).
                              A statement from the FCA said: 'We expect all firms to comply with our rules and treat their customers fairly...
                              'Our rules are very clear that firms are expected to learn from previous complaints. So if there are significant numbers of complaints coming in about the same thing, that is a clear warning sign that something isn't right.'
                              I wonder, in what way that company, Santander, have complied with the FCA guidelines and the FOS regulations, in what way those regulations have been applied to the handling of our complaints?
                              Looking at their template rejection letters, it is impossible to believe that Santander PPI complaint department have ever read the regulations.
                              Why does Santander think that the FCA guidelines and regulations, which have been accepted by all other companies, do not apply to them?
                              Why do they repeatedly raise the points which have already been deemed unacceptable by the FCA and the FOS?
                              sorry for such a long post, it is from my heart ))
                              thank you for your support!
                              Vx

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X