• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claiming JSA - my rights????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claiming JSA - my rights????

Would really appreciate a legal point of view with regards to my claim for Jobseekers Allowance. I am currently on the work programme and have recently been diagnosed with a serious illness. Regardless my adviser is expecting me to continue being at their beck and call even if it means missing any hospital appointments for treatment. My question is does Jobcentreplus, DWP or EOSWorks have the authority to do this and also do any of them have the legal right to access my medical records regarding my attendance of appointments as one member of staff has stated that as I should be available for and actively seeking employment 24/7 anything that interferes with this and they can look into it (LOL what about patient confidentiality/Data Protection.....)!!! Thanks in advance for any advice!!!
    Tags: None

Re: Claiming JSA - my rights????

If you have an appointment you should have this in writing give them it or a copy unlikely they have rights to your medical records,
    you have to remember a lot of people lie to the benefits people that's maybe why they ask for some proof of appointments if you are telling the truth there is nothing to fear

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
      If you have an appointment you should have this in writing give them it or a copy unlikely they have rights to your medical records,
      you have to remember a lot of people lie to the benefits people that's maybe why they ask for some proof of appointments if you are telling the truth there is nothing to fear
      I have kept a hold of my previous appointment letters and also have a current one for next week so providing the evidence is not a problem. My concern is that my advisor knowing about the upcoming appointment has deliberately booked me a mandatory appointment to see her, so I either miss one or the other. If I go to the hospital I just wanted to know whether she or any of the above (DWP, etc) can then contact the hospital to check up on me (& at the same gather info re my condition (which as far as I'm concerned is none of their business))!!! Thanks......

Comment

Originally posted by Sparklingcider View Post
        Would really appreciate a legal point of view with regards to my claim for Jobseekers Allowance. I am currently on the work programme and have recently been diagnosed with a serious illness. Regardless my adviser is expecting me to continue being at their beck and call even if it means missing any hospital appointments for treatment. My question is does Jobcentreplus, DWP or EOSWorks have the authority to do this and also do any of them have the legal right to access my medical records regarding my attendance of appointments as one member of staff has stated that as I should be available for and actively seeking employment 24/7 anything that interferes with this and they can look into it (LOL what about patient confidentiality/Data Protection.....)!!! Thanks in advance for any advice!!!
        You should be available for work and actively seeking employment, but not exactly 24/7. Show your adviser the letters you have regarding your hospital appointments. If you have, as you state, a serious illness, you should be able to ask your GP or the doctor who is referring you for treatment, for a sick note, as you would if you were working. If your condition is likely to be long-term, you may be able to apply for ESA instead of JSA.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparklingcider View Post
          I have kept a hold of my previous appointment letters and also have a current one for next week so providing the evidence is not a problem. My concern is that my advisor knowing about the upcoming appointment has deliberately booked me a mandatory appointment to see her, so I either miss one or the other. If I go to the hospital I just wanted to know whether she or any of the above (DWP, etc) can then contact the hospital to check up on me (& at the same gather info re my condition (which as far as I'm concerned is none of their business))!!! Thanks......
          Normally you should be fine just showing them the letters, they would only contact the hospital if they had reason to believe you were not attending the appointments. Bear in mind when you show up for an appointment, you book in with reception, who make an entry to say you have turned up. The reception database is a record of patient's appointments, and all they would be able to supply is info regarding whether you had an appointment on a certain day and whether you booked in for it. Your medical records are separate.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X