• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Please advise 85year old victim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Please advise 85year old victim

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
    It sounds like Social Services have cocked things up for the OP's father by claiming the issues were substantiated. What Social Services may consider to be "substantiated" does not necessarily mean it is substantiated for the purposes of a criminal investigation.

As for the investigating officer's supervisor coming out with the statement they have, it sounds more like they are too lazy to do some work, notwithstanding that CPS have implanted themselves at just about every police station and are known for their practice of rejecting cases even where there is clear evidence of an offence and which is capable of proof. The OP's MP is someone who should be approached and I would be inclined to chase up the possibility of pro bono legal advice and representation and see if the OP's father is eligible.
    My father although 85 is an intellegent man and had compiled everything to prove to himself what had happened before he approached social services for advice and then only because my brother would not communicate with him and he didnt know where to turn, all helplines like the aged etc. put him onto soc services. Soc Services safeguarding team had an indepth meeting with the police to discuss everything before the police took up the case so social services did not do anything except alert police and pass dads own evidlence to them. The soc. services only make there own descision as to what they deem serious enough or 'substanciated' enough to even pass to the police then they step back completely so dont think they cocked up. It was up to the police to define if there was a case and that has not been in question with them only that the evidence is not 'without doubt' enough for them to throw money at a court case they may not win.

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
      While am disgusted that a son would do this I can see many more problems if this went to a court case.

1,Is the father going to stand up in court to give evidence against the son?

2, Can all the evidence be produced are the banks willing to provide it for a case?

3,Has the son any money to be able to repay anything.

4, Does the family and especially the father want to put themselves under the spotlight knowing the son may well make some accusations true or false about other family members. Remember how vindictive some people can be.

5, What pitiful sentence would be handed out if there was a conviction?

I know that my brother got thousands of pounds out of my father to feed his alcohol addiction but my father would never have wanted him in court sad as it may seem blood is not only thicker than water but sometimes
      is more important than money,

I repeat my first line I am disgusted that anyone can do this to their father
      Initially my dad was in emotional turmoil, he loves and trusted his son without question and has felt utterly betrayed by all this. He wanted to find an explanation or for his son to come to him with some sort of excuse for why but nothing... (I felt exactly the same and have been careful to ensure dad makes his own decisions every step of the way).
      We are /were a very close family so this has been a nightmare to even comprehend. However it became more and more evident that my brother has no concern whatsoever for dad and after four months with still no contact from my brother dad came to his own conclusions. With no way of communicating, no relationship and abandoned by his son dad feels his only recourse has been to seek help whatever the outcome.

Comment

Obviously there is a lot more detail that would paint a clearer picture of my family and this whole situation but I cannot begin to go into on here. My father is a good honest loving man who has worked hard all his life and provided for his family. He brought us up with good morales and to stand on our own two feet although he has always been there to offer help and guidance. I have no doubt that had my brother or I or indeed any loved one been in trouble he would be there to help but he is an intellegent man and certainly would not have handed over every penny of his life savings.

Soon after my brother enrolled dad for online banking my father had a mini stroke which was a worrying period for us all but whilst dads active pace of life slowed down he completely recovered and it was around this time that my brother began to syphon off large sums from dads savings accounts which dad always assumed were sitting untouched, this continued until they were completely emptied and he moved on to tapping into dads weekly pension. Sadly with no explanation we have had to conlude that my brother must have believed dad was likely to pass away and decided to take the money while he could...

The saddest thing is my dad is in good health and of very sound mind and having provided himself with some security should be enjoying his small pleasures in life but he has been robbed of his self-esteem, peace of mind & dignity, for the first time in his life this proud man who has always lived within his means is dependant on others. Ironically it seems had dad been less able with some sort of age related confusion his case would have carried more weight. As it is he is of sound mind and trusted his son.

Comment

Originally posted by marleymouse View Post
          It The officer put all evidence to his supervisor who rejected it saying it was dads word against his son who maintained dad just allowed him to take all his money - hard work to prove 'without doubt' element needed for criminal case so end of!
          Frankly, this looks is if someone is trying to massage the crime figures. Make a formal complaint. That at least will ensure that it gets looked at again at a higher level.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X