• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

ATOS Assessment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ATOS Assessment

It's a statement from a doctor that it would have adverse consequences for their patient to be considered 'fit to work' - eg they couldn't possibly work or get any work so they would starve !

It is a useful strategy where either i) there are clear clinical indications that someone is seriously ill or has severe disability they could not possibly work and their sickness benefit should be processed without further messing about; or

ii) where someone is unlikely in practice to be able to work or get work in any reasonable time due to their health / disability circumstances, and is not able bodied enough to be able to comply with the increasingly conditional requirements of JSA, a situation in which the DWP will often either deny eligibility for any benefits at all, leaving the claimant penniless; or make them sign on for JSA and then sanction them, again leaving them penniless.

Destitution makes almost any illness worse, so being made destitute is bad for the sick and disabled !

There are quite a number of sites and campaign groups dealing with disability and welfare benefits and with the problems with Atos assessments. A quick google around the blog waves will find you quite a bit more information, advice and support.

You may yourself be eligible for a carers allowance if you are giving your partner a lot of help.

Comment

There is an article in today's Independent about the problems with mandatory re-consideration of ESA appeals.

Comment

if this was to automatically accepted by ATOS and the DWP why the need for assessments?

Comment

Originally posted by SpringerSpaniel View Post
          It's a statement from a doctor that it would have adverse consequences for their patient to be considered 'fit to work' - eg they couldn't possibly work or get any work so they would starve !

It is a useful strategy where either i) there are clear clinical indications that someone is seriously ill or has severe disability they could not possibly work and their sickness benefit should be processed without further messing about; or

ii) where someone is unlikely in practice to be able to work or get work in any reasonable time due to their health / disability circumstances, and is not able bodied enough to be able to comply with the increasingly conditional requirements of JSA, a situation in which the DWP will often either deny eligibility for any benefits at all, leaving the claimant penniless; or make them sign on for JSA and then sanction them, again leaving them penniless.

Destitution makes almost any illness worse, so being made destitute is bad for the sick and disabled !

There are quite a number of sites and campaign groups dealing with disability and welfare benefits and with the problems with Atos assessments. A quick google around the blog waves will find you quite a bit more information, advice and support.

You may yourself be eligible for a carers allowance if you are giving your partner a lot of help.
          At a magnificent £75 odd per week as long as you are "caring" for more than 35 hours a week ( ie circa £2 ph max - decreasing to a few pence per hour if you are "caring" 24/7/52). Sorted.

Comment

Where did you get 75 quid from ?its around 60 I know I get it

Comment

Not worth arguing about such princely sums is it Wales? I'll check it out though (75 wasn't exact, but I think it is more than the niggardly 60 you quote - LOL LOL LOL ) x

Comment

It is taxable - so maybe you just earn too much....

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                  if this was to automatically accepted by ATOS and the DWP why the need for assessments?
                  The whole idea was to get about 87% of claimants off Incapacity Benefit, because "Lord" David Fraud decided that only 13% - if that - were genuinely ill.

Comment

im retired on a very small private pension save an argument its at the moment £59.75 per week according to my bank statement

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                      At a magnificent £75 (or £60) odd per week as long as you are "caring" for more than 35 hours a week ( ie circa £2 ph max - decreasing to a few pence per hour if you are "caring" 24/7/52). Sorted.
                      What is the minimum wage these days?

Comment

It was a joke Wales (albeit a black one) Sorry if it appeared otherwise x

Comment

Cloggy we all know the benefits bill is to high .when my wife went for her atos assessment there were 3 young lads under 25 who looked as if there was nothing wrong with them? maybe that's why ATOS are on the cae.
                          By the way I in no way support ATOS I think doctors and surgeons and medical history should be used to assess disability not a 20 minute interview

Comment

For an adult it's possibly reached the dizzy heights of over £7ph ...(again not exact):tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Comment

Apology accepted

Comment

What is the maximum wage these days? (Overbloated salary + bonus+ "expenses" + +) Just as a comparison.:mmph:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X