• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Guidance needed following long term absence from work due to stress/anxiety

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guidance needed following long term absence from work due to stress/anxiety

I am hoping someone can give me some advice about a situation I find myself in.

I have worked for my employer for 5 years with no capability issues raised. The department I work in has been in a state of flux for several years - understaffed, several changes in senior management and changes in the management team. Within the wider team I supervised two staff. Both were internal recruits as we were not allowed to recruit from outside the organisation; neither with the desired backgrounds and hence both had capability issues which I had to manage. The team had a very heavy workload which I tried to manage whilst dealing with the capability issues, which were recognised by many. One employee put a grievance against me when I tried to implement to the organisation's capability process to help support them in their role.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I have just returned to work after 6 months off, due to low mood/anxiety. I just could not cope in my role - too much work, two employees who weren't performing and lack of management support for me. I have no doubt that my role made me ill. I asked for help, but didn't get it and the poor performers were just not tackled.

The department has been restructured and I have been deployed into a lower grade role, although my pay has been protected.

I have returned to work. On my first day I was put on a capability action plan and told that I have not been positive enough in my role and am not a team worker. However, I was told, I am competent in delivering all the other elements of my job and getting things done.

There have been other things that have happened, but I don't want to go into detail here.

My question is, can my employer put me on a plan when nothing has been discussed before? His comments are based on a period when I was clearly unwell. I would also be interested to know if I should have had a proper return to work meeting which was more supportive. I have basically been told to 'accept the plan' and 'get on with it' and forget about the past.

I do not want to be on any form of plan. I am 50; I have had an exemplary employment record to date (and have worked successfully in several organisations) and want to protect this.

Thank you for reading!

Any views/guidance that may help me.
    Tags: None

Re: Guidance needed following long term absence from work due to stress/anxiety

Originally posted by Tomcat24 View Post
    I am hoping someone can give me some advice about a situation I find myself in.

I have worked for my employer for 5 years with no capability issues raised. The department I work in has been in a state of flux for several years - understaffed, several changes in senior management and changes in the management team. Within the wider team I supervised two staff. Both were internal recruits as we were not allowed to recruit from outside the organisation; neither with the desired backgrounds and hence both had capability issues which I had to manage. The team had a very heavy workload which I tried to manage whilst dealing with the capability issues, which were recognised by many. One employee put a grievance against me when I tried to implement to the organisation's capability process to help support them in their role.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I have just returned to work after 6 months off, due to low mood/anxiety. I just could not cope in my role - too much work, two employees who weren't performing and lack of management support for me. I have no doubt that my role made me ill. I asked for help, but didn't get it and the poor performers were just not tackled.

The department has been restructured and I have been deployed into a lower grade role, although my pay has been protected.

I have returned to work. On my first day I was put on a capability action plan and told that I have not been positive enough in my role and am not a team worker. However, I was told, I am competent in delivering all the other elements of my job and getting things done.

There have been other things that have happened, but I don't want to go into detail here.

My question is, can my employer put me on a plan when nothing has been discussed before? His comments are based on a period when I was clearly unwell. I would also be interested to know if I should have had a proper return to work meeting which was more supportive. I have basically been told to 'accept the plan' and 'get on with it' and forget about the past.

I do not want to be on any form of plan. I am 50; I have had an exemplary employment record to date (and have worked successfully in several organisations) and want to protect this.

Thank you for reading!

Any views/guidance that may help me.
    Hi and welcome to Legal Beagles.

It doesn't sound that your employer has been at all fair to you or complied with their health and safety at work responsibilities to you, have they?

My gut-feeling is that you need to seek advice from a legal professional. If you cannot afford this from what liquid assets you have, but have home contents insurance, check the policy as a number of insurers offer legal expenses cover for employment disputes as a benefit of the policy. Alternatively, you could try the National Pro Bono Centre, which provides free legal advice and representation.

Hope this helps.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X