• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Disciplinary whilst off sick with work related stress long story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disciplinary whilst off sick with work related stress long story

Hi

i've recently resigned from my post. I was honest about my reasons. I'm starting a company in the same sector. I haven't approached any clients formally but have discussed the fact that I'm leaving with them

on resigning all my accesses were revoked and my phone disabled and i was placed in a menial job well below my pay grade. I understood the reasoning and thought I'd keep my head down and get on with it. I retrieved some personal possessions from my desk and went back to the assigned area. I was then accused of stealing a laptop from my old work area and was bag searched. This happened in front of colleagues and was very distressing.

i obtained a doctors note. The doctor was great and very understanding giving me a not for the length of my notice period. I sent this in immediately, saying that i hoped that this was then end of the matter

i have now received a letter calling me in for gross misconduct. I am distraught and don't know what to do next.
    Tags: None

Re: Disciplinary whilst off sick with work related stress long story

Would a decision of Gross Misconduct affect the starting of your new company and on what basis are they claiming misconduct?

What were the results of the bag search, was anything found that you should not have had in your possession?
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

The bag search showed I had nothing to hide. It was all personal property.
      I think from the letter they are trying to claim a breech of code of conduct for trying to poach customers

Comment

Originally posted by Stressed out View Post
        I was then accused of stealing a laptop from my old work area and was bag searched. This happened in front of colleagues and was very distressing.

i obtained a doctors note. The doctor was great and very understanding giving me a not for the length of my notice period. I sent this in immediately, saying that i hoped that this was then end of the matter

i have now received a letter calling me in for gross misconduct. I am distraught and don't know what to do next.
        Is the letter an 'invitation' to a disciplinary?

It get the impression they are trying to sabotage your new business and are looking for any excuse to discredit you, presumably in the absence of any proper legal recourse to stop you from "poaching" their clients. Some employment contracts do have clauses to that effect, what about yours?

I once managed to get a disciplinary postponed by nearly two months using sick notes, eventually it was held in my absence.

If you are starting up on your own, as opposed to joining another employer, a dismissal for gross misconduct may not affect you in the same way. :thumb:

Comment

The bag search showed I had nothing to hide. It was all personal property.
          I think from the letter they are trying to claim a breech of code of conduct for trying to poach customers
          Poaching customers and stealing equipment are hardly the same thing! :mad2: :mad2:

As above, whether it constitutes a breach or not depends on the terms of your contract.

Comment

Have you tried to poach customers or are they completely wrong?

Comment

No, all I've said to customers is that I am leaving. Some asked to be kept informed and to stay in touch. Nothing concrete and nothing in writing.

I looked on the gov.UK website and it advised that for constructive dismissal I should resign with immediate effect as my position is untenable. This is what I've done. Is there any repercussions for doing so?

Comment

No, all I've said to customers is that I am leaving. Some asked to be kept informed and to stay in touch. Nothing concrete and nothing in writing.

I looked on the gov.UK website and it advised that for constructive dismissal I should resign with immediate effect as my position is untenable. This is what I've done. Is there any repercussions for doing so?
                I'm afraid there may be. Are you aware that the success rate of constructive dismissal claims is just 3%? :sad:

I know someone who resigned and submitted such a claim to the ET and got a small settlement plus an agreed reference but that was before you had to pay for ET submissions and not guaranteed to work in every case. The reference may not be as important to you if you intend to work for yourself instead of finding employment.

Comment

Not too worried about reference or even a claim for constructive dismissal. Really concerned that they may try to claim from me. As I say, I'm currently signed off sick but as I've resigned with immediate effect can they claim costs for replacing me?

Thanks for your help

Comment

Any resignation should be worked in accordance with your contract notice period. If your sick note covers this time period I suspect you have nothing to worry about.

How did you word your resignation?
                    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
                      How did you word your resignation?
                      "Take this job and shove it up your jacksi!", perhaps? :rofl:

Comment

the e-mail I sent was to acknowledge receipt of invitation to disciplinary and in light of this and recent events, my position is untenable. I'm signed off with work related stress so wish to terminate with immediate effect. I've not had a reply yet..

I have legal cover with my home insurance and it covers employment law. Time to give them a ring I think

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X