• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

FOS... what's the point?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOS... what's the point?

In May 2012 I made a claim under my Key Insurance for lost keys for my MGB.

Insurance Co. instructed locksmiths who attended.

They spent 2.5 hours trying to take steering lock/ ignition switch apart.

They failed and agreed to replace the item.

Whilst awaiting delivery of the replacement I discovered the locksmiths had, in the course of their exertions, damaged the steering column.

When they delivered the replacement part I refused them access to fit it, as repairs to the column needed to be carried out first.

I subsequently repaired the column and fitted the new lock/ ignition switch

7 months later (Christmas day 2012) the switch failed, and in doing so destroyed the starter motor.

I reported it to the Ins. Co., whose attitude was "tough, you had the part for 6 months"; "take it up with the suppliers" and completely ignored Supply of Goods and Services Act.

Complained to FOS, and now wonder why I bothered.

The person responsible for finding in favour of the Ins Co admitted to me he knew nothing about the workings of any automotive parts, but he did accept that a lock should last longer than 7 months.

However the jewel in his crown was this paragraph from his letter:
    "In my opinion, without any evidence that the lock has failed due to poor workmanship by the locksmiths when they first attended, Ageas cannot be held liable. As you did not allow the locksmiths access to your car to fit the lock, you were not given a warranty and therefore I cannot recommend that Ageas compensate you for the loss"

I have responded by pointing out, among other things,
    1) I did not suggest the lock had failed due to poor workmanship when locksmiths first attended, but that they had damaged the vehicle. The failed lock/switch was not present at that time.
    2)When the lock was delivered I did not allow the locksmiths to fit it as I still had to make good the damage they had caused on their first visit (​and there was no way I was letting them near it again!)
    3)I was not concerned about a warranty, which was probably only available to the original purchaser and is additional to statutory consumer protection
    4) Ageas supplied goods which were not of satisfactory quality, and I referred FOS to the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982, especially Part 1 Supply of Goods Provision 4 Implied Terms about Quality or fitness.

I suppose I now have to wait another 3 months while it is referred up through the system, or should I just go for County Court?

Originally I would have settled for the cost of a new lock/switch and starter motor (about £150)
    but have now escalated the claim to approx £400, to take into account my time repairing the vehicle,cost of experts reports and the time it was not available for use.
    Tags: None

Re: FOS... what's the point?

My view as an auto electrical engineer of over 50 yrs ......a locksmith should not have attempted the job in the first instance.
    It was a job for a person such as myself or a vehicle mechanic with at least basic auto electrical knowledge.
    A locksmith should not interfere with any steering device on any vehicle as it is a safety aspect of the driving and operation of the vehicle

Sparkie

Comment

Thanks Sparkie
      Perhaps I should have said they were automotive locksmiths as well
      Their first aim was to remove the barrel and then cut a new key.
      When they failed they tried to remove the whole lock. They did this in the traditional manner of drilling into the stub of the shear bolts and trying to tap them undone with a drift. These bolts had been in 40 years+ and weren't giving. As access in a MGB is very restricted they lowered the column, and it was at this point I became concerned as obviously, although it gave them more room, the column was now unsupported and there was no resistance to the force being applied. As they still couldn't remove it , and it was late, dark and raining they went away. Few days later they said about fitting a new lock.
      By this time I had repositioned the steering column (having removed lock by cutting keyways into the shear bolts and using a screwdriver!) and found they had broken the collapse mechanism in the column. This needed repairing before fitting the new lock. As there is no repair kit available the recommended repair is weld,(and hope you don't get speared in the event of a crash!)
      When the new lock/switch failed, it was the return spring in the switch which failed to operate, and so the starter motor failed to disengage when the engine fired. Not a good thing !!
      I know that if the connections to the ignition switch are made in the wrong order it is possible for the contacts to burn out, so I took the vehicle to an automotive electrician and have his report confirming all was in order (as I knew it would be) before I approached Ageas.

Although not a qualified mechanic or electrical engineer I have been maintaining and rebuilding cars of this vintage and older for 55 years. Our other car is a 1950 2 litre AC. Anything built after 1980 I ignore!

Comment

Was the new steering lock & Switch a genuine Rover part or a spurious manufacture,?

Sparkie

Comment

FAR EAST! Supplied by Moss.
          I think all MGB parts come from that part of the world now

Comment

[QUOTE=des8;404709]FAR EAST! Supplied by Moss.
            I think all MGB parts come from that part of the world now[/QUO OTE]

Makes sense to me......when a supplier maufacture first supplies samples to a manufaturer and meet the maufacturers specs spot on.....once they have the seal of acceptance ...........the exact specs go out of the window .........That is a fact.

Sparkie

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X