• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

JSA question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JSA question

I hope this is the right place to post this. I have been on job-seeker allowance for about 2 years.

At the end of 2013 my JSA claim was closed and I am in a process of appealing this decision, but due to the fact that I nearly depleted whatever savings I have left I am about to borrow money from a friend to keep me going until I sort myself out (I know I can go through the JSA rapid-reclaim procedure, but for reasons I won't bother you with I don't want to do that). She was kind enough and agreed to do that on a monthly basis until my appeal goes through.

The amount I'd like to borrow isn't big (it is comparable to the JSA I was getting) though what I'd like to know is: if my appeal is successful and my claim is restored/reopened (as I think will be the case) should I let DWP know about this arrangement (what happens if I don't?) and is this going to affect the JSA benefit claim and if so, am I going to get less JSA because I borrowed the money from somebody to keep me going? Many thanks.
    Tags: jsa

Re: JSA question

No you don't need to let them know unless they ask. It shouldn't effect your jsa when you get it because you had to support yourself somehow and if they do ask just say you borrowed money from a friend. Can you apply for hardship until they make a decision? It's a reduced rate jsa not much but something.

Can i ask why it ended?

Comment

Thanks Froot. I am not sure I can claim hardship, because my claim has been closed, not suspended. As for the reason - "missing" an appointment to which I was never invited.

That brings me to my next question: if my appeal is successful am I right to assume that:

a) my claim will be reopened and restored to the state it was previously;
      b) all money I am owed in JSA payments from the date of closure to the date on which my case is restored will be paid to me, regardless of the fact that I haven't attended any (fortnight) appointments at the job centre during that time - obviously, since the claim was closed during that time;

If b) above is correct am I going to be asked to produce evidence that I have complied with the JSA agreement during that time (doing job searches etc)?

Another question: Can I claim compensation from DWP for preventing me from using certain "benefits" during that time? I had to, for example, pay for my own prescriptions - something I would have been entitled to for free if they haven't decided to close my claim?

Comment

IF your claim is closed and not suspended that they shouldn't expect you to do job searches etc normally what happens if you don't attend an interview or do what they have asked they just suspend your claim and then start paying you normally after the time. And if they suspend your claim you still have to attend fornightly sign ons. I've only ever heard of a claim being completely closed when people start work.

They might backdate your payments but they're very tight like that if the claim is completely closed they won't backdate you just start paying your regular amounts fortnightly.

I'm sure you can claim compensation from DWP if you can prove they're in the wrong and keep what you had to pay out.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X