• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Chased by DCA for o/s debt that includes loads of PPI charges on old storecard ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chased by DCA for o/s debt that includes loads of PPI charges on old storecard ...

Hello.

A double-edged one here. Christmas Eve 2003, i was sold a Debenhams storecard (GE Cap.) to pay for a £40 pair of shoes. At the time, i hadn't realised it was a credit card, but thought it was a loyalty card. (Yes, i was young, stupid, and had had a couple of jars, being Christmas.) Long story cut short, i paid by D/debit around £18 a month between 2004 and 2008, without noticing (I've taken enough flack and paid enough money for this oversight so please spare me any hard words here). At that point, i moved abroad, cancelled the D/D feeling that i had paid quite enough for a 40 quid pair of shoes, and forgot about it.

Since coming back, one DCA after another has written to me, been ignored, and sold the debt on to the next with no reply from me. Now it's with Aktiv Kap who have been diligent enough to report it to the credit agencies. They say i still owe £450 odd.

I recently sent a "prove it" letter to them, and they've now sent the agreement and statement. Incredible to see that the retail interest charged every month was around £9 and a "product for payment protection plans" of just under £7 per month for the entire period. For 4 years, i paid around £18 monthly by D/D .

I'd like a line drawn under this. It's six months until it's statute barred, but the charges applied and which make up this outstanding debt look exorbitant to me. The PP alone plus interest probably exceeds the debt.

Not sure how best to proceed. Any ideas?

Many thanks for your time and insights.
    Rob
    Tags: None

Re: Chased by DCA for o/s debt that includes loads of PPI charges on old storecard ..

If this was originally a storecard turned credit card without a new agreement, then it's highly unlikely they'd take you to court. Although the case mentioned here didn't set legal precedent as such, the claimants were saddled with a huge legal co$t$ bill when they LOST: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17670803 :grin: :grin: :grin:

The defendant in this case is also a fellow Beagle. :beagle:

Could you scan or take a picture of the agreement they've sent you, remove your personal details and post it up here? :typing:

Comment

Re: Chased by DCA for o/s debt that includes loads of PPI charges on old storecard ..

Hi, thanks so much for your reply. I don't have a scanner so it would take a bit of time for me to sort that.
      However, the store card, as far as i know, was never superceded by a credit card. I never bought anything else on the storecard either. There is a clause on the agreement above my signature which states "Yes, i would like to protect my Account with Account Cover etc. Please debit my Acount with the relevant monthly premium until further notice". It appears that i had no choice.

I suppose the question is, do i take this up with Aktiv Kp who now own the debt, or with Debenhams who mis-sold the ppi? Or leave it be until statute barred?

Comment

Originally posted by iolanthe View Post
        Hi, thanks so much for your reply. I don't have a scanner so it would take a bit of time for me to sort that.
        However, the store card, as far as i know, was never superceded by a credit card. I never bought anything else on the storecard either. There is a clause on the agreement above my signature which states "Yes, i would like to protect my Account with Account Cover etc. Please debit my Acount with the relevant monthly premium until further notice". It appears that i had no choice.

I suppose the question is, do i take this up with Aktiv Kp who now own the debt, or with Debenhams who mis-sold the ppi? Or leave it be until statute barred?
        The PPI has to be taken up with Debenhams who mis-sold it, not Aktiv. Do your calculations before you make a decision, if you think you may be quids in, then it may be worth reclaiming. Take a look at this thread: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...I-Calculations

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X