• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

received a letter from a company called lowells for a debt from 2007

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• received a letter from a company called lowells for a debt from 2007

Hi I received a letter from a company called lowells it was a statement from a debt from hfc from 2007
    I have no idea what it is for I checked hfc and the debt is quite old and the last payment on it was from march 3 2008 .
    I do not know what this company can do , can they take me to court and get a ccj should I contact them about this unknown debt
    Tags: None

Re: received a letter from a company called lowells for a debt from 2007

The debt becomes statute barred after 6 years in England if there has not been a written acknowledgement of the debt since the cause of action, which may be later than the last payment of March 3 2008 .
    Not sure what's best here, they may be going for starting a court claim before it becomes statute barred. Once the debt becomes statute barred they cannot get a CCJ.
    Do not contact Lowell's by telephone, if you must contact them do it in writing and keep a copy.

Comment

Re: received a letter from a company called lowells for a debt from 2007

Originally posted by abp32 View Post
      Hi I received a letter from a company called lowells it was a statement from a debt from hfc from 2007
      I have no idea what it is for I checked hfc and the debt is quite old and the last payment on it was from march 3 2008 .
      I do not know what this company can do , can they take me to court and get a ccj should I contact them about this unknown debt
      When it comes to Lowell, then it's best not to ignore them. If you have no idea what this debt is, you could send them a prove it letter:

Dear Sirs

Account No: XXXXXXXX

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself. I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to CREDITOR NAME. I am familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading's Guidance on debt collection, which states that it is unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question. I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable and in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive and unfair methods. Furthermore ignoring and disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical & psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question and await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office Of Fair Trading of your actions.

Yours faithfully,

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X