• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Former Employer reporting accident to HSE Riddor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Employer reporting accident to HSE Riddor

A long time ago , 1983 , but only finding new information out now and suffering from illness after 1983 accident until now. It seems that my accident at work was not reported properly. Should I now write to HSE Riddor and send them information I have regarding this accident ? After this accident a charge hand arranged for a work colleague to take me to the hospital , I was kept in and ended up leaving my job through injuries. Never heard anything about accident at time or Tribunal etc. Recently tried to obtain work records via FOI request ito my former employers e accident book etc etc but was told they did not hold this information after so long. I wrote to HSE for any info but they could not help. Is it best to report this accident to HSE Riddor , even so late ? , regards , John
    Tags: None

Re: Former Employer reporting accident to HSE Riddor

Can I ask you why you are asking for the information that is over 30 years ago?
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Because it is important to me. It is possible to go back such time regarding Accidents at work if you suffer certain illnesses and/or get new information. Please do not reply to my posts if you cannot think of anything constructive to say

Comment

Jon444, the reason I have asked is that it is highly unlikely that a record exists of that if it did that those records may have already been destroyed since usually the timeframe should be 6 years or statute of limitations. In point of fact I went back in time to 2004 to guidelines issues by reading which stated 5 years.(link to 2004: http://www.reading.ac.uk/web/FILES/h...H_SRecords.pdf )

John, your medical records are kept forever including written records and so if you went to hospital then medical records would exist but as to what the law stated in 1983 in regards to Health and Safety, if we take a slightly later copy which stated 5 years then the likelihood that records may not exist anymore.

Please remember as well, not to bite at a hand that might be attempting to help otherwise perhaps others might not want to ask/give advice to you either. Just a polite rebuke for words on a page.

Comment

That's much better lol. Of course my former employers may well have destroyed these records but sometimes it has been difficult to obtain information more recent from them , I have copies of information they still have regarding my employment which I received from another agency , so when they say they have no information regarding my employment whatsoever , then less than 2 years ago they sent documentation regarding my employment in 1983 to this other agency , which I obtained via FOI. What is important is that it seems that a serious work accident was not reported should have been. Of course I have hospital and/doctors evidence. Please take note and be aware that some posters may have or had not just physical but psychological issues that prevent/ed action at certain times , instead of jumping in like you did

Comment

John444, I asked the question why now simply because of the time lapse(and I am bloody nosey ). As I said, words on a page but you have now got me quite interested in this since you have evidence that they do have information which they have passed on. If they have stated under the Data Protection Act that they do not have the information and you have evidence to the contrary then write I might be minded to make a complaint or seek advice from the Information Commisssioner's Office: http://ico.org.uk/complaints

Comment

Thanks , I don't have copies of FOI requests now but suppose I could send again ,particularly as I have some new info. The documentation I have is showing information to another agency regarding my employ and maybe more. Not got to hand but I think it shows info they gave about my employ in 1983 , to this other agency in the 90s and 00s. The IC gave the usual Data Protection act thing last year but I did not have this new info then. I think I'll be getting back to him on this , thanks for quick link

Comment

Who or what is the other agency?

Comment

Why do you ask which other agency ?

Comment

I asked which "other agency" was involved because I wanted to know!

I don't know who, other than the HSE, would be at all interested. The company's insurers would want to be informed at the time, but not ten or twenty years afterwards.

Comment

Depends if the Company's insurers were told at the time. If new information comes about at a later date and the Company did not follow proper Legal procedures then it is as relevant today as it was then , if Laws are found to have been broken and subsequently said Company denies now having any details of certain dates/documents and I can prove otherwise that they do hold information. Understand that this is ot about YOU , and I have to be careful with certain things

Comment

Originally posted by John4444 View Post
                        Understand that this is not about YOU ,
                        I never supposed it was!

and I have to be careful with certain things
                        Also understood.

Comment

If it is a relevant injury or condition, you may be able to claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, if you are more than 14% disabled in total by long term effects of the injury / condition. I am not aware of any time limit for claiming this.

Comment

When I worked at the Council, it was quite usual to receive requests for information up to 50 years old in regard to asbestos exposure. We always supplied whatever we still held; which was often not a lot.
                            "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Certainly is relevant. I only became aware of IIDB/REA a very long time after accident and the gaining of new information and info I should have received , also I have only been supplied with a Tribunal decision that is incorrect regarding injuries. Maybe if I have only recently been supplied with this incorrect Tribunal report (foi) I could challenge for a new Tribunal as it has a compltely different injury on it. I am aware also of the appaling decisions regarding backdating claims to only 3 months.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X