• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employers won't give a Written Statement of Employment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employers won't give a Written Statement of Employment

Hi everyone. Hoping someone can give me guidance on this, as I'm not quite sure what to do.

I started a new part-time job at the end of October '13 and have not been given a proper work contract. I asked my employers for a Written Statement of Employment and was told that because I am just a "casual worker" that I'm not entitled to one (I'm not a casual worker in any sense and even have an email from them saying they are hiring me for a permanent part-time position). I have verbally asked them and also put it in an email with a link to the .gov website which explains everything, but to no avail.

They are notoriously sketchy about putting ANYTHING in writing, lest they be held accountable in any way. There's an employee there currently who's been there 2 years and they still do not have a contract or WSE.

I know they're breaking the law. What can I do?

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give me.

Re: Employers won't give a Written Statement of Employment

Just to really rattle the employers cage ask about holiday pay and how much time.

Just been through this for the sister in law. She has a part time job and she was told she was not entitled to holiday pay because she had not been in that employment for a year. Some of the other employees had been there for 5 years and never had paid holidays. All sorted now.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
      Just to really rattle the employers cage ask about holiday pay and how much time.

Just been through this for the sister in law. She has a part time job and she was told she was not entitled to holiday pay because she had not been in that employment for a year. Some of the other employees had been there for 5 years and never had paid holidays. All sorted now.
      How was it sorted, may I ask?

Comment

Hi little_rabbit,

Generally, if you are an employee, your employer must provide you with a statement of employment particulars within 2 months of commencing work.

To check your employment status, see https://www.gov.uk/employment-status/employee

& for rules re employment particulars, see https://www.gov.uk/employment-contra...nt-particulars
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by little_rabbit View Post
          How was it sorted, may I ask?
          Holiday pay calculated as per regs and paid. Concept of a holiday year being introduced to keep track. All employees now being paid holiday pay for the required number of days.

Comment

Here's an update...

My employer refused yet again to give me one after I emailed (again) requesting one the other day, so I consulted ACAS and they told me I have more than enough to make a claim in an Employment Tribunal (along with one or two other things that they are doing that are illegal), as it is a complete breach of my Statutory Right to be given one.

Really confused as to what to do now, as I have approached my employers with this matter three times now and have been rejected (both in writing and also verbally) each time. Is it even worth it taking it to an ET or do I just quit?

Comment

Find the relevant sections of the regulations on the net, print them off and give them to your employer

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
                Find the relevant sections of the regulations on the net, print them off and give them to your employer

Yep, I've done that - twice. They still refuse.

Comment

Originally posted by little_rabbit View Post
                  My employer refused yet again to give me one
                  msl:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X