• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cause of Action Discussion

Collapse
This thread is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cause of Action Discussion

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
    Well I don't think I have ever seen an HP agreement , I wonder if you could post it or a link to it. Never let it be said I will not look at all evidence
    I have hundreds. Usually involving dispute re voluntary termination clauses.

Comment

Originally posted by andy58 View Post
      BMW finance are the owner and the creditor they will remain the owner until the last payment and the transfer fee is paid it is how hire purchase has worked since before the HP act 1964.

The goods are on hire until they are purchased hence "hire purchase"(I cannot believe I am having to explain this).
      EDITED ..... The car is leased/rented until all of the payments are completed, so when a payment is missed this is not the COA because the whole outstanding sum is not owed at this point. It's only when the contract is terminated that all future payments become owed.

If you took out an unsecured loan to buy the car the whole outstanding some is owed as soon as you buy the car and when you break that agreement by not making a payment that is the COA.

EDITED.....
      Last edited by Amethyst; 6th January 2014, 22:11:PM. Reason: removed insults

Comment

charharp, you really do need to tone down the way you talk to people, it isn't very constructive, or condusive to getting your point across effectively. I'm going to go through and moderate the latest spate of insulting posts, if I do have to do it again, then you may be put on moderation so your posts can be checked before going live, which obviously stunts conversation somewhat, it's a pity and not something I do often, so please try and have the discussion in a slightly less aggressive manner....of course, this does go for anyone else hurling insults about the place too. Ta muchly xx
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by charharp View Post
          That's what I said in the first place EDIT. You can't get your head around the mechanism of hire purchase. The car is leased/rented until all of the payments are completed, so when a payment is missed this is not the COA because the whole outstanding sum is not owed at this point. It's only when the contract is terminated that all future payments become owed.

If you took out an unsecured loan to buy the car the whole outstanding some is owed as soon as you buy the car and when you break that agreement by not making a payment that is the COA.

EDIT....
          I dealt in hire purchase professionally for some years.

The loan is secured on the vehicle it is for all purposes a fixed sum loan in fact if it would have been under 25k it would have been a regulated agreement and treated exactly the same way as a fixed sum loan.

The total credit is sent to the supplier, exactly the same way as a CDS restricted use loan under section 11 of the cca, the goods remain the property of the creditor until the repayments/hire charges are payed, at the end of the term a one-off payment is given this transfers ownership to the hirer.

The point is that the hirer is repaying a loan for the purchase of the vehicle. It is really very basic stuff.
          Last edited by andy58; 6th January 2014, 22:34:PM. Reason: edited quoted part of post as edited elsewhere too

Comment

No one has seen this as an issue, because it is not relevant, it is a contract for credit nothing more or less.

Comment

Do you understand now can we move on ?

Comment

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

HP is not a loan secured on the car. If this was true Hart would have been the owner which he was not. You are unable to distinguish the differences between a loan secure on the car and HP.

Comment

EDITED.....
                  Actually Charharp you know that is not true. The whole balance on an unsecured loan only becomes due when the contract says it becomes due.
                  Attached is a copy of some terms from a £15K unsecured loan, please note it says that they will demand full by giving notice in writing . Of course the CCA also says they have to default and terminate as well
                  Output.pdf

Sorry for the poor quality it's all I have on my laptop at the mo.

Also if you look at the Halifax CCA you will notice that the early repayment can only be demanded IF documents required by the act are served

I appreciate there is a difference between a regulated and un regulated agreement but if I have read the judgement correctly the same basics apply

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
                    Actually Charharp you know that is not true. The whole balance on an unsecured loan only becomes due when the contract says it becomes due.
                    Attached is a copy of some terms from a £15K unsecured loan, please note it says that they will demand full by giving notice in writing . Of course the CCA also says they have to default and terminate as well
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]10524[/ATTACH]

Sorry for the poor quality it's all I have on my laptop at the mo.

Also if you look at the Halifax CCA you will notice that the early repayment can only be demanded IF documents required by the act are served

I appreciate there is a difference between a regulated and un regulated agreement but if I have read the judgement correctly the same basics apply
                    I said owed not due.

Comment

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

HP is not a loan secured on the car. If this was true Hart would have been the owner which he was not. You are unable to distinguish the differences between a loan secure on the car and HP.
                      Hart was the owner of the equity of the loan he had possession of the car. Is it really necessary for me to do a peter and Paul description of the way that HP works, I knew that we would end up having to explain the stuff virtually everyone else understands to you if you contributed to this thread, it is such a waste of time and energy because half of it you will never understand anyway.

If anyone else does not understand this, I will explain the way HP works, if it is just for you I am not willing, so you are back on ignore I am afraid.

Sorry Amethyst

Comment

Good lord, this thread really puts my day into perspective.
                        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                          Good lord, this thread really puts my day into perspective.
                          Never a dull moment

Comment

I suppose thinking about this it does raise an interesting question.
                            If this were today the agreement would be regulated, as the limit is now gone for none business uses.
                            That means that the agreement would have been for all intents and purposes a fixed sum loan agreement as prescribed under section 9(3) of the act.
                            The default and termination requirements would have been those laid down in section 87 etc. So how would the fact that this is a HP agreement be different to a fixed sum loan, in short it wouldn't.

More interestingly would the same scenario regarding the COA occur ?

Comment

Thanks Andy. I think a new thread spelling out (for me as much as anyone else as I appear to have confused myself this evening reading this thread !) the difference between HP, Secured Loan, Car Finance?? and Unsecured Loan, with regards to purchasing and ownership of a vehicle would be really useful.

On the COA issue, I still consider it to be the date of the last acknowledgment of the debt (until I'm convinced otherwise of course)
                              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

As if Andy Einstein could help with explaining the difference between the different types of finance. No loan is made to the customer on HP.

amethyst that is true and I think this argument is moot anyway because I don't think a DCA would pursue court action 6 years after last payment no matter what the type of contract if you send them SB letter. Having paid 10-20% for the debt in the first place is it really worth them wasting time pursuing it on the off chance some irregularity may work in their favour. They could end up having to pay more in costs than they paid for the debt. Unless it's a very large debt they will just write it off as SB without much of a fight if it has been 6 years.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X