• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PLEASE Help DWP overpayment Drydensfairfax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLEASE Help DWP overpayment Drydensfairfax

Hello,
    Im new to this site, but hoping for some advice urgently...I'm at the end of my tether and feel like throwing in the towel, I don't know where or who to turn to....

I suffer Mental Health issues, Agrophobia,Emetophobia,Anxiety and Panic Attacks. In 2011 I came back home to live with my 80yr old Dad and my severely disabled brother (64). The arrangement suits us all, as I look after them both and am my brothers full time carer. I claimed ESA and was told DWP were going to take £10 per week from my Benefit, from a previous Overpayment from last time I'd claimed in 2002. I didn't understand this, and had neither the strength to dispute or fight this, so it went ahead, then I received ATOS letter for assessment for Benefit. I eventually got a home assessment and it was decided I didn't have enough points to put me in the Support Group, and I would have to attend the Job Centre and interviews etc.

I informed the DWP that because of my illness and caring for my disabled brother 24/7 I would not be available for work (im55) so therefore it would be fraud if I signed for benefit when I can't even go out my front door. no option, no Benefit, no money...I live on the kindness of my Dad who's a pensioner, and I do everything in the home for them both, they're so kind to me.

I have received phone calls and a letter from a company called Drydensfairfax Solicitors, saying I have to pay the outstanding amount of the overpayment in full - £5625. I'm so terrified as I don't have a penny of my own, I can't claim Carers Allowance, as the DLA say my brother is entitled to only the lower rate care component, even though I am awake all night in case he has a seizure in bed. I have to give him his meds as he has limited brain function, I have to cope with Behavioural Isssues with him, and I could cry...I'm on Diazepam and Sleeping tablets and so depressed about my situation.
    Can anyone give me advice on what to do?
    I can't pay this money back they say I owe, will they send in bailiffs to my Dads home? I'm so scared, please anyone, I thank you in advance
    Last edited by enaid; 5th January 2014, 05:05:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: PLEASE Help DWP overpayment Drydensfairfax

Hi and you seem to be in a very sorry situation and it is obvious you need some help looking after your father and brother as you are obviously ill yourself.

You do not say what the £5625 overpayment was for just that it was a claim from 2002, just to let you know any over payment they can and will take from any future benefits you claim as they have tried to do by taking £10 per week from you. As you are not in receipt of benefits they have passed it on to a DCA to reclaim the overpayment.

The first thing you need to do is find out if the £5625 is correct and how you come to owe it.

Comment

Hi,
      Firstly you are not alone ,,DWP are going back over 20 years and pinging letters out left,right and centre.
      Have you received a letter from DWP..(not DrydenFairfax,,DWP itself) about this 'overpayment'?
      If so,,it will tell you how to dispute the claim of overpayment
      If not,,ring DWP NOT the DCA..first thing on Monday and ask for a dispute form to be sent to you,,on that form it will tell you how and why they have come up with this figure.Also ask them to mark your files as 'In Dispute' and that SHOULD stop all the DCA letters until it is resolved.
      I agree with Enaid 100%,,you seem (at first glance) to be swamped by caring for your Dad and brother and need some help.
      If sleeping tablets and Diazepam aren't helping you sleep you urgently need to see your Dr as they are both very strong and should be used with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Lolacat View Post
        I'm on Diazepam and Sleeping tablets
        !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yet you're still alive?

This is serious, as that combination of pills could be quite dangerous - any benzodiazepine may be potentiated (made stronger in its effect) when taken by someone who also takes sleeping pills. Diazepam takes at least 20 hours to be eliminated from the body (it may take up to 100 hours) and it's not really much help in treating your symptoms as it may itself cause clinical depression. Worst of all, the stuff is highly addictive.

You may have to change your GP to one who has not yet signed up to the coalition's unofficial T4 programme, as a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor would probably be safer. Don't accept Seroxat (link) though, as the filthy stuff has been reported (link) to cause sleep disturbance and also to reduce one's natural inhibitions so that one might, for example, start shoplifting!

And, no, Drydens won't send in any bailiffs.

Comment

First thing to do is stop worrying you have enough problems more important than money you may or may not owe.

Don't have any dealings with Drydens only contact and deal with the revenue they are the ones who have to prove the debt.

Get help with your problems which appear to be ignored by the GP who just gives out drugs without too much thought.

If you haven't already got some help with the family its out there and you and your family have a right to it.

Lastly all the help you need to sort out HMRC can come from others on here don't be afraid to ask.

Comment

Carers UK http://www.carersuk.org/

Just a foot note the debt is probably statute barred so no court action can be taken against you if this is the case.
            The DWP will though take the money if proven to be owed from any future benefits and even state pension, if you do owe this much better if you can to deal with the DWP and set up a payment plan if possible to avoid this.
            All depending of course if you do indeed owe it in the first place.

Comment

The debt may be SB but can HMRC recover the debt from any benefits paid now or later the OP needs to somehow get the debt cancelled by HMRC maybe their MP can help

Comment

Benefit Overpayments & Social Fund Loans

The Department of Work & Pensions (DWP) has 6 years to take action through the courts to recover benefit overpayments and social fund loans. This time starts running from the date of the final decision made on the overpayment and from when the social fund loan was due to be paid. But the DWP are still allowed to make deductions from your benefit for a debt over 6 years old as they don’t need to go to court to do this. This applies to overpayments of benefits such as income support, job seekers allowance, pension credit, housing benefit, council tax benefit and paying back social fund loans.

Comment

The Government giveth and the Government taketh away ... blessed be the name of the Government.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X