• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Statute Barred? I'm confused

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Statute Barred? I'm confused

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
    Red Debt Collection is just another department - or the next desk along - at Bowells.

Another of their "brands" is Hamptons Legal, which proves that they are unfamiliar with rhyming slang. (link) :rofl:
    what do you suggest I do? x

Comment

File it away safely, but no reply is really needed.

Or you could tell them the alleged debt is time barred by section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980 (link) and that, if they'd bothered to get the history of the account from the original creditor, they'd have known it was a dud.
      Or you could ensure they are acquainted with the celebrated retort in the matter of Arkell v Pressdram. (link) msl:

Comment

File it away safely, but no reply is really needed.

Or you could tell them the alleged debt is time barred by section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980 (lik) and that, if they'd bothered to get the history of the account from the original creditor, they'd have known it was a dud.
        Or you could ensure they are acquainted with the celebrated retort in the matter of Arkell v Pressdram. (link) msl:
        Should I send one of those template letters for statute barred do you think? I really don't wanna get up one morning and find a letter on my mat telling me they are taking us to court?

Please tell me what's best to do in your opinion and how I should go about it x

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Temple View Post
          Should I send one of those template letters for statute barred do you think? I really don't wanna get up one morning and find a letter on my mat telling me they are taking us to court?
          If they were to try to sue, the fact that the alleged debt is time-barred will be an absolute defence - and they will lose.

Please tell me what's best to do in your opinion and how I should go about it x
          I regret that I am neither qualified nor insured to give such opinions.

Comment

I regret that I am neither qualified nor insured to give such opinions.
            Neither am I . however if it were me I think I would send something simple such as was suggested in an early post. You could leave it but the letters you are getting seem to be causing you stress (which is what they are designed to do) so throwing it back at them is probably nest. Short and simple, no need for long letters .

They may well come back by saying there was a payment of £5 or something in late 2008 at which point you ask them to prove it (keeping the fact you were abroad up your sleve)

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
              Neither am I . however if it were me I think I would send something simple such as was suggested in an early post. You could leave it but the letters you are getting seem to be causing you stress (which is what they are designed to do) so throwing it back at them is probably nest. Short and simple, no need for long letters .

They may well come back by saying there was a payment of £5 or something in late 2008 at which point you ask them to prove it (keeping the fact you were abroad up your sleve)
              Thank you for your advise, it's much appreciated, I shall write a short letter to them over the weekend saying its statute barred/time served and take it from there, we know there has been no payments on this what so ever so it could be interesting to see what they come back with lol x

Comment

Are either of you guys able to give me some tips on how I should word the letter I should send? x

Comment

Send the template Statute Barred letter. It contains all the relevant points

Comment

Originally posted by ODC View Post
                    Send the template Statute Barred letter. It contains all the relevant points
                    Can I find that on this forum please ? x

Comment

Can I find that on this forum please ? x
                      Yes, of course you can! :rofl:

Here (link) and here (link)

Comment

Ok, statute barred letter printed out, my husband hasn't signed it I just printed his name at the bottom of the letter via the iPad, I will be posting this off today by recorded delivery,,, have I done the correct thing with him not signing and recorded delivery?
                        Do I just sit and wait to see what their reply will be?
                        Do I take it that if I don't hear from them within 2 weeks they will not be persuing it any further?

Thanks again guys you have been really helpful so far x
                        Last edited by Shirley Temple; 24th January 2014, 10:24:AM.

Comment

Yes. Its has been alleged that certain DCAs have cut and pasted signatures. Recorded delivery at least gives you some proof the scum receive your letter

Comment

Do I take it that if I don't hear from them within 2 weeks they will not be pursuing it any further?
                            Not necessarily - the company is a lot of Bowells, after all.

There is, however, no way that they could hope to enforce a time-barred debt unless they can prove that a written and signed acknowledgement was made during the limitation period, or that a payment was made in that period by you, your husband or someone acting as the agent of either of you.

As an alternative to the usual letters, you might consider this:
                            ================================================== ==================================================
                            Without prejudice save for the judge's amusement.

Your reference: whatever

Dear Sirs,

Thank you very much for the letters you have sent me; not only did they make interesting and amusing material, I found that they were admirably suited for a secondary purpose. Cut or torn in half, the letters were more than adequately large. The paper was thick enough to resist tearing yet sufficiently flexible not to cause chafing; better still, the ink did not come off in use. ​I may never be quite happy with Andrex ever again.

However, I recently suffered a severe attack of diarrhoea which resulted in my supply of your letters becoming rather depleted.

Please send me some more letters, as soon as possible.

Yours Faithfully,

Clever Clogs

Comment

Just a follow up guys,
                              I got a letter from them this morning saying that due to section bla bla bla they will not be pursuing my husband for any more monies and that the account is now closed and the balance is £0.00,

So thanks to all who offered help and advice, I can now sleep a little better,

once again thanks x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X