• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HP agreement dispute out of control and now gone to court. Any help or advise please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP agreement dispute out of control and now gone to court. Any help or advise please.

This is a bit unusual so I will keep this simple (ish)
    I need advise, but so far national debt line are stumped.

1. I take out HP on a motorcycle.12-8-2010.
    2. On receiving a statement and I realise that I have actually been charged 20% more than the RRP of the bike agreed with the salesman during my telephone conversations prior to purchasing the bike. This is shown as VAT on top of the RRP, which already included VAT.
    3. November 2011, I contact Blackhorse by telephone and letter asking them to rectify the overpayment by contacting the dealer and the factory who I was sure would confirm the correct price. As this was a franchised dealer, not an independent. I also tell Blackhorse in the letter that I will not be making any payments until the correct new payment amount is calculated, then I would start to pay the correct payment amounts. I also advise Blackhorse that the bike will be temporarily put into storage.
    4. May 2012 Blackhorse send a long winded letter, basically saying that I signed for that amount and that they would do nothing and told me that I either had to pay in full or they would collect the bike.
    5. I wrote again asking them to reconsider. They wrote back in July 2012 saying no, their decision stands.
    6. I check with the factory Triumph, who by the frame number confirm that I have in fact over paid by 20%.
    4. Bad news. The franchised dealer who sold me the bike have gone into liquidation.
    5. Good news. The manager still works there for the new firm and confirms a mistake must have been made by his salesman. But that salesman no longer works with him.
    6. Bad News. I contact the insolvency practitioners who tell me that the insolvency is settled and there is no money in the pot.
    7. Bad News. I contact Blackhorse who refuse to accept the overpayment. (I would point out that when I signed the agreement I had stupidly done so without reading glasses and just trusted the salesman).
    10. Credit Style ltd contact me and tell me that Blackhorse have asked them to mediate, I tell Credit Style that I would like to offer to pay the full balance, less the overpayment of VAT. The mediator, tells me that is a good offer and that he has no doubt that Blackhorse will accept.
    11. Bad News. Blackhorse say 'no', because they want the full amount. Also telling me on no uncertain terms that they own the bike.
    12. I tell them to collect it. They contact me and say that they will. I tell them that as it is their bike I will cancel the insurance.
    13. I cancel the insurance and wait for the collection to take place.
    14. They do not collect. I give Blackhorse notice that I can no longer keep their bike in storage and that it will soon have to be kept outside. Although securely chained to the fence. They say by phone that they will collect, but they do not. Unfortunately 19-10-2012 the bike gets vandalised. So I immediately ring and send a letter telling Blackhorse what has happened and that they need to contact the police and their insurance company that their property has been damaged.
    15. They do nothing. I send another letter 8-11-2012 to ask them what they are going to do and when are they going to recover the vandalised bike as I will have to have it removed as I no longer have a place to stand or store the bike.
    16. They ignore me.
    17. I am contacted by Aplins 28 Sept 2013 who say that their clients Hillesden Securities are taking legal proceedings against me quoting the Blackhorse agreement number. There description is: The claim is of course for the amount of your remaining liability under the Agreement following disposal of the subject goods.
    18. So I presume that Hillesden have purchased a hp agreement that is for a vehicle which they believe to have already been disposed of.
    19. 7-oct-2013 I get a Notice of sums in Arrears from Dlc which shows a balance for Creditor Hillesden Securities which also says: This notice is for your information only. It does not effect any payment arrangement we have agreed with you and you do not need to respond.
    20. I take it from this that Dlc have now taken over the agreement and will be contacting me for details of payment etc.
    21. 16-10-2013 Hillesden make a claim at Northampton Court against me.
    19. I fill in the details online on the Court website to dispute the claim and to move the hearing to my local court. But, I make a mistake and do not complete the whole process properly.
    20. A judgment is made against me. So I complete and send to the court the N244, asking for it to be set aside.
    21. I now have a court date about setting it aside Mid January at my local court.

All communications in writing in the steps above by me to Blackhorse were sent by recorded post.

Is there anyone who can offer advise on this.
    I would like to know if what they have done is all legal.
    Also, when the bike was vandalised, who was responsible for it. Me or Blackhorse.
    Then finally, what should I do or say at court.
    Tags: None

Re: HP agreement dispute out of control and now gone to court. Any help or advise ple

Originally posted by gomt View Post
    This is a bit unusual so I will keep this simple (ish)
    I need advise, but so far national debt line are stumped.

1. I take out HP on a motorcycle.12-8-2010.
    2. On receiving a statement and I realise that I have actually been charged 20% more than the RRP of the bike agreed with the salesman during my telephone conversations prior to purchasing the bike. This is shown as VAT on top of the RRP, which already included VAT.
    3. November 2011, I contact Blackhorse by telephone and letter asking them to rectify the overpayment by contacting the dealer and the factory who I was sure would confirm the correct price. As this was a franchised dealer, not an independent. I also tell Blackhorse in the letter that I will not be making any payments until the correct new payment amount is calculated, then I would start to pay the correct payment amounts. I also advise Blackhorse that the bike will be temporarily put into storage.
    4. May 2012 Blackhorse send a long winded letter, basically saying that I signed for that amount and that they would do nothing and told me that I either had to pay in full or they would collect the bike.
    5. I wrote again asking them to reconsider. They wrote back in July 2012 saying no, their decision stands.
    6. I check with the factory Triumph, who by the frame number confirm that I have in fact over paid by 20%.
    4. Bad news. The franchised dealer who sold me the bike have gone into liquidation.
    5. Good news. The manager still works there for the new firm and confirms a mistake must have been made by his salesman. But that salesman no longer works with him.
    6. Bad News. I contact the insolvency practitioners who tell me that the insolvency is settled and there is no money in the pot.
    7. Bad News. I contact Blackhorse who refuse to accept the overpayment. (I would point out that when I signed the agreement I had stupidly done so without reading glasses and just trusted the salesman).
    10. Credit Style ltd contact me and tell me that Blackhorse have asked them to mediate, I tell Credit Style that I would like to offer to pay the full balance, less the overpayment of VAT. The mediator, tells me that is a good offer and that he has no doubt that Blackhorse will accept.
    11. Bad News. Blackhorse say 'no', because they want the full amount. Also telling me on no uncertain terms that they own the bike.
    12. I tell them to collect it. They contact me and say that they will. I tell them that as it is their bike I will cancel the insurance.
    13. I cancel the insurance and wait for the collection to take place.
    14. They do not collect. I give Blackhorse notice that I can no longer keep their bike in storage and that it will soon have to be kept outside. Although securely chained to the fence. They say by phone that they will collect, but they do not. Unfortunately 19-10-2012 the bike gets vandalised. So I immediately ring and send a letter telling Blackhorse what has happened and that they need to contact the police and their insurance company that their property has been damaged.
    15. They do nothing. I send another letter 8-11-2012 to ask them what they are going to do and when are they going to recover the vandalised bike as I will have to have it removed as I no longer have a place to stand or store the bike.
    16. They ignore me.
    17. I am contacted by Aplins 28 Sept 2013 who say that their clients Hillesden Securities are taking legal proceedings against me quoting the Blackhorse agreement number. There description is: The claim is of course for the amount of your remaining liability under the Agreement following disposal of the subject goods.
    18. So I presume that Hillesden have purchased a hp agreement that is for a vehicle which they believe to have already been disposed of.
    19. 7-oct-2013 I get a Notice of sums in Arrears from Dlc which shows a balance for Creditor Hillesden Securities which also says: This notice is for your information only. It does not effect any payment arrangement we have agreed with you and you do not need to respond.
    20. I take it from this that Dlc have now taken over the agreement and will be contacting me for details of payment etc.
    21. 16-10-2013 Hillesden make a claim at Northampton Court against me.
    19. I fill in the details online on the Court website to dispute the claim and to move the hearing to my local court. But, I make a mistake and do not complete the whole process properly.
    20. A judgment is made against me. So I complete and send to the court the N244, asking for it to be set aside.
    21. I now have a court date about setting it aside Mid January at my local court.

All communications in writing in the steps above by me to Blackhorse were sent by recorded post.

Is there anyone who can offer advise on this.
    I would like to know if what they have done is all legal.
    Also, when the bike was vandalised, who was responsible for it. Me or Blackhorse.
    Then finally, what should I do or say at court.
    Hi there

Very interesting case this is.

did you tell blackhorse that you wished to terminate the agreement in writing? and did they accept this?
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Re: HP agreement dispute out of control and now gone to court. Any help or advise ple

Hello. Yes I did in the letter Dec 2011 I made it clear that if we could not come to an amicable outcome that Blackhorse would take the bike away and that that in the event that the re-sale price should be based on the age, mileage and condition of the bike at that date of the letter.

Then in Sept 2012, following Blackhorse refusing to accept full payment (excluding the extra 20% disputed), I told Credit Style that in that case I they could advise Blackhorse to collect the bike. Black horse recovery people contacted me to confirm that it would be collected. But they did this by telephone. But of course they did not collect the bike. Unfortunately a few weeks later it was vandalised. Not stolen.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X