• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

ATM sols / Grassroots Financial / Temple / Legal Ness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hello everyone

Thank you. I was just concerned over this ''We fear losing our home but our solicitor says as we are in a DAS that we should be protected from this '' - as it only covers creditors included in the DAS, and obviously due to the dispute, Grassroots isn't covered in it.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
      That could be the grounds on which you could defend any action by counter claiming that the advice they're trying to charge you for actually cost you more.

Did Grass Roots do anything further for you after you received the advice to stop paying?

Also is your solicitor intending to represent you in this?
      Grassroots and their solicitors left us in "limbo" afterwards. We heard nothing else from them apart from pay up now letters. We have a solicitor representing us here in Scotland, but may need to pull away as his fees are extortionate. Need some help with this desperately as three years on and it's killing us!

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
        Thank you. I was just concerned over this ''We fear losing our home but our solicitor says as we are in a DAS that we should be protected from this '' - as it only covers creditors included in the DAS, and obviously due to the dispute, Grassroots isn't covered in it.
        Would you advise us to put Grassroots onto our DAS then?

Comment

Have you engaged your solicitor on this Grassroots issue for those three years ? What has he done or is he just responding to letters ? Doesn't sound like a marvellous job if they are now threatening insolvency.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

In the other Grass Roots case the customer signed a 'defended claim' agreement which means that Grass Roots were supposed to defend a claim from the credit card company for not paying.

Did you sign one of these?

Comment

I can't advise you on the DAS, 1) because I'm not an advisor and 2) because I don't know anything about the DAS other than what I have just read on the help I'm sinking or whatever it is called gov sponsored website.

I don't know if you can continue a dispute on a debt whilst it is in the DAS or if you can add in further debts when mid way through a DAS. Do you have a DAS advisor/co-ordinator type person ?

I also don't know if creditors (although I personally don't feel grassroots are a creditor in that sense as they are invoicing you for a ''service'' rather than lending you money - although they do hold a consumer credit licence (somehow!).

Sorry that is no help, but I do think you should look in to it.
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Have you engaged your solicitor on this Grassroots issue for those three years ? What has he done or is he just responding to letters ? Doesn't sound like a marvellous job if they are now threatening insolvency.
                no, we have only just found our solicitor as we only received the threatening letters from Temple and co a month or so ago. He is only just researching the documents we gave him and he has been in contact with Temple and co. Our solicitor says he may be able to muddy the waters on the "jurisdiction" being in Scotland.
                So, there's a possibility we could lose our home then, even with equity on our home?

Comment

As this would be a Scottish case you could try and speak to Govan Law Centre (Dailly & Co) for at least some initial advice.

http://www.govanlc.com/solicitors.htm

http://govanlc.blogspot.co.uk/p/about-glc.html

Comment

It is very unlikely - they backed down at the first sign of solicitors involvement in the other case where they had issues a stat demand, so it is more likely they would try through the courts, and you would be able to offer installment payments etc before you got anywhere near to your home...and then only if they won in court .... so don't panic based on what I said, I was simply concerned your solicitor advised it couldn't happen because of the DAS and I'm not convinced that is actually the case.

But yes, as EXC says speaking to Govan Law may be an idea, they are strongly on the consumer's side.

Scots law gives individuals certain protections when it comes to forcing a sale of their family home and secondly if sequestration (the equivalent to bankruptcy) is pursued before a court decree is obtained (that is by serving a 21 day demand) a simple denial by the debtor of the amounts due (even if there is no valid reason for it) brings the procedure to an end before sequestration can be applied for.

At the moment though is your solicitor drafting a response to Temple & Co's letter before action ??
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

I don't know if it's still the same now or if it has changed in recent years, but I do know that Mike Daily at Govan Law Centre only used to take cases that were in his area or very close to his area, unfortunately, as Mike is VERY good, as a lot of members here will know of course

Can I ask, what area you live in, or which solicitor you are using now??
                      (very welcome to pm me if you don't wish for that info to be on open forum)

Comment

It is very unlikely - they backed down at the first sign of solicitors involvement in the other case where they had issues a stat demand, so it is more likely they would try through the courts, and you would be able to offer installment payments etc before you got anywhere near to your home...and then only if they won in court .... so don't panic based on what I said, I was simply concerned your solicitor advised it couldn't happen because of the DAS and I'm not convinced that is actually the case.

But yes, as EXC says speaking to Govan Law may be an idea, they are strongly on the consumer's side.

At the moment though is your solicitor drafting a response to Temple & Co's letter before action ??
                        Yes, our solicitor has written to Temple and co today but says it will go quiet now as offices will shut down for the Xmas period.

Comment

For others advising, Jojo1 has Pm'd me with which area Jojo1 lives in and the solicitors name

Unfortunately it is well out of the Govan area so I suspect that Mike would not take the case on (unless of course that has been changed in recent years) but if all else fails it could possibly be worth a phone call to Govan Law Centre, you never know

I have asked Jojo to keep us informed of what the solicitor advises

Jojo do you know roughly what your solicitor has said in his letter to Temple and co

Comment

Many thanks everyone for all your advice, it certainly has put our minds at ease slightly!! I will certainly keep you all informed with this legal process. Amethyst...how do I chat in the vip chat area you mentioned earlier?:reindeer:

Comment

Re: Hello everyone - Grassroots Financial

NEWS on ATM Solicitors - http://www.sra.org.uk/sra/news/press...y.page?src=rss
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Re: Hello everyone - Grassroots Financial

I dealt with someone who got into all sorts of trouble after ATM advised him that his credit card contract was unenforceable and told him to 'cease making any further payments' on it.

Having is contract deemed unenforceable triggered a charge by Grass Roots. It smacked of a conflict of interest.

Of course MOJ weren't remotely interested. This was back in 2010 and it's a shame it's taken nearly 4 years to get this character struck off.
                                Attached Files

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X