• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Islamic Credit Cards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islamic Credit Cards

Dear friends,

I am researching on Islamic credit card. As the data revealed, UK is one of the biggest Islamic banking countries. However, I have researched and found that UK Islamic banks, especially IBB does not provide any Islamic credit cards. I presumably that UK credit card demand would be very high and should attract Islamic banks to be in this business. I am wondering is there any reason why Islamic banks in UK do not offer Shariah compliant credit cards like Malaysia and UAE. One reason I suspected is that there are legal regulations on this type of credit card business that prevent them to enter. However, I was not be able to find the Britain financial laws and regulations that directly relate to Islamic credit card. If any of you have more expertise and knowledge, please feel free to let me know about the regulations. I am appreciated your help.

Thank you.
    Tags: None

Re: Islamic Credit Cards

Hi Pongsakorn

At the moment there is no UK credit card only debit cards through a Sharia compliant current account provider that complies with Sharia finance but it is only a matter of time before one is launched.
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Re: Islamic Credit Cards

Credit cards are legislated by the CCA which allows for charging interest - There is no legislation for Islamic Credit Cards, which would be not much different to that of an islamic debit card anyway.

Basically, where would the profit and financial risk protection be for Islamic creditors that issue Islamic credit cards? As they would only be able to charge a small annual fee (Ijarah, or Service Charge) and such fee would not cover the financial risk of the creditor from those that do not repay or can not afford to repay. Where as interest on standard credit cards does!
      Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X