• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claim Management Company charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Claim Management Company charges

Originally posted by enaid View Post
    Sorry I thought it was said that your BOS card was taken over by MBNA.
    I always had the two separate cards with the two separate companies. What happened after 2005 when I no longer had the 2 cards does not apply. I think this is clear - if not can someone tell me where I am going wrong/potty?

Dougal

Comment

You said here that you had 2 BOS cards that were amalgamated http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...047#post398047

From what I understand the amalgamated card account was then taken over by MBNA in 2005. GB complained to MBNA who themselves (and not GB) referred it to BOS (now Lloyds).

Comment

I had 1 card from BOS replaced with another from BOS later on, the first card was issued in 1997.

I had an MBNA card issued by MBNA later, circa 2000/2001.

My apologies for any confusion!

Dougal

Comment

Okay, so GB contacted MBNA who couldn't instantly find your account so stuck it in the 'this must be one of those dodgy old BoS accounts' pile to send to BoS to deal with.... BoS responded saying they had had contact from you questionning whether MBNA and BoS were the same company but nothing else.... then for some reason sent GB a copy of their decision and offer letter ??
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            Okay, so GB contacted MBNA who couldn't instantly find your account so stuck it in the 'this must be one of those dodgy old BoS accounts' pile to send to BoS to deal with.... BoS responded saying they had had contact from you questionning whether MBNA and BoS were the same company but nothing else.... then for some reason sent GB a copy of their decision and offer letter ??
            OK let me try and put this into some sort of sequence:

1994 BOS issue a credit card to me after their mail shot to me, Credit limit £6000.

1997 Mbna issue credit card after promotional phone call.
            Credit limit £4000.

Due to matrimonial problems in 2004 Debt collectors instructed by both. Sporadic payments made to both.

Various collection agencies attempt recovery...all gave up by 2000.

Early in 2013 yours truly discovers that PPI can be reclaimed. Yours truly makes several claims himself, including one to BOS.

Sept 2013 yours truly gets tele sales call from GLadstone Brookes.

I had heard that MBNA were very difficult to deal with, so let the pushy sales guy from GB have a go.

On the form I completed (which they sent to me) I ONLY authorised GB to contact MBNA. Nobody else.

I have heard absolutely NOTHING from them, for almost 5 months until they discovered I had been paid out on the claim that I made MYSELF on my BOS card and GB wanted a chunk of the money.

All views on this very welcome.
            Best wishes all
            Dougal
            Last edited by Dougal16T; 16th January 2014, 18:26:PM. Reason: Poor grammar!

Comment

1994 BOS issue a credit card to me after their mail shot to me, Credit limit £6000.

Credit limit £4000.
              however................

The acknowledgement letter from BOS arrived in 3 days, then 14 days later, a further letter from BOS arrived. This was the surprise; they stated they had records of a second Credit Card on a different number in my name, (this dated back to 1998/1999), and they said that they had amalgamated both card accounts, and would be in touch.... On the 18th December they wrote to me with their offer letter (having upheld my complaint), and offered just over £12K !

So which cards were amalgamated ?
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Sorry I sound like I'm putting you on the stand here, I don't mean to, just trying to help work out how BoS have come into it with GB xx
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

Sorry

My ex-wife and I had a joint Bos card at one stage, hence 2 cards. The divorce settlement included my 'taking on' her share of the card debt.

Now I see why I confused you... Dougal

GB were only ever instructed to act on the MBNA card NOT BOS!

Comment

Originally posted by Dougal16T View Post
                    Sorry

My ex-wife and I had a joint one at one stage, and I had one in my sole name hence 2 cards. The divorce settlement included my 'taking on' her share of the card debt.

Hope this helps

Comment

Okay get you now ... presumably then the joint card wasn't ex MBNA either just checking xx

I think you need to ask MBNA what authorisation they have to talk to BOS, and how BOS had considered they had authorisation to talk to GB.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Dougal16T View Post
                        Sorry

My ex-wife and I had a joint Bos card at one stage, hence 2 cards. The divorce settlement included my 'taking on' her share of the card debt.

I think that ultimately you need to get confirmation from BOS about who submitted the complaint that resulted in the refund. That's all that matters

There are 3 possible scenarios:

1) Yourself
                        2) GB via MBNA
                        3) GB directly

Did you get a complaint ref number from BOS when you complained to them yourself?
                        Last edited by EXC; 17th January 2014, 06:23:AM.

Comment

I think you need to ask MBNA what authorisation they have to talk to BOS
                          According to DISP, MBNA were correct to forward the complaint to BOS as BOS were probably the company responsible for selling the policy.

http://fshandbook.info/FS/html/handbook/DISP/1/7

The only thing is that DISP 1.7 (2) required MBNA to give 'the complainant' a final response at the point they forwarded the complaint to BOS which apparently neither GB or Dougal received. In the letter from GB it says ''Gladstone Brooks did not contact you regarding the chain of events as we are not made to be aware of it until the decision letter is received from the previous card supplier [sic]''.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                            BOS were probably the company responsible for selling the policy.

Even if the MBNA card was never a BOS card ?

Originally posted by Dougal
                            Credit limit £4000.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Even if the MBNA card was never a BOS card ?
                              It must have been a BOS card (at least the one we're concerned about) as it's they who refunded the PPI.

Comment

Morning all,

Many thanks for the responses.

The joint card mentioned earlier was with the Bank of Scotland.

Now to help (I hope)

I am copying GB's letter exactly as it is written: (and adding my own notes in italics)

Here it is:

Dated 15th January 2014

Dear Mr xxxxxx

Re: Your Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) Claim
                                Agreement number : 9613/7842 (My note: These numbers are BOS Numbers NOT Mbna)

Thank you for your letter dated 9th January 2014.

I will answer your questions in the order that they have been put to us.

1. Your signed letter of authorisation (a) to allow Gladstone Brookes to approach MBNA on your behalf states the following 'In addition, Gladstone Brookes have full authority to discuss any financial issues that may arise as a result of this complaint, including but not exclusive to any arrears, outstanding balances, full and final settlements and any other financial obligations.'

(Point a. This is not a 'signed letter of authorisation but is their standard form. Further the letters MBNA were not written on the form by me, because they are not in my handwriting; the form was sent to me and I was asked to merely sign it and send it back so that they could deal with MBNA for me.)

You are quite correct in that you approached us with a view to investigate all aspects of your MBNA credit card, however as MBNA acquired the account in 2005 from Lloyds Group (Bank of Scotland)n they did not have the full information to respond correctly to your complaint and so it was Mark Pierce (Advocate Office Manager) of MBNA who forwarded the Gladstone Brookes letter of complaint and authorisation to Bank of Scotland to investigate further. This is a standard procedure when correctly investigating the mis selling of PPI.
                                Bank of Scotland confirms receipt of Mark Pierces letter along with our original letter of complaint and authorisation on 9th November 2013. A complaint under our reference 462794-1 was opened on this day.

(point b. Where does Mark Pierce of Mbna get his authorisation from? It certainly was not from me. Was he instructed by a third party - Gladstone Brookes? Is this legal?)

2. Bank of Scotland has advised that the only contact they have received from you regarding this complaint was on 8th January 2014 with your query of whether they and MBNA were the same company, which they correctly advised you that they are not.

( Point c. I have in my file of documents a letter to me from the Bank of Scotland, dated 15th November 2013 acknowledging my complaint on one credit card, and I have another letter to me from the Bank of Scotland, dated 29th November 2013, informing me that they have found the records of a second card and are amalgamating both cards into one complaint.)

3. Gladstone Brookes did not contact you regarding this chain of events as we are not made aware of it until the decision letter is received from the previous card supplier It was therefore impossible to update you n this matter prior to receiving the offer of redress.
                                We have however updated you by text and/or email on 8th November 2013 to advise that MBNA had acknowledged the complaint and a response was pending investigation.

(Point d. At no time have I received any communication from Gladstoe Brookes, until they 'discovered' that I had been paid on my PPI claim from the Bank of Scotland. They only knew about this because they contacted BOS, who informed them that a PPI claim had been made and settled.)

As you will see the correct process in investigating PPI mis sell has been followed by Gladstone Brookes, MBNA and Bank of Scotland and our approach to them has resulted in a successful response for your card pre 2005.

We are currently awaiting the response from MBNA regarding your card account post 2005.

(Point e. I no longer had a card then, so they may have a long wait!)

May I also direct you to the Terms and Conditions printed on our pack for which you have signed to confirm you read and agreed to. I have highlighted the relevant section.

(Point f. I have only ever signed one form, and not a 'pack', and this ONLY authorised them to contact MBNA no-one else.The T & C form that has been supplied by Gladstone Brookes is one that I have never seen!)

I trust that my response and explanation answers your query and upon receipt of your refund from Bank of Scotland, our invoice will be satisfied accordingly as the redress is a result of Gladstone BrooKes approach.

Should you have any further questions I am available at resolutionsteam@gladstonebrokkes.co.uk or by return mail.

Yours sincerely,
                                Gladstone Brookes
                                Resolutions team
                                GLADSTONE BROOKES

OK everyone, all comments welcome,
                                I feel a complaint to GB and thence to MOJ...any thoughts?
                                Best wishes all
                                Dougal
                                Last edited by Dougal16T; 17th January 2014, 10:41:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X