• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Possible Legal Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Legal Advice

Hi, I'm wondering if im eligible for legal aid in this case. Recently on a betting website with a well known bookmaker I won a substantial amount of money from the free fiver on roulette. Before doing so, I had just opened my account and was naturally asked to provide ID over live chat which I done so, therefore declaring my account verified. Two days later and with no problems, I was able to play the roulette and thus won. Immediately after though my account was closed and I was once again asked to provide identification which I felt was strange because a) i had already provided it and b) they could have asked me any time in the last two days, but done so after I had won. After three days, they finally got back to me in an email. They declared the winnings void due to myself holding an account before with the same email. However because I did not verify this account, the account was closed and therefore the email was available again, and I also did not use any offers on this account either. I am wondering if I have any way to get my money back legally or will it be a waste of time as it is clear they are not going to budge without doing so.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    Tags: None

Re: Possible Legal Advice

If legal aid is available i would be suprised,most of the gaming websites are not in this country you would i expect have to fight them in another country

Comment

its hq is Dublin so that wouldn't be an issue as I have an address in Northern Ireland

Comment

The government website has pages tellingif you qualify for legal aid and what you can get it for at a glance for your case probably not but take a look

Comment

As you are based in Northern Ireland and Dublin (Bookmakers HQ) happens to be in the Republic, there is a great deal of difference. They are different countries.
          Assistance & Civil Legal Aid is, in the main, not available for court cases outside Northern Ireland.
          http://www.nilsc.org.uk/uploads/publ...egal%20Aid.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
            If legal aid is available i would be suprised,most of the gaming websites are not in this country you would i expect have to fight them in another country
            A lot of them are based in Gibraltar, which is a Crown dependency, but strictly speaking, not part of the UK as such.

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
            The government website has pages tellingif you qualify for legal aid and what you can get it for at a glance for your case probably not but take a look
            You may want to contact the NI Legal Services Commission for a definitive answer: http://www.nilsc.org.uk

acccesstojustice@nilsc.org.uk

Comment

There is a legal principle that states that gambling debts are only 'gentlemens agreements' and therefore unenforceable. This is a longstanding policy decision based on the idea that gambling is not to be encouraged.

Whether that would apply in this case is not clear, but I would have thought it likely. In any event, the odds against a successful application for Legal Aid are astronomical.

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
                There is a legal principle that states that gambling debts are only 'gentlemens agreements' and therefore unenforceable. This is a longstanding policy decision based on the idea that gambling is not to be encouraged.
                But surely when big gambling corporations are involved, they should honour your winnings, otherwise what would be the point of gambling if, when you win, you don't get paid?

Whether that would apply in this case is not clear, but I would have thought it likely. In any event, the odds against a successful application for Legal Aid are astronomical.
                I didn't think the OP would be entitled to Legal Aid in this case, however, rather than express my opinion, I thought it better for them to contact the relevant bodies and make sure, especially since they are in NI.

Comment

Some info about the Gambling Commission here
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                  Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                  gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                  The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

"There is a legal principle that states that gambling debts are only 'gentlemens agreements' and therefore unenforceable. This is a longstanding policy decision based on the idea that gambling is not to be encouraged."

The Gambling Act 2005 came into force Sept 2007 and section 335 provides that the fact that a contract relates to gambling shall not prevent its enforcement.

This means that a gambling debt can be legally enforced as long as it is lawful gambling.

Comment

Originally posted by declang View Post
                      its hq is Dublin so that wouldn't be an issue as I have an address in Northern Ireland
                      Have you considered asking Sinn Fein to help?

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                        But surely when big gambling corporations are involved, they should honour your winnings, otherwise what would be the point of gambling if, when you win, you don't get paid?
                        One has the pleasure of supposing for a short while that one might not lose one's money, which pleasure is not provided by any other form of theft.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                          The Gambling Act 2005 came into force Sept 2007 and section 335 provides that the fact that a contract relates to gambling shall not prevent its enforcement.

This means that a gambling debt can be legally enforced as long as it is lawful gambling.
                          Except that - link - it does not apply to Ulster.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                            The Gambling Act 2005 came into force Sept 2007 and section 335 provides that the fact that a contract relates to gambling shall not prevent its enforcement. This means that a gambling debt can be legally enforced as long as it is lawful gambling.
                            Corrected.

This explains the sudden plethora of online, TV advertised, gambling sites. Dodgy 'investors' now feel safe. Obviously, there is been a more recent policy decision.

Comment

This explains the sudden plethora of online, TV advertised, gambling sites.
                              And also the increase of sales of superglue, as more and more is applied to the locks on bookmakers' shops?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X