• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hassled by Wescot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hassled by Wescot

Hi,

A company called 'Wescot Credit Services Ltd' has been hassling me for the past week for a debt that they claim that I owe to Sky. The first I ever heard of this alleged debt is when Wescot contacted me (i.e. Sky have never once mentioned it to me).

I finally answered one of their calls, refused to answer their 'identity verification' questions, and requested that they cease contacting me except by post.

They have not sent me any letter, but today they have sent me two emails at 10:26 and 10:27, one phone call at 14:49, and a text message at 15:30. I did not respond to any of those communications.

What is the best way to stop them hassling me over this debt? I am not sure if I should send a 'prove it' letter when they have not sent me any letter?

Do I understand correctly that I cannot complain to the Financial Services Ombudsman because the debt does not arise as a result of a 'consumer credit agreement'? Should I complain to the CSA? The OFT? The police - given that harassment is a criminal offence? I owe no money to anyone so I simply want them to stop hassling me. If they believe I am mistaken I will happily see them in court (or rather, Sky, as have not been notified of any legal assignment of the debt under s 136 LPA 1925).

If it is relevant, I dispute that any sum is owing to Sky. I have already sent a formal complaint letter to Sky about the issue after their customer support did not resolve the issue and intend to take the matter to the communications ombudsman if I do not receive a satisfactory response.

Tags: None

Re: Hassled by Wescot

Hi Mark and welcome to Legal Beagles.

Harassment, as defined by the Protection from Harassment Act 1998, is a criminal offence and a civil tort. Westcot is subject to an OFT Category F Debt Collection Licence and, as such, is required to abide by OFT Debt Collection Guidelines. Have you checked your credit file to see if anything has been added in respect of the this alleged debt?

If you intend pursuing a complaint against Sky, I would go to OFCOM first. They are the regulator.

How many times in total, at what frequency and over what period of time has Westcot contacted you about the alleged debt?
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Re: Hassled by Wescot

Hi Bluebottle - thanks for your post.

Wescot sent me a number of texts over the course of the week just gone (i.e. w/c 18th November) and called me twice. I am not sure of the exact number of texts as I deleted them, I would guess about five. I called them on Friday and refused to answer any security questions, although I did confirm the reference number I had been provided with. I asked them on Friday not to contact me except by post.

They did not contact me on Monday of this week (i.e. w/c 25th November). Today they have contacted me by email, phone call, and text once each, as mentioned above.

I have checked my credit file on Experian and nothing has been added regarding this alleged debt. I have not checked with the other agencies. I will do so and raise a dispute if any entry has been made.

I will complain to OFCOM as well as the Communications Ombudsman, thanks for the advice. Will see what Sky's response is first, anyway.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X