• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

debt company brought debt and now got a charging order

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• debt company brought debt and now got a charging order

A debt company has purchased a debt that was mainly bank charges from the Halifax unauthorised overdraft of about £130 escalated to almost £2000 over the 5 ½ year period. they have taken me to court and I was ordered to pay it. I put an offer in of £1.70 per month after all my other bills were paid this was left over, I was on benefits but now am staring self employed but now can afford £10 per month or a little more. The court date came and I was violently ill so could not attend, can’t prove it as was not medical i.e. hospital, just poorly for a couple of days. In my absence the debt company has been successful in obtaining a charging order on my property. I still waiting for the forms but got the letter from the court saying they have awarded in favour of Debt Company. Pleas can any one advise me as what to do. I got a case worker at the C.A.B but she seems to just be accepting things rather than fighting them any help would be gratefully received.. not sleeping that well..Thanks ricko
    Tags: None

Re: debt company brought debt and now got a charging order

Hi + to LegalBeagles,,someone will pop by and help

Comment

Well you could go try and apply for a set aside on the basis you will to sick to attend court. Though to be honest if you never rang the court on the original court date or when you first became ill, then you may have an uphill battle if persuading the court since you have no medical record to prove it. Though a witness statement from a third party such as direct family member whom witness you being ill may be enough. But i wouldn't hold your breath.
      Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

If you have a charging order then it means the debt is secured on your home. The forms you are waiting for are they for applying for a set aside or redetermination ?

Could you post up the text of the judgment order you received pls.

Also if you still have it if you could type up the particulars of claim from the N1 form that would be of use.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by bottle04 View Post
          A debt company has purchased a debt that was mainly bank charges from the Halifax unauthorised overdraft of about £130 escalated to almost £2000 over the 5 ½ year period. they have taken me to court and I was ordered to pay it. I put an offer in of £1.70 per month after all my other bills were paid this was left over, I was on benefits but now am staring self employed but now can afford £10 per month or a little more. The court date came and I was violently ill so could not attend, can’t prove it as was not medical i.e. hospital, just poorly for a couple of days. In my absence the debt company has been successful in obtaining a charging order on my property. I still waiting for the forms but got the letter from the court saying they have awarded in favour of Debt Company. Pleas can any one advise me as what to do. I got a case worker at the C.A.B but she seems to just be accepting things rather than fighting them any help would be gratefully received.. not sleeping that well..Thanks ricko

Advice I have been given is that if a debt is sold to another collection agency, they cannot collect it without your consent. The purchaser of the debt is not entitled to collect the debt without authority. I suggest that you check to see if the company taking you to court did have your authority to pursue you for the debt. Just because the original debt holder had your consent, that does not automatically transfer to the new collection agency.

Comment

Hi Arthur
            This post is nearly 4 years old so probably not relevant now

In addition I think your claims are untrue - I am guessing you found them on goodf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X