• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help for a good friend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for a good friend

A good friend of mine (I've known him for many years) is having problems getting any help.

He is diagnosed as having a degenerative lumbar condition which has now rendered him unable to work.
    It is listed on the WHO database.

He has until now been a s/employed builder, has struggled with his condition in order to feed his family & keep a roof (social housing) over their heads.
    He is fully paid up to date with tax & NI contributions.

His partner earns about £150 per week (s/emp) as a carer, but doesn't receive any carer allowance for him.

I suspect that he has been too honest with his claim, & has said that he can do more than he is really able to. (male pride?)

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick
    Tags: None

Re: Help for a good friend

[QUOTE=charitynjw;389803]A good friend of mine (I've known him for many years) is having problems getting any help.

He is diagnosed as having a degenerative lumbar condition which has now rendered him unable to work.
    It is listed on the WHO database.

He has until now been a s/employed builder, has struggled with his condition in order to feed his family & keep a roof (social housing) over their heads.
    He is fully paid up to date with tax & NI .Well being self employed he can not claim SSP (statuary sick pay) so he will have to go on ESA I would imagine https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance.

His partner earns about £150 per week (s/emp) as a carer, but doesn't receive any carer allowance for him..£100 limit on earnings to receive CA after tax/ni and certain expenses. She must also care for him for at least 35 hrs per week.
    ​Working tax credits maybe worth looking at as she is not earning a lot.

I suspect that he has been too honest with his claim, & has said that he can do more than he is really able to. (male pride?)

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.[/QUOTE

When being interviewed for a sickness claim you should explain things as they are at your worst, no point pride coming into it as the saying goes'pride comes before a fall'
    Enaid x

Comment

Thanks, enaid.

From what I understand, he hasn't had a 'face-to-face' interview; he's been turned down for the written application.

I'll find some better info.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

https://www.gov.uk/employment-suppor...e/how-to-claim

If hes been turned down then he will have been put on JSA Self-employed

You can’t usually get contribution-based JSA if you’re self-employed. You must have paid enough Class 1 National insurance, and self-employed people pay Class 2 or 4. You could get income-based JSA, tax credits or Employment and Support Allowance instead.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X