• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

newport county court help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newport county court help please

Hi all I'm new to this just received a letter from the above to attend court for questioning its on a loan from welcome financial services or a company called Ind Ltd acting on their behalf. I got to attend in January but I'm scared of what the outcome will be as letter states prison if I don't cooperate with them. I don't receive benefits as my partner earns to much and she gives me money to pay my utility bills so I don't really no if they will be harsh with me I'm willing to pay back £10.00 a month but don't no if they will accept this or just send me to prison. Just looking for help or advice they want me to produce phone bills etc but mine are paper free and I no they charge for paper bills and I can't afford to get them. Just don't no what to do or where I stand.
    Tags: None

Re: newport county court help please

Hi Spampocket

Don't worry! -"they" can't "just send you to prison".

You need to show the limitations of your means and, unless you contest the financial obligation, express your willingness to pay.

There are some very knowledgeable Beagles her to help you sort all this out so don't panic, have a cuppa and sit tight for advice.

Any further info you can post up (personal details removed) will help people to give you advice tailored to your situation.

Comment

Originally posted by spampocket View Post
      Hi all I'm new to this just received a letter from the above to attend court for questioning its on a loan from welcome financial services or a company called Ind Ltd acting on their behalf. I got to attend in January but I'm scared of what the outcome will be as letter states prison if I don't cooperate with them. I don't receive benefits as my partner earns to much and she gives me money to pay my utility bills so I don't really no if they will be harsh with me I'm willing to pay back £10.00 a month but don't no if they will accept this or just send me to prison. Just looking for help or advice they want me to produce phone bills etc but mine are paper free and I no they charge for paper bills and I can't afford to get them. Just don't no what to do or where I stand.
      Presumably they have a CCJ? You can find out here: http://www.trustonline.org.uk/search-yourself

The reason the letter mentions prison is in case you refuse to attend court, it's not relating to the debt. Debt is a civil matter and you cannot be sent to prison for it, with the possible exception of Council Tax, but never over a consumer debt such as a Welcome Finance loan!

If they do have a CCJ, you can be made to attend court to answer questions regarding your financial situation, presumably this is the reason for the letter. :juge:

You should make a repayment offer you can afford, regardless of whether you are in receipt of any benefits, even a judge can't make you pay what you haven't got. To that effect, you should provide them with a suitable income and expenditure form showing how you arrived at the figure you intend to offer. You may find this useful: http://mymoney.nedcab.org.uk/moneyadvice/quickfs.asp

Comment

Hi there thanks for getting back to me appreciate it. Well I'm in this situation as no fault of my own really, took a 7 grand loan out back 07 paid it for a while lost my job. Then to be honest forgot about it as I heard welcome finance went bust and the local branch closed so just forgot it. But I just don't no what the outcome will be I suppose if I say I can pay they can't really deny me the pleasure but if they don't accept I don't no what I'll do. As have 2 small kids and a partner and if they did impose a prison sentence I'd be done for. But I'm hoping it wont come to that I have had the chance to pay end ten pound a month and I did at first but stopped due to financial reasons but my partner said she willvpay me ten pound a month to them for me which is nice. I wouldn't mind so much if I had benefits but I'm not allowed as the government say my partner earns too much she's on 18grand a year so don't no what the government class as too much but there you go if I had that money I'd be ok so the predicament I'm in is that I solely have to rely on family.

Comment

Thank you parrot that information was really helpful but in regards to explaining the money I have to show them my expenditure its not really my money as my partner is the one who gives me the money to pay my bills. I don't want to put her financial situation down on paper as its not her fault if you no what I mean, I will tell them that we use our child benefit money to pay my monthly bills and that my gf is willing to give me £10 a month for them and hope they will accept it do you think I should maybe offer a river first and if not then increase it. I just don't want to show my partners incomings and outgoings invade they say I have to pay more.

Comment

Sorry meant to say a fiver not river lol and meant incase not invade.

Comment

Hey all oh well I'm in court now Tuesday and I'm bricking it, been so busy over Xmas that not done a financial evaluation for the court I'm just gonna take my bank statement from the last 3 months and highlight the things my partner pays. My phone bill,credit card and Bt internet. I'll offer them a fiver a month surely they have to accept it don't they?. Just after some reassurance.

Comment

hi spampocket

good luck for tuesday.

I may be wrong (someone please correct me if i am) but if you and your partner live together which i assume you do otherwise you would be entitled to benefit, then it is classed as a joint income where the government is concerned so they will most likely take into account your partners income and if you refuse to disclose all the information then that could make your outcome very bad.

So i would suggest working out a quick income and expenditure list with everything included not just child benefit as they will know that you will have other income as you don't get benefits.

Comment

Yeah maybe so but on the claim form I had from the court it asked about my income not my partners. I have spoke to the court and they said my bank statements are fine to produce as long as I get a letter from my girlfriend saying what she pays for me.and that I highlight what she pays for on my bank statements. Its got nothing to do with them what my girlfriend earns as we ain't married my girlfriend shouldn't have to disclose that information its personal can't hold her liable for a debt that is mine can they and I can't see them saying they will sentence me to prison if I'm offering to pay them can they.

Comment

And also my girlfriend would only be liable to pay if the debt was joint which it isn't so they can't make her pay it. And as far as wanting to no my financial means I have known the bills I have are my phone contract,a credit card, and Bt that's all I owe. Whatever money my girlfriend has left over is hers not mine and I no whatever is left is spent on our children or food and electric and gas. But if they ask about my partners income then I'll tell them she has hardly anything left after she pays her bills but is willing to help me pay at least ten pound a month towards this as she doesn't want to see me in trouble.and as soon as I get bck to work I will increase payments.

Comment

Since when has another person partner or not been liable for a debt that is nothing to do with them?

Comment

Exactly I agree how can my girlfriend be liable to pay it nothing to do with her. And if they ask me for her financial info not being funny but me and her may not be together next week you never no so not given them her info.

Comment

Originally posted by spampocket View Post
                          Exactly I agree how can my girlfriend be liable to pay it nothing to do with her. And if they ask me for her financial info not being funny but me and her may not be together next week you never no so not given them her info.
                          Besides, how can you be reasonably expected to divulge any of her financial details? You may simply not know how much she earns, or how she earns it.

Comment

Exactly wolf hound I do not no half the the bills my girlfriend got I mean we been together five years but the way I see it is they are her bills not mine nothing to do with me. So why should they ask or expect me to give up her financial info. This is my debt all they need to know is I don't work or receive government benefits and that my girlfriend pays my amenity bills. And that she will pay ten pound a month for this for me. Surely they can't refuse payment even if I offered to pay 3 a month and as far as they concern wondering how or where I get the money to pay them each month nothing to do with them as long as its being paid.

Comment

Oh well judgment day is nearly upon me I got to say I'm cracking myself,but will post the outcome on here if I'm not in prison for killing the Guy from welcome finance lol.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X