• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Vet Prescriptions and Bills

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vet Prescriptions and Bills

A slightly less usual one here. Yesterday, I took my beloved black lab to the vet for a recurring ear infection - he's been costing us on average £100-£150 per month for the last 4 or 5 months.

Yesterday I looked up the cost of the medicines he's been prescribed. One ear cleaner is non-prescription. They, despite knowing our financial circumstances, charged us £21.00 - we can buy it in the UK over the internet for £7.76.

The tablets are prescription only. They charged £18.00 and if they'd write a prescription, we could have bought them for £6.07.

Does anyone know if the vet has to write a prescription if asked, or whether it is something of choice? Any links, to articles, or especially legislation in Wales would be great. Obviously if they do have to, we could make a MASSIVE saving.

NOTE: This is an animal prescription NOT a human one!

Thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Vet Prescriptions and Bills

I had a prescription from the vet which I had to scan to these people http://www.viovet.co.uk/Prescription_Drugs/c1/ and saved a small fortune.
    I think they will charge for issuing the prescription and so should ask before hand or look at their list of charges.
    Just done a quick google found one vets charges £10.58

Comment

I've just worked out that assuming the vet gives the same next month (making 6 months worth), I could have saved around £450 + consultation fees as it has been the same every month. That's a VAST amount of money to us.

Comment

Has the vet said what could be causing them?

Comment

Prevention depends on identifying the underlying cause of the ear infection. In some cases the ear canal becomes moist from bathing, grooming or swimming. This moisture fosters the growth of microorganisms in the ear canal. Prevention in these cases can be as simple as cleaning the ear as previously described to remove the moisture and prevent the infection. However, in many cases an underlying cause may not be so easily identified. Dogs that suffer from allergies, either environmental, such as pollens (grasses, trees and weeds), dust mites, molds or food (beef, chicken, fish, soy, etc.) are predisposed to ear infections. This is due to the microscopic inflammation that allergies cause in the skin allowing overgrowth of bacterial and yeast organisms that normally inhabit the skin

That is why I asked

Comment

He's been prone to them since birth and has had three operations on them, and even had me injecting him daily at one stage (they made a 'potion' specially targeted at him after he'd shown he was allergic to over 85% of things they test for). Basically, he's a labrador, he goes out in the wilds every day and does the normal things dogs love and humans find gross. He gets plastered in mud, swims in every bit of water he can find and has floppy ears where it's furry and warm and an ideal breeding ground for infections. Because he's suffered for so long he's built up a tolerance to most antibiotics, but a recent ear swab showed he needs an antibiotic which would cost us about £400 per month for probably about 3 months to kill the infection, and then there's no guarantees.

Given his past, we can't afford that. He's comfortable on current treatment which keeps the infection at bay, but doesn't get rid of it. When I discovered the profits they make yesterday, I wondered if we'd be able to afford the antibiotic if he'll prescribe that and the other medication.

He's happy and has a good life (read spoilt rotten and rules the house!), but if we can make his final years more comfortable it would be even better.

Comment

Hi Labs

Poor old bugger!

Vets' charges are absurdly high aren't they?

Two suggestions (which are probably blindingly obvious anyway, sorry):

- Maybe the PDSA or Blue Cross would give you a free prescription or even free/reduced rate treatment?
              http://www.pdsa.org.uk/pdsa-vet-care
              http://www.bluecross.org.uk/2076/vet...-services.html

there may be other charities - I believe there is one called "the Dog's Trust" for example.

- If not, ask your vet for year long repeat prescription (so that you only pay the fee once rather than at every refill) and buy the meds off the internet.

aw:

Comment

I've asked my vet for a prescription this morning and they're due to phone me back. I don't think they were very happy to have been caught out for making a 300% mark up on what I could buy them for, let alone what they can.

I haven't had a phone call yet. PDSA aren't an option for us sadly as we don't claim benefits. The other charities may be, as bizarrely we are counted as living below the poverty line. :beagle:

Comment

I used to order animal medicines from a vet in Canada. Even sent priority airmail, it was at least 50% cheaper than from a UK vet.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X